cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real photo cards vs photocards

some ebay dealers can't seem to resist calling a photo postcard a Real Photo Post Card (RPPC).     A true Real Photo card was developed on individual postcard blanks by a photographer.  There are a lot of commerically, industrially produced photo postcards that are indeed real photographs but the card is not a Real Photo.   You can't really search for real photo cards on ebay because there is so much noise.

I've seen cards by Tucks on which is printed 'real photo' postcard, and indeed it is really a photo, but I don't believe these are actually considered RPPC. Sometimes chomes are called RPPC which is totally wrong.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It's possible some resellers do not know the difference but I agree it makes it very difficult using the search terms ' RPPC ' or ' real photo ' or ' real photo post card '.

However...I'd just be happy with some type of filter for all the reproductions listed within the real photo post card category.  These are easy to spot of course but its amounts to more frustration while searching for the real McCoy.  I have no problem with people selling reprductions, but having them sold within a specific category would be a great improevement. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I have ranted against the reproductions before on this board!

At a postcard show, there is a very specific use of the RPPC term.  Speaking of which, I should be at York this week...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

York?  Okay - what postcard show am I missing?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

York PA, probably the largest postcard show in the USA runs Friday through Sat (11/20-21).  I went both days last year and didn't get to look at everything.  There is also a fine local show in Lancaster PA the Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving that I will go to this year.    

If there is a bigger show in the US, I'd like to know about it. I've been to the April internatioonal show in Chicago which was big, but not as large as York.   

I believe there is a show in Belgium annually that is larger.   I'm really curious about what I might find in  Yunzhou Antique Mall in Shanghai, but I don't expect to get there anytime soon.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

is there a particular research site that you'd recommend for a new person to selling postcards where I could find out more?  I've come across a box of family postcards from the 1920s through 50s & would appreciate direction.

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If your talking about real photo post cards, google search thisw term ' RPPC stamp box ID '.  Your first result should be from a web site named Playle's.   They have very easy to understand chart determing age based on the stamp box.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for this post. I had become confused over the subject. My understanding is that if I took my Kodak camera (in 1915, say), took some pictures of my family, then at the drug store had the images printed on postcards, those would be Real Photo postcards because they went from camera film to postcard stock.

If it goes this way: someone takes a picture, film is developed, image is commerically printed by a postcard company onto cards, the cards are sold in stores, etc., those are NOT Real Photo Postcards. They are commerical postcards whose image happens to be a photograph instead of drawing.

Does this sum it up correctly?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply