cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTN SELLERS THE COLLECTION EMAIL FROM EBAY IS A SCAM DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING

ATTN SELLERS. THE COLLECTION EMAIL FROM EBAY IS A SCAM. DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: ATTN SELLERS THE COLLECTION EMAIL FROM EBAY IS A SCAM DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING

It looks that way, I got the email an hour ago, and WOW is it legit looking (I have two selling accounts, both have fees paid up to date), the message came from a very legit-looking 'ebay.com' email address, and the amnount in question matched EXACTLY what the outstanding fee amount was before it was paid! How can that be?? This is either a very sloppy mistake or a good old fashioned hack 😞 It's too real, something's up.  The wait time to talk with someone at ebay is over four hours as of a few minutes ago. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: ATTN SELLERS THE COLLECTION EMAIL FROM EBAY IS A SCAM DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING

I don't think it is a scam or fishing. I think ebay just screwed up and sent collection messages to everyone regardless of whether they paid the invoice or not.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

>>and the amnount in question matched EXACTLY what the outstanding fee amount was before it was paid

IF this is not a legitimate eBay (screwup) email, there is no way "hackerz" would have access to that information unless either eBay was hacked and they have access to the billing system or to seller accounts (very unlikely), your eBay account is compromised and they were able to extract that information from your account dashboard and phish you, your email account is compromised and the eBay payment emails were intercepted/monitored for the data to phish you with, or your computer or phone or device are compromised with malware.

Since multiple users are reporting this, it's either not a spoof (OP provided ZERO evidence that it is) and is just an eBay screwup, or it's a well managed phishing campaign leveraging compromised seller eBay accounts, email accounts, or computers/devices.

Anyone wants to can PM me the raw source of the email and I'll look at it and maybe put this to rest.

(and I mean RAW source including all message headers and content - not a copy/paste of the visible message which is useless. eBay forum Private messages have a 60,000 char limit, so it might need to be broken into multiple chunks, but probably not, since that type of email typically runs 20-50k in size unless images are embedded)
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I don't know, there was a 'us@ebay.com' address, and that's something I've never seen before. Looks like somebody at the eBay headquarters hit a bad link on their lunch break...ON THE COMPANY COMPUTER but of course, that's a joke based on a possible scenario. If I were a CEO of a big company, I'd ban employees going online and doing personal things on the company's PCs or wireless.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Even assuming the message is an error, I am still a bit worried that eBay will continue the error and impose draconian penalties on people who got that notice.  They do not like to admit mistakes.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

There is another post that says its an ebay error which has caused everyone to get this email. They are going to send emails explaing the error - eventually.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

If the software that generates the message is in error, then it's possible for the software that collects the payments to be in error also. Keep an eye open for double payments from your PayPal account.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I got this one as well.  It appears rather legitimate. Or, it's a very good attempt to gleen private info from its recipients. Either way,  my eBay account and PayPal transaction info BOTH agree that my balance is current.  I have the confirmation email from eBay as well. 

The math doesn't add up. I'm current but then eBay flags me as past due.  This reeks of scam to high heaven.  It isn't like corporations don't attempt to double-dip on customer fees though.  So, who wouldn't be surprised by that?

If your in a similar situation as myself then I would recommend forwarding the message to spoof@ebay.com and then deleting the message from your inbox.  That is what I did.  

If the email shows up again then I would contact eBay at that point.  That would indicate perhaps that it did originate from eBay.  Otherwise, I am not keen to wait on hold with eBay for who knows how long unless it's absolutely necessary.

In the meantime, I am interested to see how this issue resolves itself.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I received this email, and let me tell you I was very upset. 1st off having the subject in capital letters reading KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING-PAYMENT NEEDED. is not only rude and unprofessional, it was eBay's fault. I have always made my payments on time, because it is drafted from my bank account.

2nd when I did call eBay to voice my concern the very 1st thing you heard was a recording telling sellers who have received an email with an unpaid account please disregard it. We as sellers should have at least received an email from eBay apologizing for their mishap yet another glitch. I and other sellers had to take the time to call customer support to hear a recording no less. Shame on you. I have been a top rated seller and continue to be a top rated seller. Please take the time to acknowledge your great sellers and let them know. Those emails should read WE AT EBAY THANK YOU FOR A JOB WELL DONE.

Elizabeth
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It's definitely NOT a legitimate email from ebay, because all the links in the email are being redirected to somewhere else.  Which means, this is a phishing scam.

"there is a fine line between having a hobby and having a mental illness"
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@themudduck wrote:

It's definitely NOT a legitimate email from ebay, because all the links in the email are being redirected to somewhere else.  Which means, this is a phishing scam.

Wrong. eBay staff has stated in multiple threads that the email is from eBay, and was sent IN ERROR. They've also sent out an email stating exactly that.

Please stop posting claims that it's a phish, when eBay has already admitted they sent it.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply