cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a bank account to sell on ebay???

Another ignorant policy change by eBay!

If im correct and ebay has banned all users that don't have bank accounts than I guess I will NEVER buy & sell on eBay again.

What about disabled people that don't have bank accounts?

What about people that lost their jobs because of covid?

What about everyone else that just simply doesn't want to have or can't have a bank account?

I cant see any reason why this is necessary & if I'm forced to give ebay a bank account I'm done with ebay!!!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Need a bank account to sell on ebay???

@dugoldstuff wrote:

In order to sell on Ebay using Paypal you need to add a bank account. What is different about this?

WRONG

1) You can have a paper check mailed to you from PayPal

2) You can get a PayPal card and withdraw cash from an ATM

You can't get that PayPal card without a bank account AND your SSN. 

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

All of your points are 100% valid, however without a check account linked, you can not sell on eBay as you will be unable to receive funds for items sold once in managed payments.

Basically eBay require this to adhere with IRS regulations now. It is the same in every country where eBay has a platform. Here in Oz, it is our ATO (your IRS) income reporting regulations

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

I think anyone can open a bank account, I have a us bank accounts although i live outside USA.

There is a company called "Payoneer" allowing anyone around world to open bank accounts in (USA- Japan- Euro zone...etc).

Payoneer and ebay have partnership.

Go to following link to get more information about that:

www.payoneer.com 

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

"In order to sell on Ebay using Paypal you need to add a bank account."

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure a bank account was not required to use Paypal, at least not required to be a checking account.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

In order to sell on Ebay using Paypal you need to add a bank account. What is different about this?

WRONG

Look at PayPal's own "How Can We Help"

Clearly states no bank account is needed to set up.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

You can't get that PayPal card without a bank account AND your SSN.

WRONG

Visit PayPal's own site at "How do I request or apply for the PayPal Cash Card"?

There is NO MENTION of a BANK ACCOUNT

You need:

1) a PayPal account

2) to be active member

3) have a phone number

4) have an address

5) ADD your SSN and DOB to your PayPal Account (before that, to set up a PayPal, you only need name, address, phone number and email address. See: "What information is required to open a Personal PayPal Account" on their own website.)

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Basically eBay require this to adhere with IRS regulations now.

Please site the name and number of the new IRS regulation.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure a bank account was not required to use Paypal, at least not required to be a checking account.

CORRECT

A simple search of PayPal's site says this:

First and last name

Address

Phone Number

Email

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@pcelectronics4less wrote:

And to the genius that said "How will you receive your money without a bank? Is that possible?" Well preferably the same way I have been recieving it for 12 years, through paypal . That is the whole point of the thread smh.

Sorry, Pay Pal is no longer an option.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@dugoldstuff wrote:

If people lose their jobs, they are usually collecting unemployment checks,has to go thru their bank.

WRONG.

The government sends you a debit card and loads money onto it. Claimants can take it anywhere and use it like a debit card, or withdraw cash from the ATM.

When I was receiving child support, they put the funds on a debit card, I hated that thing.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Its also not ebays job to make sellers lives miserable at every turn, like raising selling fees from 9% to 14%, like forcing managed payments & many other issues & inconveniances you can find thread after thread in the forums about. Sellers are the ones who make ebay their billions of dollars, we should be treated a little better.

"anybody can do that" Not true, Ive already said their are reasons why people may not want to or cant open accounts. Others have given reasons too.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

1) You can have a paper check mailed to you from PayPal

Yeah if you want to wait 6 weeks for your money every time you sell something. Also I spoke with a very rude foreign ebay staffer the other day and he did not give this as an option, he just kept repeating the same scripted response over & over & either want smart enough to understand my question or needs to learn the english language better... or both.

2) You can get a PayPal card and withdraw cash from an ATM

What good is an ebay debit card gonna do if they refuse to deposit your money to it. Even if you were able to get a bank account & wait the 7 to 10 days for ebay to deposit your money & then go through the trouble of transferring it from your bank account to your paypal account every time you make a sell you would still be waiting almost 2 weeks to have access to your money

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

I dont think it has anything to do with the IRS or they would have been doing it this way for the past 12 years.

Also not everybody sells thousands of items or sells enough to require reporting to the IRS, If this was the case then ebay would just require sellers who meet a certain threshold to submit a bank account but they do not. They are making every seller give them their personal banking info. 
Lets be honest its about ebay taking more money from sellers & having more control over when we can have access to our own money.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Even if you were able to get a bank account & wait the 7 to 10 days for ebay to deposit your money

I'm on weekly payouts and it don't even take me 10 days to receive my funds.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

I dont think it has anything to do with the IRS or they would have been doing it this way for the past 12 years.

They were not processing the payments then, Pay Pal was.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply