cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a proposal regarding eBay's Automatic Charge to Bids and offers

This message is for all buyers, and sellers out there, that are getting aggravated, and notice a drop in auction bids, as well as a drop in sales, due to eBay's recent changes to payment options on auction/bids/and offers. I myself, have experience this annoyance, and everyone I've spoke to about it, has nothing positive to say about it...If you think about it, it's not just buyers, and sellers that are being impacted, but ironically it seems that eBay may be shooting themselves in the foot. I'll start from my perspective as a very frequent buyer ( I do sales on eBay as well), but as a once very frequent buyer, I have had to slow down my purchases quite a bit, due to the fact that, I am not longer able to select a payment option. When prompted to make a bid  or offer , I selected PayPal, thinking that once offer/bid was accepted that I would be able to select any option on my PayPal wallet per usual, including pay in 4 option on PayPal. However, I found out the hard way that I was instantly charged the full amount. I have used PayPal for almost all of my purchases on eBay, and it has been a great way to buy multiple things, that otherwise may have kept me from spending.I have done hundreds of purchases this way, and have never missed a payment..I can spend up to 1500.00 on a pay in 4. So, with that in mind..What does eBay think will happen when, they cut off consumers from being able to make an impulse buy, or even just feel more at ease bidding or attempting offers, due to the ability of the buyer to know that they can purchase something they really want, and spread out the cost to a more flexible payment. If they don't have us "buyers and sellers", they have nothing. So I've heard from many that this was implemented by eBay to keep people from backing out of accepting offers and bidding on auctions.I don't know about everyone else, but I have always paid within the 4 day grace period they had( most of the time I paid same day). And I never had a problem selling to someone, as long as they paid in the allowed time period. Also, for most sellers out there, not one person I've spoke to about it, has anything good to say about it..They are finding, that customers are getting more upset, thinking it was them who set this payment up, however it was eBay, and they automatically opted sellers into this, without really notifying anyone. I have also heard that this instant pay is complicating combined shipping,for those purchases multiple items. As for supposedly making it better for all involved, and stating that it keeps people from backing out, I have a proposition.. So how do people feel about a seller having an option to actually turn off the instant pay on their auctions and offers, and on the actual item itself have an indicator on the auction that will tell bidders that it must be paid in full...I bet they would find that for those who kept theirs on, and not how it was, that the sellers that had it disabled would be more fruitful.I can almost guarantee it!!!  WHY?, Because think about it... you see an auction of a comic that you've been trying to get, and couldn't find...then...you see this auction and there's only a small amount of watchers, and it's at a decent price with a day or so left.... So let's say it's at $180.00 right now.Lets say it's Wednesday night and you get paid on Friday....How it was before, buyers were comfortable bidding on a Weds night, nowing they had some leeway, even if they had no money that day, but knew by the time they had to pay, that they could either cover the cost, or easily put it on a pay in 4 through Zip, or PayPal or whatever!!! But now, what do you think happens when you take that ability away from millions of people who previously had that option?!?... Everyone Loses, including eBay themselves wether they realize it yet or not.... So I propose a "flag", or toggle , green light?, something that buyers can disable to let people know if they are bidding or sending an offer, that they won't be charged instantly upon winning, or acceptance on every item put up for bid or offer..As for people that have never had an issue, or never backed out unless it was truly a simple mistake( I've had it happen once)....And hey eBay how about a strike policy for those people that ruin it for the rest of the class?!....For Example: If you bid and win, but then don't  pay within the 3-4 day period, then the buyer is put on a 3 Strike policy( but a message sent to seller to confirm it as negligent first, before repercussion), So ,when confirmed, now their bidding and offers rights with grace period are taken away for the whole month( again: only if it's verified, that they skipped out, by seller), In that period they can offer or bid, but they are automatically back to instant pay until the month is up...after the 3rd time in particular time period, then just bar them from being able to have the leeway for the rest of the year or whatever?!?..... SEEMS LIKE THIS CONCEPT WOULD HELP ALL OF US, INCLUDING YOU EBAY!!! Id like for as many people that agree to this, Please pass this on to everyone you know, and share it..PLEASE!!, WE CAN CHANGE THIS BACK TO WHAT WORKED...EBAY RELIES ON US TO MAKE THEIR MONEY, AND WE RELY ON THEIR PLATFORM, THIS SHOULD BE AN OPEN CONSIDERATION  FROM ALL INVOLVED...LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO HELP THE MAKE IT , Just type AGREE IN ALL CAPS IN YOUR RESPONSE, LETS MAKE THIS AN E-SIGN PETITION THANKS!!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

A wall of text is very hard to read.  Paragraphs with a space between the paragraphs really help.  And more people would stop by to read what you have to share.

As a seller if you don't like the new options, you can turn them off in your Buyer Requirements.  It is a TOOL that sellers can choose to use or not to use.  Their decision.

Buyer Requirements 8-8-23 Pg 1.jpgBuyer Requirements 8-8-23.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@filtration8808 

Thanks for sharing...

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I could not read your post so went by your topic.....

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/unsolicited-idea-submissions-policy?id=4...

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@filtration8808 

Paragraphs are your friend.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you weren't able to view the post? Or is that a jab at the fact that I didn't separate into paragraphs?... I just have a question for you..Did you not read any of the content?   

It seems more people are concerned about my message structure, than the actual point. This isn't Purdue Owl, and I'm not writing a Final Essay at an Ivy League School. I will repost this topic with separated paragraphs when I get a chance. If you don't have an actual response towards the actual content, then please just move along , thanks

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Understood, I get it. At some point I will edit this post. I was trying to get my thoughts out quickly. I see that you showed where you can change that option on eBay. However, like I stated in my post, I have heard that even when people change the option, that the buyer still has to select the autopayment on bids and offers.

That is debatable, because I'm not quite sure myself. My main reason for posting this, is to accumulate enough people's opinion on the actual policy. Hopefully reveal to eBay, that many people are open to switching it back, or even revamping their current procedure regarding this. I don't know where else you can go to accumulate responses, in order to reveal a clear issue to eBay.   

Therefore, I posted on the eBay community chat...I'm not particularly looking for answers on how to do something on eBay. It is more an attempt to get enough people to agree that something needs to be changed, due to the issues that have risen from this new policy. I believe I brought up valid points in my post, and gave examples of the effects of this change. I figured if enough people "Agreed", that it may create a large enough voice to consider a change. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@filtration8808 wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you weren't able to view the post? Or is that a jab at the fact that I didn't separate into paragraphs?... I just have a question for you..Did you not read any of the content?   

It seems more people are concerned about my message structure, than the actual point. This isn't Purdue Owl, and I'm not writing a Final Essay at an Ivy League School. I will repost this topic with separated paragraphs when I get a chance. If you don't have an actual response towards the actual content, then please just move along , thanks

No, they were saying the same thing I did in the first response on this thread.  Reading a wall of text is very difficult on the eyes.  So many will not even attempt to read what you originally posted.

When you want to share ideas or information.  It is key to posting that on a thread so that people will read it.  I'm sure you have some important points, but because of the way you chose to post it, many won't ever even read it.

It isn't that any of us are more concerned with your format than what you had to say, it is the opposite.  We can't or won't read what you had to say because of the format you chose to use.

No poster has the right on or in this Community to ask anyone not to post.  We all have the right to post.  And I guarantee we won't all agree on much of anything, but we all have the right to post what we want as long as it is civil.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@filtration8808 wrote:

Understood, I get it. At some point I will edit this post. I was trying to get my thoughts out quickly. I see that you showed where you can change that option on eBay. However, like I stated in my post, I have heard that even when people change the option, that the buyer still has to select the autopayment on bids and offers.

That is debatable, because I'm not quite sure myself. My main reason for posting this, is to accumulate enough people's opinion on the actual policy. Hopefully reveal to eBay, that many people are open to switching it back, or even revamping their current procedure regarding this. I don't know where else you can go to accumulate responses, in order to reveal a clear issue to eBay.   

Therefore, I posted on the eBay community chat...I'm not particularly looking for answers on how to do something on eBay. It is more an attempt to get enough people to agree that something needs to be changed, due to the issues that have risen from this new policy. I believe I brought up valid points in my post, and gave examples of the effects of this change. I figured if enough people "Agreed", that it may create a large enough voice to consider a change. 

That would have been a while ago when these options were still being tested.  That is not the case anymore.  The test is over.  Now the options are being rolled out site wide.  Sorry, I did not read your post, so I don't know the details of what you wanted to share.

You can't get a majority opinion here on the threads.  Not because people aren't willing to post opinion but because the majority of sellers aren't here, ever.  No where near the majority of sellers are active on the forums.

Which Community Chat did you post on?  What was the response?  Community Chats are held once a month.  The next one is next week I believe.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Monthly-Chat-January-17th-1-00-pm-PST/m-p/34217428#M2337655

It is unlikely that you will get too many agreeing that these changes are bad.  Sellers have asked for a way to get bidders on auctions and those that send offers that are accepted by the seller to actually pay for what they purchased.  It has taken Ebay a quarter of a century to actually give sellers a tool in which they can CHOOSE to use or not.  You as a seller can choose NOT to use it, it is within your control.

I don't think it is a good idea to try and take this choice away from sellers.  You simply don't have the right.  Sellers are perfectly capable in making their own decisions on this and that is how it should be.  

You don't like it, then change your Buyer Requirements as a seller.  The the issue is solved for you.  But don't try to force that choice onto others that want to use the options.  That is unfair!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

The minority of sellers who use auctions differ in their intentions and their goals for the item.

Some of those sellers are regular auction sellers.

Some of those sellers are liquidating merchandise which has had disappointing results as BIN.

Some of those sellers are looking for a quick wholesale sale to another seller who is more patient.

There is a difference in the amount of hassle these groups of sellers are willing to tolerate, and their expectations for the auction results.

Seller opinion has been shown to be in favor of the ability to reduce the non-paying bidder problem, whether the seller uses that ability or not.

The auction will continue to be with us, as long as Ebay is Ebay. The concept of an Ebay without auctions is not likely. But the importance of auctions to the site is perpetually decreasing as the amount of time spent buying anything and anywhere is being reduced.

The minority of Ebay buyers and sellers who use the auction method will adjust with time. Sellers who use auctions because they do not know what price their item will bring are already seeing the bulk of their auctions not selling or getting only 1 bid.

Some of those non-paying bidders are non-paying bidders because the auction process requires too many site visits. They will either adjust to having to provide payment info, or purchase BIN items.

My personal setting are Payment info required for Auctions and not required for Make An Offer. I use both infrequently.

My auctions are intended to be wholesale lots and I haven't run one in months. When I do, I want no more hassle than a BIN listing.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Again, if you actually read it, than it's an idea, that I think all would be happy with...but that's your choice, like I said in my post, I spoke to numerous buyers, and sellers, and majority hate it.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@filtration8808 wrote:

Again, if you actually read it, than it's an idea, that I think all would be happy with...but that's your choice, like I said in my post, I spoke to numerous buyers, and sellers, and majority hate it.

In my experience selling online which is measured in decades, there is no idea all would be happy with unless it is free money with no strings attached, and some would probably find that to be a challenge to their principles.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@filtration8808 wrote:

But I'm not going to do that for reasons already stated.  

Do you realize how many sellers you would have to speak with to represent a majority when there are around 7 million US sellers?  As to buyers, there are around 145+ million of them.

Sellers that hate it can simply opt out of the requirements, then their buyers do not have to comply.  It seems like a simple answer to me.  It is MY choice whether to use the options or not as a seller.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

TLDR Paragraphs are your friend! I couldn't  get through that wall of text.

All I got from the first bit is that you're not able to choose pay in 4 and instead are being charged the whole amount. On the pay screen it still gives you the options to choose how you want to pay and you have to actually click the box for pay in 4.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

No ,it doesn't...it only asked once on an auction I bid on, and I selected pay pal, because in order to bid you are prompted to select a payment option before you bid, and notifies you that if you win it will auto deduct in full from that selection... However, once I won, it pulled from whatever card was my default card in my PayPal wallet...When previously, if you win a bid, you have 4 days to pay, and once the actual total is there, you select PayPal, and it takes me to my PayPal wallet options, including pay in 4 options.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply