cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not using PayPal anymore?

I got a message from eBay saying to update my account details.

"It’s now simpler to get paid on eBay

Getting paid has changed: Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid out and the remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. Get set up in a few easy steps."

I primarily just tend to leave all the money I receive in my PayPal, so I wanted to ask for clarification: does this mean sellers can no longer use PayPal as a means of payment? We have to store the money in a bank account now?

I also saw something saying eBay raised their fees. Is that also true? 

Thanks for clarifying.

Message 1 of 496
latest reply
495 REPLIES 495

@mam98031 wrote:

@vintagewinecollector wrote:

No, it was from before in 2018, but there has been nothing to change that, so I am not sure what the issue is. 

The Only issue I had was you and another poster had said Ebay announced the contract that same day when the fact is it was 2 years ago that they entered into that contract.  And your closing remark on the other thread that I did not copy into this thread.  

It was in the press release from January 31,2018 in the Ebay News under Payments section:

Additionally, eBay and PayPal have aligned on terms to offer PayPal as a way to pay at checkout on the eBay intermediated model until July 2023. PayPal will remain an important partner to eBay.

Message 16 of 496
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vintagewinecollector wrote:

No, it was from before in 2018, but there has been nothing to change that, so I am not sure what the issue is. 

The Only issue I had was you and another poster had said Ebay announced the contract that same day when the fact is it was 2 years ago that they entered into that contract.  And your closing remark on the other thread that I did not copy into this thread.  

It was in the press release from January 31,2018 in the Ebay News under Payments section:

Additionally, eBay and PayPal have aligned on terms to offer PayPal as a way to pay at checkout on the eBay intermediated model until July 2023. PayPal will remain an important partner to eBay.

Thank you, I am aware of those facts.  Now the other poster is as well.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 496
latest reply

The problem I have with giving my bank account numbers to EBAY is the fact that they say it is secure but so many times someone or scammers get into the system and get those numbers. And then, your accounts are wiped out.  With PayPal, they are using my credit card for selling and buying and it is safe since you cannot be charged for someone using it without your authority. I may go with Craig's List or Facebook for selling instead of EBAY. Unless EBAY changing it requirements and allows you to use a credit card for selling.

Message 18 of 496
latest reply

@tangil wrote:

The problem I have with giving my bank account numbers to EBAY is the fact that they say it is secure but so many times someone or scammers get into the system and get those numbers. And then, your accounts are wiped out.  With PayPal, they are using my credit card for selling and buying and it is safe since you cannot be charged for someone using it without your authority. I may go with Craig's List or Facebook for selling instead of EBAY. Unless EBAY changing it requirements and allows you to use a credit card for selling.

@tangil 

When?  Please provide details as that should be big news.  Ebay was hacked ONCE in 2014 and no financial data was lost or compromised.  Don't confuse individual members getting their accounts hacked verse the entire site.  The two just aren't the same.

Late spring this year my PP account was hacked.  Not the entire site, but my account was.  That is absolutely scary stuff.  

Ebay has been around for 25+ years now.  They have shown they are capable of keeping our financial info safe as they have had back up funding sources and auto payment information on the Seller invoice on file for many years for members.  

If you don't want to transition to MP, that is completely up to you.  But you don't have to come up with any reason to justify not transitioning, it is all your decision to make.  The reason you outline here is no reason to not go into MP as the same holds true for PP and any other site that has your information.

Message 19 of 496
latest reply

i'm pretty much done with ebay as far as selling, there is no way that i'm about to link my checking account online. i don't care how safe it may seem, too much security breach these days

Message 20 of 496
latest reply

@mcr8942 wrote:

i'm pretty much done with ebay as far as selling, there is no way that i'm about to link my checking account online. i don't care how safe it may seem, too much security breach these days

What many of us do is set up a separate checking account to attach MP to.  I've had one for awhile now.  I sell on three sites.  I have them all linked to this one checking account.  It works great for me and makes accounting for the sales much easier and without mixing it up with my personal checking account.  I highly recommend it.

@mcr8942 

Message 21 of 496
latest reply

I would never give my birthday and SSN to ebay. I have a business and and EIN but they are not taking that. If they eliminate PP  and don't give the option to use my biz account info then I am done with ebay. 

Message 22 of 496
latest reply

You gladly gave your SSN to PayPal, as we all did. See ya.

Message 23 of 496
latest reply

So seller's will no longer have payments from buyers going into a PP account.  Instead, the payments will go into the seller's checking account.

Buyers will be able to pay for Ebay purchases with PP for another couple years. Then the buyer's payment method will probably be a cc.

Is my [brief] summary correct, as far as we know right now?

Thanks

Message 24 of 496
latest reply

@lowell888 wrote:

So seller's will no longer have payments from buyers going into a PP account.  Instead, the payments will go into the seller's checking account.

Buyers will be able to pay for Ebay purchases with PP for another couple years. Then the buyer's payment method will probably be a cc.

Is my [brief] summary correct, as far as we know right now?

Thanks

Close.

The buyer's payment, no matter the method they may use to make the payment, goes into the seller's MP account.  1-2 days later that payment will clear and become Available for the seller.  That money will then transfer to the seller's bank account on the next Business Day if they are on Daily deposits, or on Tuesday mornings if they are on Weekly deposits.  

Once MP makes the transfer it goes into the ACH banking system.  From there it is no longer in the hands of MP but the banks.  How long it takes that transfer to actually land in your bank will depend on the banks.  For me, I do Weekly Deposits and my money is in my bank before Noon on Wednesdays, I do bank with a large bank.  For those using smaller more local banks it may take longer.  1-5 days.

Message 25 of 496
latest reply

this sucks..... been with eBay and PP for as long as they have been doing their thing.... time to leave. Who's going to make sure I get reimbursed if I don't receive an item or have and issue? The money will be in someone else account.  eBay going to reach in the bank account and get the money? What if there isn't any funds? Sounds like poo to me.

Message 26 of 496
latest reply

@raven-otis wrote:

this sucks..... been with eBay and PP for as long as they have been doing their thing.... time to leave. Who's going to make sure I get reimbursed if I don't receive an item or have and issue? The money will be in someone else account.  eBay going to reach in the bank account and get the money? What if there isn't any funds? Sounds like poo to me.

What are you talking about?  Why would MP send your money to someone else?  Clearly there are some misunderstanding as to how this process works.

Message 27 of 496
latest reply

Same here.  And it's going to be goodbye to ebay.

Message 28 of 496
latest reply

I got that message too, re "managed payments."  It's a deal-breaker for me.  😠

Message 29 of 496
latest reply

I just canceled my ebay store.  Soon the rest of my listings will follow.  It was fun while it lasted, for over twenty years here.  Ebay has gone to h*ll in a handbasket.

Message 30 of 496
latest reply