cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between Xoom and PayPal?

Tried to logon to PayPal and it sent me to Xoom, which I had never heard of. For simply transferring a few hundred dollars from PayPal to my bank account, what's the difference between using Xoom and PayPal? Do they both charge similar fees, for example?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: What's the difference between Xoom and PayPal?

XOOM is owned by PayPal. I thought XOOM was only for sending money overseas. 

Google 

wise.com XOOM vs PayPal: Which one is cheaper? (2023 review)  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Xoom does not have an option to add money to your paypal account. I used xoom a few times and I never saw an option to transfer to paypal

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

When reading a little about it yesterday, I got the impression it's for overseas transfers too, but surely users must be able to transfer funds from Xoom into a bank account. If anyone knows, please let us know. Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Someone sent money to my PayPal account from Italy, and it ended up in Xoom (never heard of it before). I'd like to move it out of Xoom into a local bank account.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@goodtreats wrote:

Someone sent money to my PayPal account from Italy, and it ended up in Xoom (never heard of it before). I'd like to move it out of Xoom into a local bank account.

@goodtreats 

A bit confused... the money from a sale  didn't go through Managed Payments?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Xoom is for sending cash - like a Western Union service.  I’ve used it plenty of times - no issues.  They partner with entities like Teledolar - you send through Xoom, recipient goes to Teledolar to retrieve the funds.

First time sending money requires ID verification, but subsequent uses are easy.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Good question. Shouldn't matter where the payment is coming from, it still would go into through Managed Pay before landing in the OP's checking account. Buyers can use Pay-Pal as a payment method, but the seller would have no idea how they paid be it Pay-Pal or credit/debit card. 

@goodtreats Was this sale taken off the platform or was it for something not listed on eBay and sold outside of eBay? Don't see any sales on this account for a few hundred dollars. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

A friend finally figured it out. The option to merely transfer from Xoom to one's bank account isn't included in the  main options at the top of the page. He found what we needed by scrolling down the page.

Glad to hear you've used it a lot and have not had issues.  Thank you.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Redmodelt, it was not for an eBay sale. Hope it was okay to ask the question here; I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask. Since so many here have used PayPal in the past, I figured someone would know about Xoom. Thanks.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Did you try the boards on Paypal?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I didn't know PayPal has boards/a forum for questions; will look for it.  In the meantime, we found a way to do the domestic transfer. Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply