cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We can't apply this gift card. A different gift card already covers the total oreder amount.

Okay this is a new problem for me. When I try to apply the balance from a low balance gift card with another gift card, I am getting this error:

Screen shot 2020-11-28 at 3.40.35 PM.jpg

So basically I can't use up the balance on my low balance cards, as long as I have another card, that will cover the entire cost. Previously I could apply the remainder of the low balance card, and then apply the rest from a higher balance card.

The only workaround I can think of is to try and find an item priced at the exact amount equal to the balance of the gift card or some combination of that, to clear that card off my account. Which doesn't seem very practical. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out what eBay expects me to do with the remaining low balance on these cards.

I  swear, eBay employees must just spend their days trying to figure out how to make the site suck worse, then it already sucks. I can't think of any other explanation for dumb changes like this.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: We can't apply this gift card. A different gift card already covers the total oreder amount.

Or buy something using the low $ gift card first and then PayPal or a credit card for the balance?

Re: We can't apply this gift card. A different gift card already covers the total oreder amount.

This is an old problem that had been fixed ... a few years ago

They must be tinkering ----- or they are using the card balances in the same order that they were applied by you.

I wonder what would happen if you applied the smaller balance first.

Then input the code for the larger card balance

-------------

Why do you need to clear the old card off of your account?

The two remaining balances will appear on the checkout page the next time you buy something.

You could apply both to your next purchase ... as long as you aren't using anothing large balance card.

You can apply up to 4 redemption codes during a single checkout session.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@kare-bearb wrote:

This is an old problem that had been fixed ... a few years ago

They must be tinkering ----- or they are using the card balances in the same order that they were applied by you.

I wonder what would happen if you applied the smaller balance first.

Then input the code for the larger card balance

-------------

Why do you need to clear the old card off of your account?

The two remaining balances will appear on the checkout page the next time you buy something.

You could apply both to your next purchase ... as long as you aren't using anothing large balance card.

You can apply up to 4 redemption codes during a single checkout session.

That's exactly what I did. I applied the low balance first, then applied the higher balance card. Then I got that error on the low balance card. You hit the nail on the head. We can only apply up to 4 redemption codes during a single checkout. So what happens when I end up with a bunch of low balance cards? At best it will turn it into a complicated game to try to figure out a way to combine the low balance cards to make a purchase. At worse the low balance cards will just go to waste, and I won't be able to make a purchase with them. Maybe that is what eBay is hoping will happen.  Meanwhile Amazon combines  all gift cards together automatically. eBay just took a terrible system, and made it 100 times worse. slight_frown

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@rebell45 wrote:

Or buy something using the low $ gift card first and then PayPal or a credit card for the balance?

Thanks, but I don't use PayPal. Well, I have a PayPal account, because eBay makes me have one in order to use gift cards, but I don't use PayPal. I honestly don't trust eBay or PayPal with my CC information. That's why I use gift cards.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I understand this is an old thread, but this error seems to be happening again.

A report was put through the chat system; if anyone else is currently experiencing this error as of April 12, 2024, please report it.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply