cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Issues

Recently, I enrolled in Ebay Mangeed Payments for sellers because the indicastion was that my selling acount would be limited if I did not switch from Paypal to Managed Payments. I have been very disappointed and frankly, I feel defrauded by Ebay, because I still have not received funds in my account from a sale 3 days ago. I miss Paypal, when I transferred the funds to my bank account myself, and the money was available the next day. I would like to hear from other disgruntled sellers and discuss ways around this inferior system.

Message 1 of 273
latest reply
272 REPLIES 272

Re: Managed Payments Issues

You seem to think eBay by magic is going to make corrections to this mess.  eBay is not really motivated to get this right or they would have in two years they played with MP in BETA.  Look Elliott Management was clear in their 2018 paper, "Plan", to eBay Board of Directors that MP and promoted listings were the way to get profits going.  Also they indicated that eBay had been mismanaged for a very long time, which is true, i.e. Devon being fired and Jamie installed as CEO, Elliott's guy.  Prior to the removal of Devon as CEO eBay's stock price was flat at $30-35 a share.  The 2018 Plan states with the changes implemented outlined in the Plan Elliott was convinced that the stock price should get to $63-65 per share.  Well Elliott Management are good at what they do.  Now on the backs of the Sellers the stock price is in that $50-55 range and will hit their goal by the end of the year.  So you see this is all about a money grab not having a platform run smooth.  There is no real appreciation for the Sellers.  We are just a vehicle to get to a goal.  Like I said before I do 2.4mil online selling and now do only 400K on eBay working hard to get off.  I hope we make it before Elliott, which is a hedge fund, sells off the company as they do control the eBay board.

Message 16 of 273
latest reply

I would like to hear from other disgruntled sellers and discuss ways around this inferior system.

I think something very similar just happened in Sacramento CA.  Maybe you should learn before you created more trash.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 17 of 273
latest reply

@mobley120 wrote:

There's a back issue with MP that will continue to hurt eBay, it concerns marketing, best way to explain it: every other e-commerce site I shop with, has next day ship-out, or no more than 2 days handling time. But, due to eBay's MP system, many sellers on eBay have increased their handling time, and why, is because they are waiting for eBay to release the funds to their accounts, thus subjecting the buyers to delays in receiving what they have paid for in good faith. 

Many times I have read different posts here, where sellers have asked questions  concerning MP, and about the shipping of items without receiving funds to those sellers' accounts. And just about all recommendations that have been put forth are, "increase your handling time, that way you are not helt to a particular ship-out time and that will allow you time to receive the funds from eBay,," so with that in mind, it would seem to me to be a marketing nightmare for eBay, once it becomes mainstream knowledge that if you buy things on eBay, it's likely the item will not be shipped-out for 3 to 5 days.

I do realize, not all sellers increase their handling time beyond 2 days and some still do next day ship, but many sellers have increased their handling time due to the MP system, thus, not only causing a nightmare in marketing for eBay but also those sellers who recognize that next day ship is pretty much a standard in e-commerce and, is a marketing tool that works.

The above is just my opinions

That is a seller issue, not a site issue regarding handling time.  The other sites I sell on have sellers with a variety of handling times not just 1-2 days.  But with MP it just isn't an issue or shouldn't be an issue for sellers to ship quicker.  Buyers have ZERO ability to stop, retract, cancel or otherwise reverse a payment they have made to pay for an item on this site.  They never had this capability with PP and they don't have the ability to do that now just because it is a payment into MP.

So any delays is a choice of the seller and it is those sellers that will need to deal with that fall out.  There are likely more sellers in Ebay that just have stuck with their normal handling time as it simply isn't an issue for many.  We can have our shipping charges taken for our MP fund and just ship.

"about the shipping of items without receiving funds to those sellers' accounts. And just about all recommendations that have been put forth are, "increase your handling time, that way you are not helt to a particular ship-out time and that will allow you time to receive the funds from eBay,,"  Then my comeback to that is that you have visited or read a limited number of threads as that is not what I've seen and I've been very active on threads related to MP.  But with that said, it is completely up to each seller.  They just need to do what is best for them.  It is their little business.

For me I do the Weekly Deposit.  Every Tuesday morning it is released and it is in my bank before noon on Wednesday.  This works very well for me.  

There are different viewpoints on all of what you bring up.  It is a mixed bag of what sellers are doing.  But I see no "nightmare" here for Ebay.  Sellers have always been able to set their own handling times within the rules of Ebay.  There are lots of sellers that are NOT in MP that have longer handling times.  That has never been a "nightmare" for Ebay.  I don't know why that it would then become one now because of MP.  To me that doesn't make sense.  If longer handling times were to be a "nightmare" for Ebay, then it would have been one for a whole lot of years.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 273
latest reply

I read every word of the policy statement on Managed Pay. Nowhere does it state that Managed Pay is much slower than Paypal to get funds to sellers. Based on your response, you are obviously an Ebay employee.

Message 19 of 273
latest reply

I read every word of the Managed Pay policy. That does not change the fact that is is far inferior to Paypal and that sellers now receive funds much more slowly than with Paypal. Reading the policy does nothing to improve the policy. You are correct in one sense though. The only choice in the matter for a seller is whether he or she wants to continue selling on Ebay. Thank God for Poshmark!

Message 20 of 273
latest reply

It is not a reading issue. It is a service issue. Reading the policy does not change the policy, nor does it provide the seller with any choice other than whether to continue selling on Ebay. Regardless, the Managed Payment system in no way benefits sellers. Etsy offers a much better selling platform than the current version of Ebay. I suppose the solution is to sell only on Etsy and Poshmark.

Message 21 of 273
latest reply

@cleviebee wrote:

I read every word of the policy statement on Managed Pay. Nowhere does it state that Managed Pay is much slower than Paypal to get funds to sellers. Based on your response, you are obviously an Ebay employee.

Sure it does, while they don't compare it to PP in the policy pages, it is clear on how the money is processed and the timing of it.  We can therefore tell that the process is longer than PPs because we are very use to what PP's process is.  The graphics I posted for you up thread is what the policy pages say, just in an easier to read format.

Here we go again.  Because I can explain a policy does not mean I support or like it.  What it DOES mean is that I took the time to learn what the policy means and how it is applied.  That enables me to be able to better explain it to others.  

From your opening questions you did not understand the process so I simply tried to explain how they actually work to you.  Because you don't like how it works changes NOTHING.  Because I don't like how it works changes NOTHING.  

If you don't want actual answers to your questions, then don't ask.

Message 22 of 273
latest reply

@cleviebee wrote:

I read every word of the Managed Pay policy. That does not change the fact that is is far inferior to Paypal and that sellers now receive funds much more slowly than with Paypal. Reading the policy does nothing to improve the policy. You are correct in one sense though. The only choice in the matter for a seller is whether he or she wants to continue selling on Ebay. Thank God for Poshmark!

Postmark has their own money processing program too as to most larger sites like Ebay.  Ebay is just the last one to adopt their own.  The others have had them for quite awhile.  Poshmark's money processing is more difficult and takes MUCH LONGER than Ebay's does.

https://blog.poshmark.com/2015/03/12/posh-tip-how-to-get-paid-selling-on-poshmark/

Get paid when the item is accepted

Once the buyer receives your package and has accepted the item, your earnings will be automatically deposited into your Poshmark account. Buyers have up to three days to accept the item and after that, the funds are automatically released to you, the seller.

Note that Poshmark takes a commission for each sale, which is used to ensure credit card safety and provide support from Poshmark to help create a fun, safe and ever-improving platform for our Poshers. For every sale over $15 that is made, you keep 80% of your sale. For any order under $15, there is a flat commision fee of $2.95. When you list an item, we make sure you know exactly what you’re making. Just check out the “My Earnings” section on the listing and you can see how much you will make for that sale price.

You will have to go to smaller sites to escape it so you can continue with PP.

Message 23 of 273
latest reply

@cleviebee wrote:

It is not a reading issue. It is a service issue. Reading the policy does not change the policy, nor does it provide the seller with any choice other than whether to continue selling on Ebay. Regardless, the Managed Payment system in no way benefits sellers. Etsy offers a much better selling platform than the current version of Ebay. I suppose the solution is to sell only on Etsy and Poshmark.

Good cuz I NEVER said it did, so I'm unsure where this comment is coming from.  Don't blame me for the policy, I didn't write it, I simply explained it and you clearly don't like the explanation.  I can't do anything about that.  What I said is still accurate.

Etsy has a very similar money processing program and their processor is Adyen just like it is for Ebay.

Poshmark I explained in my previous post.

Looks like you need to do more shopping for an alternative.

Message 24 of 273
latest reply

"That is a seller issue, not a site issue regarding handling time; etc.; blah blah blah"

As always, you cite your illogical, Loyalist spin to the matter.

And furthermore, it seems to me your thoughts are mostly self-serving. And, I would try to explain marketing strategy to you, in which is an eBay issue, along with being a seller's issue, but I do believe that'd be fruitless.

I view eBay's MP system as a nightmarish failure, thus far, and I think there are many eBay members who would also agree with that.

Have a great evening in your world, wherever your head lodges?

End

Message 25 of 273
latest reply

@mobley120 wrote:

"That is a seller issue, not a site issue regarding handling time; etc.; blah blah blah"

As always, you cite your illogical, Loyalist spin to the matter.

And furthermore, it seems to me your thoughts are mostly self-serving. And, I would try to explain marketing strategy to you, in which is an eBay issue, along with being a seller's issue, but I do believe that'd be fruitless.

I view eBay's MP system as a nightmarish failure, thus far, and I think there are many eBay members who would also agree with that.

Have a great evening in your world, wherever your head lodges?

End

Nope!

3.jpg

Message 26 of 273
latest reply

I just want to add a note here:

The year is 2021, and today's technology allows me to send money to the other side of the world, within minutes, yet, with eBay's MP system, a seller has to wait 3 to 5 days to collect their funds, I mean seriously, I say that's B. S..  And also there's other issues with the MP system, but I'm not going to bother with that.

Message 27 of 273
latest reply

@mobley120 wrote:

I just want to add a note here:

The year is 2021, and today's technology allows me to send money to the other side of the world, within minutes, yet, with eBay's MP system, a seller has to wait 3 to 5 days to collect their funds, I mean seriously, I say that's B. S..  And also there's other issues with the MP system, but I'm not going to bother with that.

1-4 days.  It is the email that goes out that is incorrect.  The graphics above are far more accurate.  

Once MP transfers money it goes in the ACH banking system.  MP no longer has control, it is the banks that do.  For myself I bank with a major bank and I have my deposit the next morning.  For other that may use a smaller more localized bank it can take longer.  But 1-4 days is more accurate.

Message 28 of 273
latest reply

image000000_03.gif

Message 29 of 273
latest reply

@mobley120 wrote:

image000000_03.gif

Clearly you are one that believes that because someone can explain how something works they must approve or like it.  So sad.  I get it you don't like how MP works.  Some don't.  I've said before and I'll say it again, there are some things in MP I simply do not like at all but selling on Ebay is profitable for me so it is a GOOD business decision to stay here.  

I can explain in great detail what it is like to break your ankle bone in half and what happens after that.  That does NOT mean I recommend going out and breaking your ankle bone.  It ONLY means I understand what is involved and can explain it.

You seem to see anyone that won't get on board with your viewpoint to be wrong.  I don't expect everyone to see things the way I do and you should expect everyone to see things the way you do.  That doesn't mean we have to be arguing on the threads.  There is room for us all.

Message 30 of 273
latest reply