cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay ripping off sellers with new payment scam

I'm glad ebay finally ditched PayPal, but unfortunately they've adopted their illegal tactics. 

I sold an item on Wednesday, they wanted my banking info and I gave it to them.  They said it would take two days to get my funds.  Today (Friday - two days later) I got an email saying that I hadn't filled out the requested info.  This time they wanted new info - info they didn't ask for in the first place.  Then they said it would take ANOTHER two days to get my money - that's Sunday, I can't ship on Sunday.

Meanwhile, my dashboard says I'm late with shipping?! 

IOW, my seller rating will slip because of *EBAY'S* delays.  It's obvious that they're just playing games with the intent of keeping my money in their pocket as long as possible.  

I am not comfortable giving ebay my bank account information in the first place, but I have no choice if I want to sell on ebay.   I have no recourse if I have a dispute with ebay - not only are they are judge, jury, executioner and banker, but they've already got my money in their pocket. 

That's blatant monopoly behavior.  

If you're unhappy with this newest scam, write to your state attorney general's office.  It's not like ebay will change their behavior just because you're unhappy about it.

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

If 2020 GMV was $37.53B, how'd they clear 10B?

The River: 490B / 21.33B...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Must be excellent money managers.

Message 16 of 79
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

That's not the measure of a monopoly. Maybe you don't understand what that word means.

I'm pretty sure that the FTC *does* understand what that word means -

"Courts do not require a literal monopoly before applying rules for single firm conduct; that term is used as shorthand for a firm with significant and durable market power"

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/monopo...

ebay most assuredly has 'significant and durable market power.' 

Message 17 of 79
latest reply

@veronicabooksandart wrote:

If 2020 GMV was $37.53B, how'd they clear 10B?

The River: 490B / 21.33B...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Must be excellent money managers.

ebay is a publicly traded company, their profit & loss is a matter of public record.  Here's one:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/507881/ebays-annual-net-revenue/

Their profit margin is due to the fact that computers do most of the work. 

Message 18 of 79
latest reply

Then cheerleaders are seriously underpaid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
They should start a union.

Message 19 of 79
latest reply

If eBay is a monopoly, then what's Google?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Is eBay even Baltic and Mediterranean or the two utilities let alone railroads?

Message 20 of 79
latest reply

Chance perhaps...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Payout hold. Update account details. Go back three spaces.
eBay Seller of Record Chargeback. Forfeit $20.
Congratulations! Pay with a credit card get and get a $5 coupon!
Etc.

No one has to land on eBay.

Message 21 of 79
latest reply

Then cheerleaders are seriously underpaid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
They should start a union.

Cheerleaders ARE seriously underpaid - at least in part because one company has a monopoly over everything related to cheer leading.  (a typical NFL cheerleader makes about $150 per game, trains on her own time, and has to buy her own uniform from the monopoly at whatever price they dictate.  Meanwhile, the NFL makes over a billion dollars on each Super Bowl alone.)

https://www.classaction.org/news/class-action-alleges-varsity-brands-wields-monopoly-control-over-al...

To address your other points: Yes, ebay owns both utilities, all four railroads, and has hotels on Baltic and Mediterranean both.   In fact, they own 27 of the 28 available properties.  They're also the banker with the power to choose which Chance card you draw and to rewrite the rules whenever they want. 

If you seriously want to argue this one, please list three online auction houses with profits comparable to ebay, and explain why you don't sell on those sites instead.

Message 22 of 79
latest reply

eBay's auction facility is nice in the sense you can serve up a floor price and expect to get 30% on top of that half the time vis-a-vis BIN.

But I don't particularly care whether the site is auction or FP.

It has to be PP seller protection only. The personal and financial data footprint has to be small as possible.

PP is nine times the size of eBay; free now to do as it pleases.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
At least the landscape for this type of approach can't get any worse. You take an all purpose clone with a Shopify ad model and somehow make it happen.

But yes, I haven't figured that out yet.

I suspect things will change once it goes public; may their tea-for-two marketing dept. enjoy it while it lasts.

Message 23 of 79
latest reply

@direwolf wrote:

@azh-71 wrote:

@direwolf wrote:

@azh-71 wrote:

To be fair, eBay has been peppering you with messages about the transition to managed payments and how to get ready for it for a couple of years now.

... which still doesn't give them the right to keep my money in their pocket.

My funds are in my account in about 24 hours after the payout is initiated, faster than it's been with paypal recently.   But your problem is not that the transfer is long or that eBay is holding your money hostage.  The problem is that you originally did not set up your payments correctly.  Did you, by any chance, skip the part where they ask you for DOB and such and imply that it is not a required info at this time?

They don't need my DOB in order to initiate a bank transfer.  Nor do they need to wait an additional two days before asking for that information.   (nor do they *need* to restrict payment methods - in the early days payment was entirely in the hands of the seller)

"The problem is that you originally did not set up your payments correctly."

No, the problem is that ebay has the monopoly power to dictate what 'set up correctly' means.  If they had to actually compete in an open market, they'd have to choose between pocketing my money and retaining me as a customer.

You provided your DOB when you OPENED your Ebay account originally.  It was required info because you must be 18 or older to have an Ebay account.

When you register for MP they ask you for three things initially, your SSN, bank routing number and your checking account number.  If you did not provide all three things, then they can't set up your account.

This is Ebay's site, they own it, we don't.  So YES Ebay gets to set the rules for their site.  That doesn't constitute a monopoly it only means that this is their site and they have every right to set the rules within the laws of the USA.  Just like any other corporation has the right.  

You can check other similar sites to Ebay.  All of the similar sites have had their own money processing programs for years.  Ebay is the last of the bigger sites to go this direction.  And all of these sites have a delay in you receiving your money.  None of this is new for those that sell on Ebay and other sites as well.

In MP it takes them 1-2 days to process a payment.  Then on the next available BUSINESS day it will transfer if you are doing daily deposits and for those on Weekly deposits on Tuesdays.  I do the weekly deposits.  My deposit is sent every Tuesday morning and it is received at my bank before noon on Wednesday.  I do bank with a major bank so timing can vary if you are using a smaller more local bank.  It can take 1-4 days to have your deposit recorded at your bank.

Because you don't like something doesn't make it a "scam".  That word is used for everything when it has to do with anything some poster doesn't like about Ebay.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 24 of 79
latest reply

True. For instance, a Google search for "Jewelery" returns an earned Etsy category link.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
All things being equal (which they're not), this simple experiment, applied to whatever it is one sells, should best gauge potential sales - if not seller experience.

Etsy has the same payment program as Ebay.

Message 25 of 79
latest reply

@direwolf wrote:

True. For instance, a Google search for "Jewelery" returns an earned Etsy category link.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
All things being equal (which they're not), this simple experiment, applied to whatever it is one sells, should best gauge potential sales - if not seller experience.

Etsy and ebay are not equal - they're in completely different businesses.  But if you really want to compare apples to oranges, ebay's profits for 2020 are 'between $9.56 billion and $9.76 billion' while Etsy reported a mere $349 million.

A more relevant simple experiment is to ask yourself why you're selling on ebay rather than Etsy.   Another simple experiment would be to ask random people to name three general-purpose, online auction houses.  I sincerely doubt many would be able to name more than one.

The fact is, ebay has the overwhelming majority of the general-purpose, online auction house business.  This allows them to dictate terms - just so long as those of us paying their wages allow them to do so. 

Ebay is not an "auction house" anymore.  Well over 80% of the listings are Buy It Now listings.  Auctions don't do as well as they use to years ago.  Some categories still do well with auctions, but most don't.  With that said this past year seems to have been a bit better for auctions as I'm sure people were looking for ways to entertain themselves and auctions can be fun.

I'm not aware of any other site similar to Ebay that even have auctions.

Ebay can "dictate terms" because they own the site.  We do not.  

Message 26 of 79
latest reply

That doesn't change the fact that earned Google search category links best drive buyers to sites admitting strongest sales while adding legitimacy. They are, afterall, earned. I sell empty cigar boxes. Per Google, I should sell on eBay or Etsy. Only a fool would try to sell them where I do... they have only 33 employees and a useless ad model!
--------------------------------------------------------------
But MP TOS is a non-starter. eBay owes me money for overcharged Fed-Ex shipping. They even stonewall Notice of Arbitration.

I still buy here. Things change.

eBay is clearly in decline. They do what is necessary to pay the bills. It's becoming a question of downsizing fast enough.

For my part, I'm only interested in Paypal-driven marketplaces in terms of seller experience.

Etsy has around 800-900 employees.

Ebay financials do not show it is in financial decline, so where are you getting your information from to show Ebay is "decline"?

Message 27 of 79
latest reply

Shopify uses Adyen too.

Message 28 of 79
latest reply

I'm a bit reticent this time around to have you place-hold the football for me as I always end up flat on my back... with ever increasing recovery time...

I read a post here from an Etsy user they only require (i.e., store) the last four digits of SSN to initially KYC you. And we've already established that Mercari doesn't ask for SSN until you reach around $5K in sales per their community.  But let's agree not to belabor this as it gets us nowhere.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to offer me free 5 cent psychiatrist advice however. I'm a good listener.

Message 29 of 79
latest reply

"For the full year, we expect eBay's revenue to decline from $10.8 billion in 2019 to $9.7 billion in 2020." - Forbes Jun 24, 2020

Forbes got it right. Amazon had record GMV of $490B. All other online marketplaces grew in 2020.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remarkably profitable however; eBay that is.

Message 30 of 79
latest reply