cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too All Plus-Size Sellers

A really clear and detailed description is SO important! Particularly measurements! As we all know, "3x" can run anywhere from a 45" bust to a 55" bust, or more. Please tell us the exact bust size, and please take a second to multiply it so we don't have to do the math. If the garment measures 30" across the front, the bust measurement is 60" (unless it's a really unusual garment). Just write 60" and save us the mental gymnastics. Length is also important, whether it's tops or pants or skirts. The more of this information you give, the easier it will be for us to buy your item. Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Good point to consider and put into practice
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! For posting what I keep telling myself to place a post on and never do.  I get SO FRUSTRATED on Ebay with clothing.  I buy plus size so I don't see other clothing posts. But I just go nuts when I look at stuff and save it and pretty much, 9 out of 10 items I save to watch I have to send an email to each one to ask the same question over and over again....

How many inches...

Most important for me, is how many inches is the bust, around the bottom and length.  Yes, because the clothing does vary so much.  It's time consuming and a pain in the ass to send emails out for so many items and wait, to know if I can bid or buy or not until someone gets back to me.  I am sure that sellers think it's a pain in the ass to have people ask them about specific inches seperately.  Around the bottom of blouses is important because a  lot of them fit in the bust but, for those of us with extra and then with a little extra around the hips.....Anyway, thanks for bringing it up!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I find this problem on more than just plus size. The problem is that you have all these 'newbies' who haven't sold or bought any clothing before, they list thru their phone and then don't want to do a bunch of typing on their itty bitty screens, plus I think thy're just being lazy. And that's why we now have a huge problem. Then they seem "like wow, you want measurements, how do I measure???"

so I agree with the plus size, but as I've found it on men's ,and regular size too. 

Plus you have another twit load that have no idea there is a difference from one brand to the next. I mean if all you wear is sweats and t-shirts, what can you expect from them ?

So very Sorry  if I have offended anyone, it wasn't my purpose, but I think you can see this is driving me starkers.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

its hard for us as a seller. We do give basic measurements. some things like robes are hard to get an accurate measurement. Hip measurements are hard. If you're 5' and someone else is 5'8" the hips will lay slightly different.

Measurements even among the same brand will differ depending on which factory that makes it. If you have tight margins, and you can use an inch less material here and an half inch less there you might get one extra garment out of the bolt of cloth.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Scout, I've been selling plus-sized clothing on eBay since 1999. I've found that if you provide the bust and hip measurements, along with the length, women can pretty much figure it out in terms of where their hips are, etc. Yes, some garments are harder to measure than others. I sell a number of stretch-waist pants, and I measure the relaxed waist then stretch to nearly maximum and give both measurements. I always give inseam length as well. My point is that far too many sellers are too lazy (or trying to sell too much) to provide even the most basic measurements, and others have taken to laying the garment flat and telling the buyer what THAT measurement is. How hard is it to do the math, so to speak, for the buyer? I aim to provide the best service, along with the best items, I can. Good measurements, and a willingness to answer questions promptly, are both part of the equation.

Another thing. When I have to write the seller to request measurements, I may--or may not--get an answer in time to bid on the auction. But NEVER do I see that answer published with the listing! There is a simple check-box to use that sends an email to the buyer AND posts the question and answer to the listing, thus eliminating the need to answer the same question six times.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I've sold clothing off and on here on eBay for approx 3 years. I have Always measured the clothing I have put up for sale. In selling higher end clothing such as Ralph Lauren and Talbots, I have found a HUGE diference from one's size 14w to another. I mean you really can't be the same size with these two manufacturers. With talbots you wear a size 18 with Ralph Lauren you wear a size 16 or a 14w and this is for the same person on the same day within a 10 minute ime period.

So you see the problems…

I have always found that hanging the items from my shower curtain rod -WHEN IT"S DRY- that this makes using a yard stick to measure quite easy. or laying it down on a bed.I only measure : underarm to underarm, on the back ,from neckline to hem, from top of shoulder to cuff, from collar across the shoulder to the top of the sleeve ~ this is all for tops and coats. For pants and skirts, I measure across the waist, the front rise - which is center of crotch to top of waistband, inside inseam, outside outseam and sometimes a back rise & the width of the pant legat the hem and then the width of the hem of the skirt.

I don't waste my time with a hip measure as that part of the body can vary too much from person to person and depending on the rise of the pnt from garment to garment. I find that measuring as I take my photos makes it all so much easier.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

@cal_man2002 wrote:

its hard for us as a seller. We do give basic measurements. some things like robes are hard to get an accurate measurement. Hip measurements are hard. If you're 5' and someone else is 5'8" the hips will lay slightly different.

Measurements even among the same brand will differ depending on which factory that makes it. If you have tight margins, and you can use an inch less material here and an half inch less there you might get one extra garment out of the bolt of cloth.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for your post. I too believe that if the buyer has to ask less questions you make more sales. infact, I experimented with a few of my listings. I had multiples of the same item in different sizes so I listed some with complete measurements and some without measurements and 50 cents cheaper. I got quite a few question on the no measurement listings and much more sales wiothout questions on the with measurements in the listings ones. When I list my item I have to touch the item anyway it takes less than 30 seconds to do the measurements verses digging the item out of the stockroom and bringing it into the office to measure it and then respond to a sellers question. heart love more sales with less work!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I have been sellinga while and sometimes list measurments  so I find this duscussion very helpful to me a big reminder to take the time to measure it all which i am going to check it all out now and put measurements...Thank yall~!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Measurements and many photos would help in selling clothing in general.

I have 2 skirts on the plus size which I've listed and I'm very surprised that they don't have as many watchers as I've expected.

Is the plus size on the title putting them off?  

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I don't know that it puts people off. It does not bother me, but OTOH it doesn't add much. A woman who wears a size 22 knows she is a plus size, and almost certainly searches by her actual size rather than "plus size." I've also often seen sizes 14 and 16 characterized as "extra large" or "plus size," which is incorrect and also keeps serious buyers from even looking.

I say don't use that label and spend the extra characters on adding more real description: color, brand, etc.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I discovered a few things yesterday. I went to our eBay store (a.p.treasures1107), and did a search on Plus, in our clothing category, and in specific clothing categories, like dresses, tops, etc. It found Plus even if it wasn't in the Title - because the listing has the appropriate Plus size in Item Specifics. So once you find a store that you like, you can easily narrow down Plus sizes, or any other size, by types of clothing, or all clothing. (That assumes that the store has set up appropriate categories!) I also use the sizes according to what eBay calls them - anything over 18 is considered Plus. I also tried searching for Plus size dresses in eBay, and got over 700,000 items! Lori
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

If I were you rather than saying 'Plus Size' ( btw ,that term doesn'y offend me and I am a fluffy girl ) just list the size of the garment in the title  ie:

' Women's size 22w Clem Cadiddlehop slacks'

always make sure that you put in a 'W' if the size has one such as 22W or 14W. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Because sizes vary so much according to brand, my personal preference is to see a limiting measurement in the title.  For example, for most clothing the bust or waist measurement is critical for me.  If it won't fit there, the rest of the details are irrelevant, and belong in the description for further refinement.

@doodledog8wrote:

If I were you rather than saying 'Plus Size' ( btw ,that term doesn'y offend me and I am a fluffy girl ) just list the size of the garment in the title  ie:

' Women's size 22w Clem Cadiddlehop slacks'

always make sure that you put in a 'W' if the size has one such as 22W or 14W. 

Lea
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I hope to add some plus size listings in the next few months. I have a lot of new items in inventory, some NWOT, but I am so pressed for space right now that I can't move. Also, there are cats in my home so I just prefer to keep everything sealed until I can get a no-cat place.

I've got a climate controlled building in the works - it is being designed currently - that I can move my inventory/photography into.

I do buy plus size clothing myself though. I was looking this morning but about everything I looked at was as much or more than it is new on other sites.

The other thing that keeps me from buying more is Chinese sizing. I mean jeez, I bought a lot of cute dresses in a size 4x that had a 48 inch bust. I don't want that to happen again, so I am leary of all 'new' item sellers unless I know the brand.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply