cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sign in with one user name

I have a couple of user ids, with one arice74 I started having trouble logging in for the past month or so.  It would take several attempts each time just reloading the sign in page. Usually after 4 or 5 attempts it would work and I would be signed in.  This would occur using Firefox or Edge browsers.   Today I could not log in at all with it, probably making 25 attempts.  The other user ids log in fine.  User name and password are correctly typed in. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Ive also clicked the "need help signing in" and gotten log in without a password and gotten the security code method to log in instead and it does the same thing, sends me back to the log in page.  Doesn't say anything doesn't match, just reloads the log in page

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Have tried emptying cache, reloading browser, turning computer off and on.  Nothing works

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Using the mobile app on my phone it does allow me to sign in under the user id arice74.  so this is a desktop issue with my user id of arice 74.  Sorry for the multiple posts I keep trying different things and nothing works

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Sounds like you have already tried most of my usual suggestions and ruled out some things.

Other possibilities you may not have tried yet:

Try another browser -- aside from ones you have used recently, preferably the latest version of a popular browser with default settings and no add-ons installed. That, or at least a private or incognito browser window. If either of those allow you to sign in, try manually clearing just your eBay cookies in your original browsers. Sometimes clearing all cookies fails to work with a corrupt cookie, and a manual deletion of just eBay cookies is much less disruptive.

If you still have issues, try temporarily disabling add-ons (though if you are able to sign in to other eBay accounts, I would not expect an add-on conflict to affect just one account, unless there is another confounding issue involved).

If you are using a bookmark to sign in, try going to ebay.com and signing in there directly. In some cases an old bookmark may not be redirecting properly, causing problems.

If you have that eBay account linked to a social media account, try signing in that way; it may have other dependencies that are not subject to your current problem.

I once had a sign-in issue that turned out to be linked to an intermittent keyboard problem. A rare key combination -- a particular shift key when used with another key -- failed to register properly. Because that particular combination really only occurred in one of my passwords, the flaky keyboard was unnoticed until I could no longer sign in on the device with that keyboard. Though you say you do not get a "does not match" error, so that is likely not your particular issue.

If switching between accounts is a problem, you may want to consider using separate browsers for each account so you can remain signed to each account at the same time and avoiding having to sign out of one to sign in to another.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The problem seems to have gone away last night.  Perhaps an ebay tech saw the post and tweaked whatever needed to be fixed.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Problem is back and worse the last few days.  Took about 20 tries today to log in with this one id, arice74, all the rest work fine logging in.  Today about 5 times I got this screen.  I have cleared cache, rebooted, used another browser and still saw this message each time.  Please read the original post for more info, thanksebay2.jpg

Message 7 of 7
latest reply