cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

banking info versus online payments sytem

Wondering if ebay is looking into a different online payment system > I stopped selling here after 20 years because they are not getting my banking info.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: banking info versus online payments sytem

But you are checking because you would like to sell here again?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@peedenmark7 

I use a Wal-mart Green dot card.  It's separate from my regular bank account and I use it for ebay only.  You can order one in line.  Had mine for over 6 years.  No problems.  It provides a bank and routing number too.

Here's a link to help you out:

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You cannot sell on EBAY unless you provide your checking account#.     With new Managed Payments money is deposited directly into your bank account.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@peedenmark7 

I use a Wal-mart Green dot card.  It's separate from my regular bank account and I use it for ebay only.  You can order one in line.  Had mine for over 6 years.  No problems.  It provides a bank and routing number too.

Here's a link to help you out:

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/?

Thanks for sharing this.  Never realized this was/is an option!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

ebay is a great place to sell

whether its your bank info or SS number I tend to think its safe

I kind of doubt any employee can get the info even if someone pointed and says there it is.  now un encrypt it

I also believe in safety in numbers

I look at my bank account and credit card accounts at least every day

if something  were amiss I would know quickly.........thats how I feel

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You can use an ACE debit card or something similar. They have routing and checking account numbers that can be used in lieu of a bank account. Just be mindful to keep the statements, you will need them tax time.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@peedenmark7 wrote:

Wondering if ebay is looking into a different online payment system... 

There is no reason to think so.  It took eBay a long time to set up the new system, giving sellers nearly three years to either sign up for it or complete their listings and cease selling.   This was all a massive and costly undertaking, so why would eBay be looking at something else within a short time of finalizing it? 

Most sellers find the total "takeout" under Managed Payments to be about the same, or a little less, than it was under PayPal.   Most sellers find their basic bookkeeping easier with Managed Payments.  Most sellers know it's best to not commingle business and personal funds and have a separate bank account for eBay, anyhow;  if not, there are many free or cheap options to use. 

So, you may care to look into the whole matter a bit more and maybe start sellling again.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@peedenmark7 wrote:

Wondering if ebay is looking into a different online payment system

No.

@peedenmark7 wrote:

I stopped selling here after 20 years because they are not getting my banking info.

Couple of comments here:

1. As I think I've said before, at my age, this would be about the 263rd business out there to get my banking info and SS# and so on. I would be more concerned about a leak from my dentist's office than from someplace the size of eBay using a payment processor supporting multiple major websites.

2. Rather than giving them "your" banking info, it would be better to have a separate standalone account for your eBay business, so you're not mixing business funds with personal/family funds. I use a credit union with no fees and unlimited on-line transactions on their checking account. (It only makes sense these days; how many people write checks anymore?) That way, if something does go seriously sideways with an eBay sale, your family funds will not be at risk.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

".....As I think I've said before, at my age, this would be about the 263rd business out there to get my banking info and SS# and so on. I would be more concerned about a leak from my dentist's office than from someplace the size of eBay using a payment processor supporting multiple major websites......"

This is possibly the best analogy (and humorous) that has been presented for sellers complaining about a company that wants to PUT MONEY INTO your checking account. All these other examples (dentist, utilities, etc...) are REMOVING Money from your checking account.....

@a_c_green 

and recommendation #2 is an excellent option....

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Depending on how long ago you stopped selling, there can be holds on the pay out along with selling limits and $ amounts. Returning sellers are considered new sellers by eBay if they have not sold in the last (pretty sure) 90 days. Feedback and buying are not taken into consideration. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't eBay just switch online payment systems within the past couple of years?

Given the amount of time that took, and the widespread confusion it caused, and is still causing evidently, doubtful if eBay would want to go through that again this soon.  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply