cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments results in 7-day delays in sellers receiving payment, lousy!

I'm a week into my experience with ebay's new Managed Payments, and I've spent an hour on customer service call and am just really disgusted. I have still not received payments that were paid to eBay by my customers on Oct. 1, and the message I got yesterday from eBay said that first day's payments will be deposited to my account in 3-4 business days (as of notice yesterday).  PayPal paid out instantly, and I've used that for 22 years on eBay without any noticeable issues. 

Why in the world I now have to wait more than a week to receive pay-outs is baffling and distressing. Sure, Ebay will make another 2.7% on every sale, but they've really given us sellers the shaft here. I have a long delay on $8,000+, and that's robbing me of my ability to work turnaround stock. And yet we've had to send out all of the goods to stay on schedule. It adds yet one more layer of stress and uncertainty as a seller. In a time when we're least willing to add yet another layer. 

The initial information was that there would be no difference from seamless flow we've relied upon PayPal to provide. That is absolutely not the case. No other options, their way or the highway. It amounts to robbing me of a 10-day period of use, or 1/3 of my monthly gross. As if my employees wouldn't mind if I tell them I can't pay them now for a 9-10 day delay after the 1st and 15th.  

Customer service tried to convince me it's "progress". I can't believe that's their only line. There's zero benefit to all the sellers on eBay. And the negative is you wait and wait for your payout, long after you've sent the goods. We just sent 2 items out totaling $5400. No payment from eBay. Stressful!  

I'm VERY unhappy. Worst of all the bad "progress" changes so far, in 22 years.  Needs to be changed. Demand it! 

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: Managed Payments results in 7-day delays in sellers receiving payment, lousy!

@ladysethos wrote:

Depending on your buyers' preferred payment methods, you may also notice that some transactions take longer to process than others. That's because different methods of payment take different times to resolve.

Ignoring the subterfuge of offering just one more payment method (device-dependent Apple Pay* or Google Pay*) to obfuscate the switch from PayPal to directly accept credit cards and debit cards to the cheaper Adyen* at eBay Checkout --

Why didn't eBay just take their FVF from the buyer's PayPal payment, the same way eBay already takes any sales tax before the remainder less PayPal fees is immediately funded into the seller's PayPal account balance?

*Are these the slower payments processors, inferred from buyer testimony?

Message 16 of 107
latest reply

Re: Managed Payments results in 7-day delays in sellers receiving payment, lousy!

why always the rude comments to posters that you disagree with ????

Message 17 of 107
latest reply

While it's true that most online selling platforms manage payments "this way", the comparison is moot because most online selling platforms do not operate this way. For instance, Mercari allows you to use processing/pending funds to make purchases within the site. Etsy Payments makes funds from all sales available for deposit within 24 hours - business day or not. Amazon has a reliable, set payment schedule that all sellers follow, which they all knew about before they signed up.

I’ve noticed that 99.99% of sellers on eBay that are (allegedly) thrilled with MP are low volume and/or don’t even have active listings. Yes, MP is fantastic as long as you never have to actually rely on it. I’ve also noticed that the higher the volume, the longer the processing time.

The bottom line is this: eBay Managed Payments is unreliable, has zero support for sellers, and offers NOTHING to incentivize sellers who are blindly blasted into the program. We’re not just a bunch of whinebags with loads of time on our hands who come here to gripe about something that doesn’t matter or doesn’t have significant room for improvement. We’re here because our businesses have been turned upside down, punched in the face, and thrown into a ditch by eBay Managed Payments and we’re hoping someone with influence is listening and will do something about it.

Message 18 of 107
latest reply

@wrong66 wrote:

Do you pay your employees "daily"? I doubt it very much.

I think you meant- When you pay your employees does the bank take 10 days to process and release their money like ebay.......lol.    Why do you try to make excuses for ebays antiquated managed payments system. PAYPAL is the industry standard for payments processing. period. MP falls far short of it. period. but at least it costs sellers and buyer more per transaction. I am always concerned about the millionaires running the company squeezing more from the sellers. Someone has to pay you for your comments here anyway right?

Message 19 of 107
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

"The initial information was that there would be no difference from seamless flow we've relied upon PayPal to provide."  

That is certainly what sellers want, but that is not what MP has said nor is it how it works.

The MP process is really quite simple.  The process on BUSINESS DAYS ONLY.  It takes 1-2 days to clear a pending payment and move it to Available Funds.  Then on the next business day it should transfer to your bank account which can take 1-4 days to arrive if you do Daily Deposits.  If you do weekly deposits, then the transfer is sent out every Tuesday and takes 1-4 days to arrive at your bank.

It does take a little getting use to.  And it is nothing like the PP process, so don't stress yourself unnecessarily by comparing the two programs as there is not comparison.  Take a breath, learn how MP works and then find the best way for you to work with the program.

No one is "robbing" you.  Once your money starts flowing, you will learn the rhythm so it is easier for you to deal with.  I personally do weekly deposits.  Not so many highs and lows and for me it is less stressful and smoother.  I bank with a large bank, so when MP transfers, I have the money in my account the next day before noon.  Smaller more local banks will take longer.

There is a whole lot of room for improvement in the MP system.  And we must make sure that MP understands our needs and what we'd like to see change.  But you also need to learn the current way MP functions so you can best learn how to run your business within its rules.  That will likely lower your stress level.  Don't fight it, learn it.  Keep voicing things you'd like to see improve, but learn how it currently works first so your business can prosper.

Mam- this was a well said and thought out  post. All of us need to work together to improve this system. I just hope that Ebay actually hears our concerns and does their part- that has always been the problem- they rarely listen to the sellers unless there is complete outrage and protest. 

Message 20 of 107
latest reply

@etxj_36 wrote:

I use capital one bank. Signed up for daily deposits. 

What I see is money hits bank Tuesday Wednesday Thursday that's it

Never Friday Saturday Sunday Monday. Never.

So for me MP daily deposits is a Joke!

Leaving this disaster of a liberal site in Feb when store sub is up.

And Just ask around town Facebook Twitter about eBay. Too many humans say this...... I shop Amazon. eBay is a pain in the ......

I agree- that is what I here all the time as well- BUT!!!!! Ebay - it is not the answer to try an copy Amazon more- that is why ebay has gotten to difficult to use- because Ebay is not a retailer- it is a facilitating site to connect sellers and buyers. that's it!- all the attempts and policy change over the years to try and catch up with amazon have driven the sales down and made buyers leave because nobody wants 2 amazons!-  keep ebay great for what it was and you will see a resurgence in use. START with the horrible search engine and get rid of promoted listings and manipulated search results

Message 21 of 107
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

While it's true that most online selling platforms manage payments "this way", the comparison is moot because most online selling platforms do not operate this way. For instance, Mercari allows you to use processing/pending funds to make purchases within the site. Etsy Payments makes funds from all sales available for deposit within 24 hours - business day or not. Amazon has a reliable, set payment schedule that all sellers follow, which they all knew about before they signed up.

I’ve noticed that 99.99% of sellers on eBay that are (allegedly) thrilled with MP are low volume and/or don’t even have active listings. Yes, MP is fantastic as long as you never have to actually rely on it. I’ve also noticed that the higher the volume, the longer the processing time.

The bottom line is this: eBay Managed Payments is unreliable, has zero support for sellers, and offers NOTHING to incentivize sellers who are blindly blasted into the program. We’re not just a bunch of whinebags with loads of time on our hands who come here to gripe about something that doesn’t matter or doesn’t have significant room for improvement. We’re here because our businesses have been turned upside down, punched in the face, and thrown into a ditch by eBay Managed Payments and we’re hoping someone with influence is listening and will do something about it.

Very well said! thank you.  It is important for ebay to know that we are not just complaining for the sake of it. We dont want to have to sit here and complain! We want to do what we do best- run our businesses and help customers. when ebay is working as it should- with little intervention- I dont even think about this stuff. I just list more and sell more and ship more. All of the site changes and negative policy additions burden already overtaxed infrastructure and cause problems and stifle sales and seller enthusiasm. It is not rocket science. If most sellers long for the ebay of past------thats all the survey ebay needs. 

Message 22 of 107
latest reply

I've been a small seller on ebay for 17 years. Each and every time ebay has changed something, it's for THEIR benefit at the expense of the sellers. This managed payment thing is nothing but a money-grab for ebay so not only are they making the processing fee (2.9% in my case) but they are also using the "float" which makes them even more money. Imagine, using somebody else's money for 5 to 7 days for FREE! It adds up. I'm not happy about the several extra days it now takes to get my money. It seems to take an average of 5 to 7 days for ebay to payout to my bank and another day for my bank to deposit it in my account. But I have NO choice if I continue to use ebay.

Message 23 of 107
latest reply

We postponed the Managed payments for as long as we could.  Sadly, the system finally found us and we were forced to start.  It is EXACTLY as we thought it would be. Payouts that take ....daaays.... to process instead of the immediacy of PayPal - which also then allowed sellers to purchase with their funds.  What a magnificent joke eBay has played on their reliable sellers - people who started them and made them successful.  So, at the start of the new year we will  - after almost 20 years [2 sites]  - leave eBay as so many others have done.  What a STUPID = STUPID  move eBay has made - and their returns will eventually demonstrate it was not a good idea to eliminate IMMEDIATE FUNDING  and replace it with 4-6 days of WAITING for the MONEY WE MAKE.  Thanks eBay - and to the yo-ho  who made this decision -  it won't be long before this catches up with you.

Message 24 of 107
latest reply

Good post up to "we’re hoping someone... will do something about it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe they could sell it to Oracle.

Message 25 of 107
latest reply

Welcome to the real world.  If you had a real job you would get paid no more than once a week, usually every two weeks.  Or if you were a contractor you do  some work for a person and hope the pay you  "soon"

Message 26 of 107
latest reply

If you were a ballerina, you would dance on your toes.

If you sell an item, you're either paid on the spot or offer financing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. We must be over the rainbow! Now I know we're not in Kansas!

Message 27 of 107
latest reply

@wrong66 wrote:

Do you pay your employees "daily"? I doubt it very much.

Tell groceries stores you aren't paying them today for the food you've brought to the register because they only pay their employees twice a month.  Let me know how that works out for you.

Message 28 of 107
latest reply

That's a bad analogy and not the real world.  When you (buyer) go to pick up a pizza, do you pay the pizza maker (seller) right then and there, or days later?

Message 29 of 107
latest reply

I just figured out my payments are being held up with the new MP system. This appears to be a way for eBay to hold on to cash via their 'system' and make $$ on our dime, while we have to wait for payment to randomly show up at EBAYS DISCRETION. I received a 'declined by bank' error message and now my the amount I am due is in limbo, just pending per being declined. PayPal was immediate and would post as soon as payment was made. I could use the cash towards the shipping costs. Now it comes out of pocket. Do they only try to post payments once a day? This could take weeks to figure out if I will ever get paid. THIS MP SYSTEM SUCKS! They are not a banking system either!!!!!!! Why do they have money owed to me!!!!!!!! What would happen if we waited until payment reached our bank account to ship the goods....this isn't good. 😞

Message 30 of 107
latest reply