cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Aren't eBay's Managed Payments More Transparent

Before eBay stopped using PayPal so that they could take even MORE money out of your pocket, they used to have a transparent pie chart that showed you every month the total of your sales and the total of ALL eBay fees. Now, they don't bother to total anything. Plus, they no longer supply a pie chart delineating this information in a blink. Every time they mess with eBay, they make it harder and harder to use it. So frustrated!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Why Aren't eBay's Managed Payments More Transparent

You may want to check out the different charts made available under the "performance" tab from the Seller Dashboard. This includes the different charts for Seller Level, Sales, Traffic, and Service Metrics. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Because if it were more transparent, you would realize how much more you will be paying in fees under Managed Payment. And they don't want sellers to see the truth.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Also, when eBay just apparently plops the money in the seller's account, I would imagine that the seller is just so relieved that they finally got some money that they don't care how eBay arrived at the payout.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I found the pie chart.  It moved to the service metrics page which is now actually very helpful. they don't exactly advertise its existence.  I have been hunting for the pie chart now for a couplke of months since I went on managed payments which I managed to dodge for a while.

Also, because eBay is charging fees on taxes and on VAT for international sales, eBay's fees are quite a bit higher than they appear at first.  50% of my sales are international, and I am paying an eBay fee on an average VAT of over 10%.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@billshaine wrote:

I found the pie chart.  It moved to the service metrics page which is now actually very helpful. they don't exactly advertise its existence.  I have been hunting for the pie chart now for a couplke of months since I went on managed payments which I managed to dodge for a while.

Also, because eBay is charging fees on taxes and on VAT for international sales, eBay's fees are quite a bit higher than they appear at first.  50% of my sales are international, and I am paying an eBay fee on an average VAT of over 10%.

@billshaine 

No one has been hiding stuff from you.  There is a vast amount of information in the Seller Hub, you just needed to explore it a bit more.

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Starting August 2nd, PayPal is raising their fees, so they will be as follows:
10.20 Ebay FVF + 3.49 PP Fee = 13.69% plus .49 cent Per Transaction fee

PP is apparently offering different fees to different sellers, likely depending on size. From what I've seen it is between 2.59% and 3.49%.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@billshaine wrote:

eBay calculates their final value fee based on the transaction total which does include the taxes and any international fees incurred.   That does make international transactions marginally more expensive for the seller.  Definitely need to take that into account when creating listings and pricing items. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

@billshaine wrote:

eBay calculates their final value fee based on the transaction total which does include the taxes and any international fees incurred.   That does make international transactions marginally more expensive for the seller.  Definitely need to take that into account when creating listings and pricing items. 

While this is certainly true, you can't go by the percentage that appears in the center of the circular chart in the Seller Hub because that represents MORE than just Ebay fees.  It says that, but many overlook it or misunderstand the chart.

I've requested many times that Ebay makes this chart clearer and more useable but to date that hasn't happened.  Many sellers don't look at the explanation on the right and only look at the circle graphic and assume they are paying 28% in Ebay fees.  I've responded to many threads on this subject over the years.

Selling Costs Graphic.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@north40sales wrote:

@billshaine wrote:

While this is certainly true, you can't go by the percentage that appears in the center of the circular chart in the Seller Hub because that represents MORE than just Ebay fees.  It says that, but many overlook it or misunderstand the chart.

I've requested many times that Ebay makes this chart clearer and more useable but to date that hasn't happened.  Many sellers don't look at the explanation on the right and only look at the circle graphic and assume they are paying 28% in Ebay fees.  I've responded to many threads on this subject over the years.

Selling Costs Graphic.JPG

I don't go by any pie chart and never mentioned a pie chart in my post.   Was your reply intended for someone else? 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

That's a good one. I love it....and sadly it is very true.......

Message 10 of 10
latest reply