cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did I receive a payout

Why did I receive a payout of $1,100 from eBay?  I have a bike for sale for $2,400 and haven't had any commitments on the bike.  I was thinking that the "payout" was somebody putting money down on the bike, but I haven't been contacted and the payout was a couple months ago.  I just had two people today ask about the condition of the bike that I have for sale, and this suprised me because I was thinking somebody had put money down on the bike with the "payout" and that the listing would've been put on hold.  Just really at a loss as to why I received a payout into my bank account and nobody is claiming to have made a payment on the bike.  Any info would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You should contact ebay and ask why. It sounds like they sent someone elses deposit into your account by mistake. If that is the case it will come back on you eventually so best to get it corrected sooner rather than later. 

Or, did you perhaps buy something on ebay and return it and that is a refund from an ebay purchase you made?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You sold that scope a few months ago, have you already been paid for it?

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Maybe from a past sale? Where there was a problem...which fund was pending.

You sold something for around that amount a while back...riflescope?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@scottybo35, first things first. You have not sold the bike.

You haven't even received any offers on the bike since Mar 13, which was declined. You did not receive a payout for that.

Have you sold anything else recently?

lacemaker3_0-1715730038160.png

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

First I'd like to thank everybody for looking at my question and replying.  I'll do my best to answer your questions so I can resolve this issue.

I have NOT sold the bike, yet, and the scope that I was selling was paid for on February 7th, 2024.  The $1,101.35 payout was deposited in my account on March 11th, 2024 with a description labeled "PAYMENTS".

I will contact eBay and try to get to somebody on the phone or email.  The automated service is somewhat helpful, but it is lacking somewhat for this predicament.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

OK, the scope sold Feb 7 for $1,300 with free shipping. If you add on the likely cost for sales tax, and subtract the eBay fees, cost of the shipping label, and possible promoted listing fees (if you promoted it), then that would come to just about the amount you received in the payout.

As a new/occasional seller, eBay normally holds the payout for up to about 30 days, so that explains the timing.

@scottybo35 wrote:

...  I was thinking that the "payout" was somebody putting money down on the bike, but I haven't been contacted and the payout was a couple months ago.  I just had two people today ask about the condition of the bike that I have for sale, and this suprised me because I was thinking somebody had put money down on the bike with the "payout" and that the listing would've been put on hold.  ...

eBay doesn't allow for "holds" like that. Buyers can't do layaway on eBay. It's a fixed price listing, so a buyer would have to pay in full when they purchase it, or within about 4 days.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Could it be a fake email ?  A scammer could be trying to get your log in and password.  Did you check with your bank to see if the money is really there?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yes, the money actually made it to the bank.  That was my first thought as well, that it was a scammer, and then the money hit my account.  I am going to back-track my banking acct and see if it was the payment on my scope.  Lacemaker3 had a good point, and I never remember specifically looking for the sold scope money in my account.  Thx for the reply!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the info lacemaker3!  I'll check my bank account and see if the scope money hit the bank prior to that deposit into the acct....one minute.  

Okay, lacemaker3 hit the nail on the head, and I'm a bonehead for not realizing the money for the scope never hit my acct.  I never really looked for the money to make sure it hit.  Whew!  Now I can commence selling my bike without worries.  Thank you all for the replies and helping resolve this issue, you are all AWESOME!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Have you figured already what the shipping will be on that bike since you are offering free shipping?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply