cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Search unable to limit to local suppliers - eBay.co.uk

I noticed yesterday that I was receiving emails for saved searches that were nationwide and not limited as specified in the advanced search menu.  Again today I received notification of items from nationwide sellers and confirmed by a new manual search that the advanced option to select within 50 miles was not working.  Anyone else?  How do you shake the eBay tree?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Ran into same issue and I am in the US.  It's weird some US zip codes it works, others it does not.  Started happening to me on 8/23

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

I am seeing similar results in the US: limiting the search to a radius within a certain ZIP code does not seem to work correctly.

eburtonlab_0-1629901192155.png

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

velvet@ebay 

I am seeing similar results in the US: limiting the search to a radius within a certain ZIP code does not seem to work correctly.

eburtonlab_0-1629901192155.png

@eburtonlab @amsatbox @dixers6z96 I just played around with the search a bit and had results less than 5 miles show up for my location. I then changed the zip code to 90210 as in the screen shot, and that showed me results like what @eburtonlab got. I noticed though, that it defaulted to Sort to Best Match, and not by distance. Once I updated that in the Sort dropdown, I was shown less than 5 miles from the 90210 zip code. Will you all double check that Distance is selected for the Sort and if you still get strange results like what you've described, include a screen shot of the entire screen so that Sort order can be seen? That will help if I need to file ticket with our tech team since I can't replicate those results on my end. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I tried that.  Mine is sorted by time newly listed.  I even tried reappling the filter and changing the sort order.  Again works for some zip codes and not others.

dixers6z96_0-1629904755826.png

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

If I sort using Nearest First, local results are shown at the top, but results from further away are not filtered out as they should be. Previously it was possible to limit the search to items within a certain radius regardless of sort order.

I changed the search radius to 100 miles because I know that there are results within that area, and reran the search using Newly Listed:

eburtonlab_0-1629904746261.png

Here is the search I am using for the above results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=test&_sacat=0&_stpos=90210&_sadis=100&LH_PrefLoc=99&_...

And here is page 8 of a different search using Nearest First sort order to verify that results outside the radius are indeed shown:

eburtonlab_1-1629905013569.png

Above results are from this search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=test+123&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_stpos=90210&_sop=7&...

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

The search should be limited to the distance selected regardless of search order.  Furthermore I am getting emails listing products outside my search area.  I attach a picture of an email for Sandstone Paving, none of the results are within 50 miles of me.210825eBay.jpg210825eBayEmail.jpg

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

velvet@ebay 

If I sort using Nearest First, local results are shown at the top, but results from further away are not filtered out as they should be. Previously it was possible to limit the search to items within a certain radius regardless of sort order.

I changed the search radius to 100 miles because I know that there are results within that area, and reran the search using Newly Listed:

eburtonlab_0-1629904746261.png

Here is the search I am using for the above results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=test&_sacat=0&_stpos=90210&_sadis=100&LH_PrefLoc=99&_...

And here is page 8 of a different search using Nearest First sort order to verify that results outside the radius are indeed shown:

eburtonlab_1-1629905013569.png

Above results are from this search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=test+123&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_stpos=90210&_sop=7&...

Thanks @eburtonlab and @dixers6z96! I've filed a ticket with our tech team as you shouldn't have to use the Distance Sort option to get results within the mileage selected in the Item Location refinement. Hopefully this is something you will see fixed soon but in the meantime, you can use the Sort by Distance as a somewhat workaround to filter out the stuff that's further away; which is what you're probably doing already. 😉 Thanks for bringing this to our attention! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Same issue here.  Distance searches are completely broken and useless all of a sudden.  They seem to ignore the option and return everything -- at least for certain zip codes....

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I'm in the U.S., by the way.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Same issue here too. Saved searches with location filters now showing results for the whole USA. Even when I go the the search page and adjust the filters or sort order I get the same results. These searches are basically useless now until eBay decides to fix this bug.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

As this is happening to everyone I believe it’s an INTENTIONAL design change to the way eBay works. Unfortunately this doesn’t work for me, I’ve been using Facebook marketplace & Gumtree for some weeks now and both are way simpler and easier for local finds. Goodbye eBay! You’re search is now worse than Amazon’s.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

As this is happening to everyone I believe it’s an INTENTIONAL design change to the way eBay works.

If it had been an intentional change, eBay would have removed the option completely rather than just stopping it from working properly.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Me too.  I'm in the UK. 'Within x miles' searches are pointless as they return results from the whole country, and will presumably affect sellers when their sales drop off.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

And?  Clearly something changed on 23/24 Aug 21, something that was obviously not properly tested.  A similar event happened a couple of years back then as now no feedback or explanation.  Is it being addressed or will it revert?  How long will it take?  I am now swamped with unwanted emailed listings for my saved searches making it unusable, if this not going to fixed I would like to know so I can delete those searches.  

Message 15 of 23
latest reply