cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on this black amethyst footed dish with white drizzles

EDzPDmXeRdeNEkimIPKFJg.jpgzyAuC3ngSdellozd7Rd4Pw.jpgnjQ+d%nIQ+2JOgzswgDqXA.jpg

This is black amethyst glass and that is about all I know about it.  I thought I saw this stuff on the front of a glass collector's guide and they remarked about it being hard to come by now.  I simply cannot figure it out.  I thought it was possibly Hazel Atlas at first but then it does not resemble their drizzle stuff and I was also told they only did black and not black amethyst glass.  Its 2" tall and 6" in diameter so not exactly big enough to be a console dish.  I feel what I think is a rough seam so does that mean it is molded or pressed?  I do not think it came with a lid.  I feel it has some age to it and I would think it is American but that is only a guess.   any help is very much appreciated.  TYIA 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help on this black amethyst footed dish with white drizzles

It is attributed to L.E. Smith and is a little unusual IMO I have collected back amethyst for years and this is the first I have seen. I have a large sugar shaker in this pattern one book I think refers to it as veined onyx

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I thought I remembered seeing that name and something to do with this but then I could not find it again I will try to look this up now Thank you for the direction It's been driving me batty and I ain't got far to go on that trip!! TYTY @heather699
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@heather699 Do you think it makes a difference that mine is actually black amethyst? I am not seeing reference to the other stuff being black amethyst but just black glass This is so confusing!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Black GLASS aaaand Black AMETHYST are often describing the same item. I have a lot of amethyst which you can see purple in the glass when held to a light. In volume #1 of Black Glass by Toohey a lot is amethyst and there are also Black (Opaque) pieces also.

I will check and see what pieces would be primarily black without the purple/amethyst color and get back with you but it may be tommorow.

Well I have it right in front of me.................

Viking glass mid century opaque black

Imperial candlewick opaque

A lot of your westmoreland is opaque

U.S. glass in satin finish was opaque

and many others

Maryland Central and Cambridge all did an amethyst/purple glass and many other early maker showed amethyst in there glassI have several OLD barber and liquor bottles --amethyst

The two types are really very interchangeable and can change from maker to maker and some may have both.

I have found most that is opaque are from the 50's on though.

I have found in antiques you should never say never as it is much like the english language because there are always exceptions to the rule.

Good luck and happy hunting!!!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you so much!!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply