cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT: How to Remove Candle Wax?

I have some elegant glass candelabras and there is pooled wax at the bottom of the parts that hold the candles. Is there an effective way to remove it? 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Put the piece in warm water, it should warm the wax enough for you to dislodge it.  You might need some chopsticks or other nonmetalic intstrument to help it along.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Put the piece in warm water, it should warm the wax enough for you to dislodge it.  You might need some chopsticks or other nonmetalic intstrument to help it along.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That is a good idea, as I was going to give them a good washing in hot water anyway. I found several various patterns of them in elegant glass today at GW* and the hot wster washing will get the price tags off too.

There is nothing small enough to get down into the candle holders to scrape out the softened wax so I'm hoping paper towels will do the job.

I thought about using my hair dryer to get the wax runny but they need to be washed anyway.

• *this never happens but someone must have donated many pieces of Elegant glass as I found & bought several pieces  besides the candelabra, including some Heisey. I passed up some other pieces.

What was the person who donated those thinking!?!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

For stubborn wax that won't come off, carefully put the piece in the freezer if its fits...give it a few minutes and the wax should slide or chip right out. I do this for for all stuck on wax..
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I ended up soaking them in very hot water for 10 or 15 minutes, then using the end of an appropriate-sized brush and pure acetone to scrub out the softened wax. That worked well.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply