cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a coffee pot, that I believe is early Nippon.

Can anyone help....I believe this coffee pot is Nippon but there is a gold mark where nippon should be. I got it from my fathers aunt who's husband was in the war and brought it back. I've had it 50 yrs. I want to list it. Can anyone tell me how to list it , what information I could include and a fair price. Pot is in great condition, lid badly damaged. Thanks

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

where Nippon would be. I know this pot is at least 50 years old because that's how long we have had it. We got it from my fathers great aunt who has been gone many years. Her husband was a soldier in the war in Japan. He was also in France and brought some things like this back. I want to list this for my parents who are having a very hard time right now. I don't know anything else about this piece and don't know how to describe it, or a fair price. The coffee pot has no damage. The lid is badly damaged. Can someone help?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply

The best place to ask this would be on the pottery and glass board. They will need a photo of the bottom.

Nippon would, of course, be much older that 50 years.

Radine

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Just as a probable, Nippon is not that unusual and the badly damaged (broken and reglued) lid would reduce the value to zip unless someone has a lid and needs the pot.

Radine

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

try the pottery and glass board.

Put Nippon or Pottery (ceramic) in the title. They won't give you dollar value, you'll have to research but they might ID it for you (and give you a reference) or give you some links to ID.

You'll find the "P and G" board under one of those links to discussion boards. I think it's category specific or something like that. yup...here.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/bd-p/275

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Nippon just means Japan.  You'd need to post a pic of the mark or check on gotheborg.com to identify it.

The mark could be important, but until it can be identified, don't get your hopes up too high.  There was a lot of mass produced porcelain out of Japan during that time period.  Your piece is pretty, but the damage to the lid will really impact any value.

- Suzanne -
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

What Radine suggested/said.

When/if you make a post over on the Pottery and Glass board, you may want to describe it as a chocolate pot rather than a coffee pot.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

With the damaged lid, I wouldn't bother listing it.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Years ago I sold a similar piece with no lid.  The guy refered to the lid as the money piece.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The high spout makes it a chocolate pot.

Janet

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

This has been moved to the PGP board.

As Janet said, it's a Chocolate Pot, not a coffee pot.  A picture of the bottom, and the mark is needed. 

In general we don't suggest values for pieces.  List it at the least amount you are willing to accept, keeping in mind that with the lid broken it's value will be significantly less then if perfect. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It might be a tough sell with the damaged lid.  I found one that looks to be the same shape as yours that sold in 2008.  Hope this is helpful.

$63.99

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nippon-chocolate-pot-hand-paint-wild-roses-gold

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Bottom and mark please!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply