cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebays wants my SSN

It seems Ebay is making changes to the way we will get paid. I don't have any problems with the new changes but they are asking for my SSN. Anyone else see a problem with giving it to them? 

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Ebays wants my SSN

@lazy7 wrote:

And here we go. 

And yet this is what I see when I highlight your nickname.

pburn
Rockstar
HELPFUL
SOLUTIONS
Member Since 2-19-2018   ************************************************************************************************
Last Visited 12-12-2020 03:21:57AM

That just shows how long they've been a member here in the community, not when they joined Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 31 of 51
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I signed up with PayPal in 2001 and had to give them my SSN then. It was an odd situation because that was when they were sending out letters to your physical address with a code you had to enter. Since I had no physical address that received mail I had to get help from PayPal Damon who helped here on the boards and we had to enter my SSN and bank information (savings account) and I think I may have also furnished a copy of a utility bill.  So PayPal has had my SSN forever.

I signed up in 1999 and I distinctly recall having to give them my SSN.

Message 32 of 51
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@lazy7 wrote:

I see you've only been a member for a few years

So, if you're wrong about that, I suppose you could be wrong about other things, too?

Capture.JPG

@pburn- ouch, that burn obviously stung her.... 

Message 33 of 51
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@pburn wrote:

@lazy7 wrote:

I see you've only been a member for a few years

So, if you're wrong about that, I suppose you could be wrong about other things, too?

Capture.JPG

@pburn- ouch, that burn obviously stung her.... 

All they had to do was look at their own and they would have seen the difference.  Their Community profile says 2002 and their FB page says 1998.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 51
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

In 1999? You did this via what protocol?

All PayPal was back then was a digital wallet and it had no connection to ebay.

Message 35 of 51
latest reply

I have a serious problem with providing my SSN to Ebay for multiple reasons. First of all, my Ebay account was hacked earlier this year and it was a nightmare. Took me months to straighten it out. The hackers stole enough info that they essentially hijacked my Ebay account. I had to change every password, get new bank and credit cards, etc. On 12/11/2020 I received a notification from Ebay that I had to update my information and include my SSN or they would not release the funds that my customers paid through PayPal. PayPal has now been cut out as the middleman and based on the contract they had with Ebay.  PayPal's hands are tied. I contacted Ebay because the money (approximately $200.00) did not show in my PayPal account or in my bank account. It was essentially in limbo. I was told that they would not release my money until I gave them my SSN, so it remains in their hands. "THAT" is illegal. I understand that they want my SSN in order to send a 1099 if I sell 20K or more. Ebay is not a financial institution and I am not obligated to give it to them. If I were to sell over the limit and need to file taxes, I can request a 1099. Ebay has been tracking all of my sales since 2003 so they know exactly how much money I bring in. Like the rest of BIG TECH, they want power and the ability to trace everything about all of us. Other selling sites don't request your SSN. Why does Ebay? They are holding me hostage by not releasing the money that I am owed. I already shipped the items to my customers! Jamie Iannone, may I suggest that you get your act together and remedy this before you lose your entire selling base? Any ideas? Where do I go next?

Message 36 of 51
latest reply

@mazzababy wrote:

I have a serious problem with providing my SSN to Ebay for multiple reasons. First of all, my Ebay account was hacked earlier this year and it was a nightmare. Took me months to straighten it out. The hackers stole enough info that they essentially hijacked my Ebay account. I had to change every password, get new bank and credit cards, etc. On 12/11/2020 I received a notification from Ebay that I had to update my information and include my SSN or they would not release the funds that my customers paid through PayPal. PayPal has now been cut out as the middleman and based on the contract they had with Ebay.  PayPal's hands are tied. I contacted Ebay because the money (approximately $200.00) did not show in my PayPal account or in my bank account. It was essentially in limbo. I was told that they would not release my money until I gave them my SSN, so it remains in their hands. "THAT" is illegal. I understand that they want my SSN in order to send a 1099 if I sell 20K or more. Ebay is not a financial institution and I am not obligated to give it to them. If I were to sell over the limit and need to file taxes, I can request a 1099. Ebay has been tracking all of my sales since 2003 so they know exactly how much money I bring in. Like the rest of BIG TECH, they want power and the ability to trace everything about all of us. Other selling sites don't request your SSN. Why does Ebay? They are holding me hostage by not releasing the money that I am owed. I already shipped the items to my customers! Jamie Iannone, may I suggest that you get your act together and remedy this before you lose your entire selling base? Any ideas? Where do I go next?

I respect your concerns completely and if I were in your shoes I'd feel the same way.  MP's hands are tied due to IRS rules.  Just like when PP required all of us to give them our SSNs back in 2012.  They don't have a choice.  Your issue on that point is with IRS not Ebay or PP.  

You say it is "illegal".  What law is it that they are breaking?  Some say this but never can come up with a law they are breaking.  Besides if it is a requirement by IRS, then how could it be that they are breaking a law.  

My heart goes out to you because I really do understand and appreciate why you feel the way you do.  I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that.

FYI other sites that have their own money processing programs do require an SSN to be on file.  

Message 37 of 51
latest reply

@electronics510 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

In 1999? You did this via what protocol?

All PayPal was back then was a digital wallet and it had no connection to ebay.

It might have been 2000, but it was very early on. I didn't sign up for it because of eBay, I signed up for it because people in my collecting field at the time were starting to use it as a payment system over checks and money orders. People realized that it was a much more convenient way to get paid than having to wait for the check/money order to arrive in the mail, take it to the bank/post office, and then cash it.

I actually signed up for eBay in the first place because people were starting to use it to list the type of thing I collected instead of just doing sales amongst ourselves on forums and mailing lists.

Message 38 of 51
latest reply

(posted on an older thread as well)

It's my understanding that selling personal possessions is not subject to income tax. That's what I've been doing the last few years at an amount way under what ebay formerly required for an SS no. My recollection is that was triggered by $6,000 in sales.

Now all transactions are subject to sales tax, collected by ebay.

In any event, I'm done w/ebay for sales; giving out SS nos. and DOB is another opportunity for identity theft.

Message 39 of 51
latest reply

@monkframe wrote:

It's my understanding that selling personal possessions is not subject to income tax. That's what I've been doing the last few years at an amount way under what ebay formerly required for an SS no. My recollection is that was triggered by $6,000 in sales.

In any event, I'm done w/ebay for sales; giving out SS nos. and DOB is another opportunity for identity theft.

That is not correct.  You should have been claiming your sales on your Federal Income Taxes all along.  You also get to write off your costs of sales, but you should have been claiming the income.  So hopefully that won't cause you any problems in the future.  However for your 2020 tax return I would suggest you reconsider your position as it is not supported by the IRS rules.

Just imagine that someone had a collectable they purchased 30+ years ago and they paid $100 for it then.  They sold it now and got $1,000 for it.  You betcha that IRS wants there piece of that.  Certainly and extreme but still true.  Even normal household items that you are just getting rid of.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

@monkframe 

Message 40 of 51
latest reply

@monkframe wrote:

FYI, Paypal has this information.  You would have had to of given them your SSN.

Message 41 of 51
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You should have been claiming your sales on your Federal Income Taxes all along. 

No. This is not correct for most individual sellers. If you are a sole proprietor or other entity...different story.

Here's some simple information for you to read so you can nuance that into something more informative going forward.

https://www.1040.com/blog/2019/7/12/selling-stuff-online-taxes-for-etsy-ebay-letgo-and-more/

If you have a CPA, you can run this all by them.

Message 42 of 51
latest reply

@electronics510 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

You should have been claiming your sales on your Federal Income Taxes all along. 

No. This is not correct for most individual sellers. If you are a sole proprietor or other entity...different story.

Here's some simple information for you to read so you can nuance that into something more informative going forward.

https://www.1040.com/blog/2019/7/12/selling-stuff-online-taxes-for-etsy-ebay-letgo-and-more/

If you have a CPA, you can run this all by them.

Good link and many will find it useful.  It says what I said in my earlier post, however you are correct, I should have been clearer regarding general household stuff that one already owns.  You bring up a very good point on that.

Keep in mind if you purchase anything at all for resale, that sale does belong claimed on your income taxes.

Either way, keep good books as all this you have to prove if IRS comes knocking.  Simply telling them that everything you sold was simply stuff from around your own house that you previously owned will not be good enough.

And you do NOT have to be a formally set up Sole Proprietorship or any other kind of business to owe taxes on what you sell on the internet or elsewhere.  

Message 43 of 51
latest reply

And your quoting of federal tax law that supports your position?

Message 44 of 51
latest reply

@monkframe wrote:

And your quoting of federal tax law that supports your position?

I didn't quote any federal law, nor did I say I was quoting from one.  @electronics510 posted a good link in post # 42 that you may find helpful.

Message 45 of 51
latest reply