cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay must be hurting as os August 17th NO MORE AAMERICAN EXPRESS

American Express does charge the client more than other CC companies, but for the consumer it is a win win.

If I owned a company as large as eBay I would take your $$$$$ anyway you want to give it to me.

Imagine Amazon telling the customers they no longer take American Express.

eBay must seriously looking at their numbers and they ain't lookin good!!!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I bet it has to do with chargebacks, buyers have no skin in the game anymore. If the eBay avenue doesn't work go for the nuclear option via chargeback 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There are a lot of places that won't take American Express.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@my_boston_baked_beans wrote:

Imagine Amazon telling the customers they no longer take American Express.

@my_boston_baked_beans  actually, Amazon had a very similar tussle with Visa over fees in the UK in 2021 

https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-europe-united-kingdom-432a2c1176f5a99310f9c56b01c7dc3... 

Published 11:20 AM EDT, November 17, 2021
LONDON (AP) — Amazon says it will stop accepting Visa credit cards issued in the United Kingdom because of a dispute over fees, marking growing tensions between the companies.

The online retail giant said in a message Wednesday to customers that they won’t be able to use the payment company’s U.K. credit cards starting Jan. 19, blaming “the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions.”

Shoppers will still be able to use Visa debit cards and other credit cards including Mastercard and American Express, Amazon said. The notice suggests Visa credit cards issued in other countries will still be accepted.

Amazon said it would give shoppers 20 pounds ($27) off their next purchase the first time they set up a debit or non-Visa credit card as their default card.

Visa said it was “very disappointed that Amazon is threatening to restrict consumer choice in the future.”

They eventually came to an agreement, though to be fair Visa has a much higher usage rate than AMEX and of course Amazon has a much bigger market share than eBay, so I imagine there was more incentive  for both sides to work it out in that situation.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I am well aware that there are other stores/venues that do not accept American Express, and have for years due to the cost.  My point was around ebay, and how this impacts buyers/sellers who *prefer* American Express* as I do.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@paxilill wrote:

I bet it has to do with chargebacks, buyers have no skin in the game anymore. If the eBay avenue doesn't work go for the nuclear option via chargeback 

Or you could bet instead if eBay is telling the truth this time, and it's not chargebacks which are just as likely to come from the other credits card brands as they are from American Express.

Official eBay Statement:

After careful consideration, eBay has decided to no longer accept American Express globally effective August 17 due to the unacceptably high fees American Express charges for processing credit card transactions."

https://ebayinc.com/stories/news/neebay-to-discontinue-acceptance-of-american-express-payments-start...

But eBay goes on to say:

Based on research, we know that the vast majority of eBay customers are willing to use alternative payment options to continue enjoying buying and selling on our marketplace."

Which seems to reveal that "the vast majority of eBay customers" so far have been choosing to pay with American Express over those "alternative payment options" at eBay. Oops.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

eBay probably wants to save money and finally got tired of the high costs.  You got to wonder why after so many years of taking AMEX why suddenly the change.  Someone mentioned on this board, people are not using the AMEX card enough for eBay to justify the fees.  It would be funny, if people started using AMEX card a lot more before Aug 17th.  Apparently, AMEX and eBay could not agree on a deal from what I read. 

eBay is trying to push their eBay credit card.  I wonder if eBay will drop other payment options in the future.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This will affect my purchasing at eBay. I spend about $2000-$2500 per year on ebay and have been a member since 97.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply