cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my Social Security Number being kept by eBay and how do I update SSN or delete it?

I remember earlier this year, eBay required I submit my SSN to continue selling, which was supposedly necessary for the new way of payment managements directly through eBay. I completely fell for it because I had multiple listings up for sale posted at the time. I later learned that the real reason for such information was for the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, signed into law by President Joe Biden.

'Under current rules, individuals who sell goods or services via online platforms generally only receive a tax form if they engage in at least 200 transactions worth an aggregate $20,000 or more. That form, called a 1099-K, also goes to the IRS. Starting next year, the federal threshold for issuing the 1099-K will drop to $600 with no minimum transaction level.' -CNBC

For this reason, I have chosen to retire as a seller from this major platform who will rat me out to the IRS for a measly $600. I do plan to remain as a buyer, and therefore do not wish to close my account. With that being said, how can I remove my confidential SSN from eBay's data storage?

The only relative option I can find is through Account settings > My eBay > Personal Info > Personal information > Type of ID | Social Security Number (last 4 digits). This does not appear to be the correct course of action to execute such a task, as there is no 'Delete' option, only 'Cancel' or 'Save'. Also, maybe I have forgotten that eBay only requested the last 4 digits of my SSN to continue selling, though my memory tells me otherwise.

If someone can please help me and provide instructions and/or recommendations on how to remove my SSN information from eBay's records to stop selling and keep my account active to continue as just a buyer.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Where is my Social Security Number being kept by eBay and how do I update SSN or delete it?

@mikewoof 

It was a requirement before AMPA of 2021.

It is required because of anti-money laundering, and "know your customer" regulations.

When eBay did not "manage payments" they did not need your SSAN. Now they do.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Re: Where is my Social Security Number being kept by eBay and how do I update SSN or delete it?

You currently have six listings.  Don't you want to sell those things?  Don't understand your " . . . if I do not sell" remark.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Pretty sure that the reason for needing your SS # is so that the IRS makes sure all your income is reported.

Can't figure out how it could have anything to do with the 2021 American Rescue Plan Act.  Can you cite where that information is published?  

The American Rescue Plan Act lowered the 1099k threshold to $600. But as we know, and as the OP apparently does NOT know, that has nothing to do with our obligation to report our income even if we don't sell enough to be issued a 1099k.

This seems to be a raging case of the E-word.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Because it is not yet 2022.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@mikewoof 

You still have to report the income. Receiving a 1099k just makes the accounting easier. 

Only tax evaders are threatened by the new lower threshold for issuing. Those that have been claiming all income up to now are welcoming the new way. 

I’m guessing you’re happy to take advantage of at least a few of the things income taxes pay for but not too happy to have to pay for any of it. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

I don't know that people really do understand how the Tax Free Threshold works.

Just going by the number of posts on these boards it seems a lot, while actually committing tax evasion, some are honestly dumbfounded about the IRS expecting ALL income to be declared regardless of the TFT.

Bottom Line: the old adage applies

You don't mess with the IRS

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@downunder-61 

When I hear the the IRS pays employees to browse these boards looking for the rats that are jumping ship, it seems rather preposterous. 
Then I see a couple new ones start up everyday as well as a few that piggyback on a previous post, I have to think it’s like catching fish in a barrel. 
It’s crazy how many people come here and admit to a federal crime. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

"Responsibility" is a tough concept. 🙄 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@jda11121 wrote:

Because there is no such thing as a "buyers" account.

Yes, there is.

I'm using one right now as my Posting ID, as is pretty much everyone else with Posting IDs.

Do you think eBay asks every single account for their SSN on the off-chance that they might, eventually, possibly, maybe list something for sale on that account?

Hint: they don't.

--

This is my posting ID.
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@mikewoof wrote:

Because it is not yet 2022.

I think the reason is really much simpler than many may realize.  We are less than a week away from 2022.  It is likely that Ebay wants your full SSN because they are preparing their records to be in compliance for 2022.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@dryophelia wrote:

@downunder-61 

When I hear the the IRS pays employees to browse these boards looking for the rats that are jumping ship, it seems rather preposterous. 
Then I see a couple new ones start up everyday as well as a few that piggyback on a previous post, I have to think it’s like catching fish in a barrel. 
It’s crazy how many people come here and admit to a federal crime. 

That is not an unusual happening on all kinds of threads and endless subjects.  It happens all the time in the community.  Especially on a hot issue.  Don't get paranoid it is likely just what usually happens, nothing more.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@walwalwill wrote:

@jda11121 wrote:

Because there is no such thing as a "buyers" account.

Yes, there is.

I'm using one right now as my Posting ID, as is pretty much everyone else with Posting IDs.

Do you think eBay asks every single account for their SSN on the off-chance that they might, eventually, possibly, maybe list something for sale on that account?

Hint: they don't.

Yes they will coming into 2022.  The threshold is just so low next year.  So it is highly likely that Ebay is updating their records for a full SSN on those they only asked for the last 4 digits.  And new sellers are likely required to give their full SSNs now.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

If you do not sell there will be ZERO to report to IRS, anything ABOVE $600  is reported, 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Zombie post 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@ez_electronic_mall wrote:

If you do not sell there will be ZERO to report to IRS, anything ABOVE $600  is reported, 

@ez_electronic_mall 

Yes that is the threshold for the 1099K FORM, but it is NOT the threshold for reporting your income to IRS.  Even if you made less that $600 and did not receive a 1099K form, you are still responsible to report your income on your federal tax report.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply