cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got excited thinking Managed Payments was becoming like the old Paypal payment system, but .......

Today I saw the banner on the top of my Seller Hub, saying I can now get my payments sent to a debit card.  Wow, 30 minutes or less for "available funds" to be ACTUALLY available for spending wherever you need to, like back in the good ol' Paypal days?   I thought YIPPIE! so I clicked on the link. 

That page included the disappointing fact that choosing a debit card for deposit would cost a 1.5% fee, but then I remembered that Paypal likewise charged a fee for each deposit too, in fact I think it was more than 1.5% (anybody remember?).   So I thought the option might be acceptable, but then I remembered that this 1.5% would be ON TOP of the hiked FVF rate Ebay charges with MP.    I wondered, if you want this, do you have to commit to a full switch from bank deposits to debit card deposits for all subsequent payments, or can you get a 1-time debit card deposit as needed, like for an emergency?   

In the usual Ebay format, this page didn't explain any of that, but had another link for more info.  Click.  
My screenshot below shows the fuller information.  Apparently the debit card option IS an on-demand one, and you don't even have to take all your available funds; you can enter a lesser amount if that's all you need.  I thought GREAT, PERFECT!!  But I went to find this 'Withdraw' icon on my payments page, and it isn't there, or at least I can't find it.  So going back to this info page, I see the part about how you can only get payments on demand if your regular payment schedule is at least 'weekly'.  You cannot get it if you're on 'daily.'   I am on daily, so that probably explains why I don't see the Withdraw option.  

Well, poop.  Funny thing is, I actually had a vehicle malfunction scenario over this holiday weekend where I really could have used an emergency option to get some of my Available funds, definitely would have been willing to pay 1.5% for it.   This was the thing I loved so much about the Paypal days; in an emergency I could photograph some bullion and/or old silver coins from a stash I keep for rainy days, plop them on Ebay at a price too good for stackers to resist but still higher than what I'd get at my local coin shop, make the sale in literal minutes, and have the money just as fast as if I HAD gone to the coin shop, ready to spend in my Paypal account, BAM.  

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this policy that you can't get an on-demand deposit if you're on daily payments.  I mean the system is able to handle any other deductions from Available funds, like if I purchase shipping labels or issue a refund, so what makes a personal withdrawal any different?   

C4044CD9-812B-4735-8027-9D2F3D28CDD7_4_5005_c.jpeg 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: I got excited thinking Managed Payments was becoming like the old Paypal payment system, but ...

Hey what happened after your switch to Weekly payments was fully activated?  Did it continue to make your Available funds lag like it appeared to during the activation period/weekend?  Are you now able to get debit card on-demand funds the way valueadded suggested, or did it just make you stuck waiting a week?  

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: I got excited thinking Managed Payments was becoming like the old Paypal payment system, but ...

1.) Pick a time when you can afford to go a few days without a payout - the initial set up for this requires a verification process that will lock up your payouts for "up to 48 hours" according to eBay.

They might do well to make sure this is known...! I wandered down the "Let's Get Started" path for express payments. And this was totally NOT clear. They need to make sure people know this will give the 48 hour suspension.

Not only did that change my ebay fee source...it also put all my funds on hold for 48 hours - and seemed to force me to verify my ID everytime I bought something....

Message 17 of 17
latest reply