cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS 1 Month Delayed Package Arrived - But Buyer is Already Refunded

So, I got hit with a really bad USPS delay. I thought they lost the package, but the buyer contacted me today and said they just received the item and would be happy to pay for it. (I had to refund because buyer opened a case and the deadline was like 2 weeks ago... I wanted to contact eBay to extend the deadline but could not find any contact information to help sellers).

I saw this info: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042#:~:text=If%20yo...

It says, 

"If your item arrives after you've received a refund

It's possible that your item may still arrive after you've been issued a refund. If this happens, you should get in touch with the seller and try to reach an agreement on what to do next. You can choose to either:

• Return the item and keep the refund
  • Keep the item and arrange to reimburse the seller"

But it doesn't state HOW the buyer can reimburse the seller.

I do not see a contact number for eBay ANYWHERE. How can I call them (also need to get the late shipment removed because the buyer actually asked me to ship the item late since they were out of town - this is ON TOP of the 1 month delay).

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: USPS 1 Month Delayed Package Arrived - But Buyer is Already Refunded

Something I forgot to add and didn't want it left unstated.

You can use this method for other things too.  Like if the buyer's package gets returned back to you for a bad address or something.  When you ask your buyer if they want you to reship it or refund the order, ask for their email address if they want you to reship it.  That way you can send them an invoice through PayPal for the shipping charges again.  Of course explain to your buyer that an invoice from PayPal is forthcoming.  Once they pay that, you will reship.

Now this part is EXTREMELY important for your seller protection.  DO NOT go back to the Ebay transaction and print your new shipping label.  ONLY go to the PayPal payment and ship from there with the new improved ship to address.

You never want to go back to the original transaction in Ebay because your new shipment will overwrite the old tracking number and you will have lost that info on the transaction.  It could also show as you shipped late and give you a late shipment defect.

So save the grief and concern.  Just print your new shipping label from the PayPal payment.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Thanks. This is the first person I have heard with the same issue. Glad to know it worked out. I have finally found a contact form and the response from the rep was

"

For this, I have requested you refund to be processed so that our back office can re-investigate the case. Please take note that this process will take 5-10 business days. Once approved, the funds will be going back to your original funding source."

I feel better going this route because I am overly cautious regarding highly automated platforms such as eBay.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Interesting workarounds, thanks for the advice. I have successfully contacted eBay about this by fiddling around through the automated help sections (although I could not trace back my steps to where I found the contact an agent form).

Their response to this issue:

For this, I have requested you refund to be processed so that our back office can re-investigate the case. Please take note that this process will take 5-10 business days. Once approved, the funds will be going back to your original funding source.

Very promising, hoping it will all work out as planned. This way, there does not appear to be any involvement on the buyer's behalf and if you had an uncooperative customer maybe this way would bypass that? But I will have to wait and see 1-2 weeks out how this pans out.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@duffy4444 wrote:

If there is a reason why you cannot use PayPal for invoicing the buyer or otherwise getting paid thru PayPal, here's another workaround that I've used successfully about a dozen times over the years:

1.   If the item is still up on eBay because you had multiples for sale, have the buyer purchase another one and pay for it. After he/she pays for it, go to the "Awaiting Shipping" item in your Seller Hub, and in the drop-down box select "Mark as Shipped"... Done!   You may get a minor demerit for not uploading tracking information, but that may be worth it if the item is worth it, and you sell enough so that an occasional such demerit won't really hurt you.

2.  If that buyer purchased the only item or the last one, coordinate with the buyer when you will relist it, and notify them when it is relisted. Then they can purchase it again in the same manner as above.

This was a life-saver for me this past Christmas season, when the USPS really screwed up and delayed deliveries that prompted about 6 buyers to receive their items after they were refunded thru an INR case.  It works like a charm, and all my buyers (the ones were honest, that is, and were willing to pay again) were happy that it was so easy to handle in this manner... The two that were dishonest and kept the item or ignored my eBay courteous messages to pay again, went right onto my Blocked Buyer List, so that they could not pull the same dishonest routine again.

Cheers, Duffy

That is dangerous and I would not be recommending that to anyone.  If some other buyer discovers that listing before your buyer gets to it, you've got a real problem now.  Besides it is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. 

Just ask for the buyer's email address and send them an invoice through PayPal.  Let them know to watch for the invoice from PayPal and to pay from that.  So simple and no risk to buyer or seller.

mam98031:

Of course invoicing thru PayPal is a better way to go.

However, you didn't read my qualifier at the very top of my post. I said, "If there is a reason why you cannot use PayPal..." ... Not all of my buyers use PayPal.

When done correctly, this alternative is not "dangerous", as you put it. With #1, it is quick and seamless. With #2, an agreed time for me to relist the item and notify the buyer is so short, that the possibility of another buyer coming in and purchasing it within a few moments is extremely remote.

I have used this workaround at least a dozen times, and it works perfectly and very quickly so far. I also get to avoid adding PayPal in the mix when the buyer does NOT use PayPal. Some buyers also do not want to give out their PayPal address.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@dbs_merch wrote:

Thanks. This is the first person I have heard with the same issue. Glad to know it worked out. I have finally found a contact form and the response from the rep was

"

For this, I have requested you refund to be processed so that our back office can re-investigate the case. Please take note that this process will take 5-10 business days. Once approved, the funds will be going back to your original funding source."

I feel better going this route because I am overly cautious regarding highly automated platforms such as eBay.

We each need to do what is best for ourselves.  I personally like for the buyer to pay me back and not Ebay.  Ultimately it means I'm paying myself since Ebay gets their money from sellers via fees.  I don't want to play part in giving them a reason to raise fees.  But that is simply my personal opinion, you need to do what is right for you.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@duffy4444 wrote:

If there is a reason why you cannot use PayPal for invoicing the buyer or otherwise getting paid thru PayPal, here's another workaround that I've used successfully about a dozen times over the years:

1.   If the item is still up on eBay because you had multiples for sale, have the buyer purchase another one and pay for it. After he/she pays for it, go to the "Awaiting Shipping" item in your Seller Hub, and in the drop-down box select "Mark as Shipped"... Done!   You may get a minor demerit for not uploading tracking information, but that may be worth it if the item is worth it, and you sell enough so that an occasional such demerit won't really hurt you.

2.  If that buyer purchased the only item or the last one, coordinate with the buyer when you will relist it, and notify them when it is relisted. Then they can purchase it again in the same manner as above.

This was a life-saver for me this past Christmas season, when the USPS really screwed up and delayed deliveries that prompted about 6 buyers to receive their items after they were refunded thru an INR case.  It works like a charm, and all my buyers (the ones were honest, that is, and were willing to pay again) were happy that it was so easy to handle in this manner... The two that were dishonest and kept the item or ignored my eBay courteous messages to pay again, went right onto my Blocked Buyer List, so that they could not pull the same dishonest routine again.

Cheers, Duffy

That is dangerous and I would not be recommending that to anyone.  If some other buyer discovers that listing before your buyer gets to it, you've got a real problem now.  Besides it is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. 

Just ask for the buyer's email address and send them an invoice through PayPal.  Let them know to watch for the invoice from PayPal and to pay from that.  So simple and no risk to buyer or seller.

mam98031:

Of course invoicing thru PayPal is a better way to go.

However, you didn't read my qualifier at the very top of my post. I said, "If there is a reason why you cannot use PayPal..." ... Not all of my buyers use PayPal.

When done correctly, this alternative is not "dangerous", as you put it. With #1, it is quick and seamless. With #2, an agreed time for me to relist the item and notify the buyer is so short, that the possibility of another buyer coming in and purchasing it within a few moments is extremely remote.

I have used this workaround at least a dozen times, and it works perfectly and very quickly so far. I also get to avoid adding PayPal in the mix when the buyer does NOT use PayPal. Some buyers also do not want to give out their PayPal address.

Cheers, Duffy

I read it, but buyers are NOT required to have a PP account to pay via PP.  Paypal has always allowed Guests, just like Ebay allows guest buyers that do not set up accounts.

It is dangerous as you can't control who purchases the listing once you post it.  I am happy to hear it has worked for you, that however doesn't change anything I've said.  

IDK what you are talking about.  I have NEVER said that the buyer needs to give you the login info to their PayPal account.  The simple act of giving someone you email address is NOT the same thing.  There is NO such thing as a PP address for a buyer or a seller.  There are no special email addresses that are being asked for.  You are simply asking the buyer for their email address.  Once in which they receive emails to so you can send them an invoice.  

How that buyer wants to pay is up to them.  PP offers a variety of ways as a member or as a guest.

What is it that you think is a buyer's PayPal address, maybe that would help me to better understand your concern?  An email address is NOT a PP address.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Ok, here is an update on the situation. 

I received an email from Customer Service which was promising, stating,

"For this, I have requested you refund to be processed so that our back office can re-investigate the case. Please take note that this process will take 5-10 business days. Once approved, the funds will be going back to your original funding source."

So, I waited 10 business days, and nothing happened. Today is the 12th business day from this response, so I contacted eBay through the chat.

After a long battle it was clear that the rep had no intention of reimbursing me at all.

The rep stated, "I know you have informed buyer you wil resolve it through ebay but here as request is correctly closed, we do nt have an option to take any action. That is why I am requesting you to communicate with buyer and they will srely help you"

They kept saying that I should communicate with the buyer. This was surprising to me because eBays policies clearly state,

"We don't allow our members to:

That was the whole reason in the first place that I did not ask the buyer to reimburse me through PayPal. 

I asked, "Just to clarfiy - sharing of paypal email addresses through ebay messages is allowed or not?"

The rep stated, "Yes, you can do that and you will not be suspended for the same."

Still very strange to me that it appears to be in direct violation of the TOS yet here is a rep stating that it is allowed. Even stranger still, considering that I have received warnings in the past for sharing contact information through eBay messaging.

Anyways, now I have to reach back out to the buyer who for a couple weeks now has thought they received an item for free and will be reluctant to pay me through PayPal for the item. Now, if the buyer is honest they will probably do it, but what if they don't want to pay you? Who is forcing them to do so? eBay cannot do anything, so I have heard you would have to open a case with the BBB or something like that. This whole thing has been utterly ridiculous, hope what I have shared is helpful to someone in the future.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

What do you know, right after I message the buyer with a lengthy message describing the replies from the rep, I get a message from a probably higher up eBay rep who says something along the lines of thank you for your patience and we are sorry for your frustration we will evaluate further and you might receive a reimbursement. Wait 3-7 business days... 

So after I thought there was nothing ebay could do at all and had already messaged the buyer, I have had to send them another message saying disregard the previous message...

This whole experience from the customer requesting to have the package arrive a few days after intended leading a late shipment mark to show up to the package being delayed for a whole month lost at the SF USPS facility and despite opening two cases with USPS and indicating that if found they should return the package to me (the buyer had opened a missing item case and I was forced to issue refund since tracking info had not updated for weeks), the package randomly gets delivered to the buyers address about a full month after the package was shipped... To the 10 business day wait for a promise of reimbursement to be processed and then contacting the rep today saying the previous rep was mistaken and there is nothing eBay can do. She said she will make sure the first rep receives some "coaching" LOL. And after all that, ANOTHER rep contacts me saying that they ARE in fact working on processing my reimbursement for the order. This has been a total sh-t show and I really hope they just process the refund...

I will keep you updated.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply