cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebays wants my SSN

It seems Ebay is making changes to the way we will get paid. I don't have any problems with the new changes but they are asking for my SSN. Anyone else see a problem with giving it to them? 

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Ebays wants my SSN

@lazy7 wrote:

And I can assure you, that when I signed up for paypal back in 1998, my ssn was not given to them. Not sure when you signed up, but no way does paypal have this.

And this is a travesty of ebay wanting ss numbers. Social security numbers are for social security purposes only, as far as I know, ebay is NOT not a banking institution either, it's a selling platform that uses outside payment options for the completion of sales.

Quite possibly , they might be over stepping their boundaries by asking for ssn's.

That is very true.  It wasn't until about 2008 that they required it.  You had to give it to them to continue to use PP on Ebay.  IRS required them to have the SSNs when they implemented 1099K's.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 51
latest reply

@aprilsbooksandsuch 

@lazy7 

@disorderlieder 

When you go to your PayPal account options, you're all suggesting that the field for "SSN" is blank? You don't have to answer. You don't have to post a snippet, like I  have. You just might want to confirm to yourselves that you've made an accurate statement in this thread.

PayPal SSN.JPG

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@disorderlieder wrote:

Considering they can't fix their website for years, I don't trust them with it.   I never sent that to Paypal. 

"Does PayPal Require SSNPayPal requires SSN because if you sell and use PayPal, you must add an SSN or your EIN (federal tax ID number) if you sell over $20,000 per year, AND record 200 selling transactions annually, whichever happens first. ... PayPal requires Social Security Number to verify your identity."

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@lazy7 wrote:

And I can assure you, that when I signed up for paypal back in 1998, my ssn was not given to them. Not sure when you signed up, but no way does paypal have this.

And this is a travesty of ebay wanting ss numbers. Social security numbers are for social security purposes only, as far as I know, ebay is NOT not a banking institution either, it's a selling platform that uses outside payment options for the completion of sales.

Quite possibly , they might be over stepping their boundaries by asking for ssn's.

That is very true.  It wasn't until about 2008 that they required it.  You had to give it to them to continue to use PP on Ebay.  IRS required them to have the SSNs when they implemented 1099K's.

Correction, that should have read 2012, NOT 2008.  Sorry!

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

And here we go. 

And yet this is what I see when I highlight your nickname.

pburn
Rockstar
HELPFUL
SOLUTIONS
Member Since 2-19-2018   ************************************************************************************************
Last Visited 12-12-2020 03:21:57AM
Message 20 of 51
latest reply

And I just sell here and there, I run no business, have no tax i.d. number and certainly don't make 20,000 a yr or have 200 sales.  This year I only sold 3 items. 

Ebay is not my source to make a living , I just use it as it was originally intended, basically a nationwide auction garage sale for **bleep** in my closet I'd like to move on. 😉

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

@lazy7 

We all have 2 dates ... the date we signed up for eBay and the day we started on these boards.

If you want to play that game then you have only been a member since 7-9-2002.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Ebay does not have your SSN.     The payment process Ardyen,   has the SSN.     No way Ebay,  or any other company wants the responsibility of keeping all those numbers safe.

If you look at your information page and see all the xxx's before the last 4 numbers of you SSN,  that is all that Ebay has.

SSN are held in a very secure one way server that has only a few gate keepers that have access.

Most SSN breeches occur by the individual giving out their number.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

@lazy7 

Oh, good grief. You're looking at the date and statistics for when I signed up to participate in the COMMUNITY DISCUSSION BOARDS, not when I registered to be a member of eBay.

Here's my Community profile page with details of my community involvement:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/14372895

Here's my eBay member feedback page with details of my eBay membership:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/pburn?_trksid=p2545226.m2531.l4585

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

@lazy7 wrote:

And here we go. 

And yet this is what I see when I highlight your nickname.

pburn
Rockstar
HELPFUL
SOLUTIONS
Member Since 2-19-2018   ************************************************************************************************
Last Visited 12-12-2020 03:21:57AM

What you see on the forums is when they joined the forum, NOT Ebay.  You have to look at a members feedback page to see when they joined Ebay.

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

@lazy7 wrote:

And I just sell here and there, I run no business, have no tax i.d. number and certainly don't make 20,000 a yr or have 200 sales.  This year I only sold 3 items. 

Ebay is not my source to make a living , I just use it as it was originally intended, basically a nationwide auction garage sale for **bleep** in my closet I'd like to move on. 😉

I get that.  There are lots of sellers on Ebay that sell like you do however that makes no difference.  SSNs are required.  

Every single transaction on Ebay is a business transaction even if you are a literal business / company.  There are no personal transactions on Ebay.   And all sales on the internet is suppose to be claimed on your Federal income tax return as there is no minimum threshold by IRS for that either.  Certainly you get to offset that by your costs of selling the items too.  So someone that is a casual seller isn't likely to have any tax impact to them, yet they still need to include it on their tax returns.

Money processors can't determine in the beginning if you are a seller that will hit the minimum threshold for the 1099Ks which is why they collect the SSNs up front.  It would be dangerous for them to wait to see if you get close and then start asking you for your SSN because if you passed the threshold and still didn't comply, it would me the money processor that would pay the penalty to IRS for not being able to file the 1099k.

Ebay does not have to be your "source to make a living".  That doesn't play into the requirement at all.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

Why do you insist on such logical fallacies?   Even if Paypal does require it now (I signed up in early 2000s), that wouldn't make the question of whether or not you would give your ssn to ebay somehow more or less valid.   Nor does the person being wrong about one thing make them wrong about another thing.  Paypal is a dedicated financial service and eBay is not.  Ebay has refused or been unable to even fix the numerous bugs in their own website for years.  

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

I signed up to Paypal like 19 years ago. 

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

@disorderlieder wrote:

I signed up to Paypal like 19 years ago. 

As did I.  But in or around 2012 PP REQUIRED sellers to update their accounts with SSNs.

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

I signed up with PayPal in 2001 and had to give them my SSN then. It was an odd situation because that was when they were sending out letters to your physical address with a code you had to enter. Since I had no physical address that received mail I had to get help from PayPal Damon who helped here on the boards and we had to enter my SSN and bank information (savings account) and I think I may have also furnished a copy of a utility bill.  So PayPal has had my SSN forever.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply