cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen gift cards

I just bought 500 dollars in gift cards in order to purchase something I didn’t want my wife to know about yet. The cards were activated at the store but when I came home and attempted to use them on a 488.00 dollar purchase I was told that I had to use another form of payment. I called eBay customer service and got 2 different stories. I was finally told that the cards were frozen the second they were activated by fraud prevention and I had to email them my original receipt, a picture of the back of the cards and a note that had my user name and date on it. They told me that it will take a week for the funds to be released. So they take my money and everybody else’s money, tie it up for a week, which depending on how large the pool of money is, could make them hundreds of thousands of dollars a week on just one group of people. Do this year round and that money adds up. So I am inconvenienced for who knows how long so eBay can make a profit on money that is NOT theirs. Genius  actually !!! Until you get hit with a class action lawsuit and now you have to pay BILLIONS in restitution and fines and lawyer fees. No wonder Amazon is spanking eBay. I will never shop eBay again and I will tell this story to everyone that will listen. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Frozen gift cards

I called eBay customer service

How did you get in touch with customer service, exactly?

There are a lot of scam web pages advertised on Google with phone numbers that do not actually lead to eBay.

To actually contact eBay, in most cases you must go through the Help & Contact page and request a call back.

Whenever anyone mentions taking a picture of a gift card and sending that to someone via email, I am suspicious that it may be some sort of scam. Because that is the sort of thing that scammers often request.

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/faqs.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Frozen gift cards

If you got that eBay number off the internet you got hooked up with a scammer that wanted to gain knowledge of your redemption codes. A real csr could be trying to steal your redemption code, too.  Gift card faqs tell you do not give the code to anyone. 

After you buy the cards they take to 4 hours to become activated.

If the cards don't  work the real eBay tells you to contact the store. There are no refunds and I think you tried to use the cards before they were activated. 

I don't think you'll be getting a refund or have the card start working now or a week from now.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Frozen gift cards

Just wondering if you ever got your money back? This happened to my son and they are saying too bad- they froze the cards and suspended his account. We have tried multiple times including me calling. I’m ready to take next steps but cannot find anywhere what those steps would be.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Frozen gift cards

This post is 8 months old. I don't  think they're still here.

How old is your son?

https://pages.ebay.com/ebaygiftcard/

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Frozen gift cards

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply