cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Do I Have to Keep Adding the Three Digit on My Card for Purchases?

For about a year now, for each purchase, I have to go to payment and add the Security Code in order for the payment to go through.  Is anyone else having the same problem?  With PP, it was not an issue, but it has become annoying 😫  Any other site that I purchase from, it is not a problem, only here.  I even went to my bank and they could not help.  

Any help will be appreciated, TIA!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Adding the Three Digit on My Card for Purchases?

I didn't know that was a 'thing'... thanks for posting. I usually check out through PayPal with a card from my wallet... so it hasn't been a 'thing' for me. Good to know how it works for others!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

AS copied from web explanation.

Security code: This three-digit code on the back of the credit card (or, for American Express, four-digit code on the front) is required for processing any “card not present” transactions. It’s also known as a CVV — “card verification value.”

ie. If you are not presenting the physical card in person at checkout. it has always been required for most purchases in the USA.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It's a security thing. web sites don't store it in case they are hacked. The hackers won't have it to use.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I actually have my card protected so that the CVV is NEVER held over/saved for a future purchase.

All other info is there ready, but the CVV always has to be filled in by me at the time of purchase - I like that additional security.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

USA merchants, at least, are not supposed to store the code for later use. When using the card in person, swiped or chip scanned, the CVV is embedded in the card mag stripe and smart chip and need not be entered manually as it is automatically read by the checkout device.  Code must be manually entered/typed when doing online buys (card not present) thransactions.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply