cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay refunded me the money less than the purchase price.

rocdjeb_0
Adventurer

Hello my friends
I'm having problem to get my money back from eBay.
I bought an ECG machine from a seller on eBay last week for $329 and i make a $1 donation to charitable organizations = $330, which equates to approximately 283.5 euros, but ebay took 292.91 euros.
The seller canceled the order under the pretext of logistical problems that he could not ship and he told me that i will be refunded.
After 3 business days, eBay refunded me 275.09 Euros
That is, approximately 16.5 euros = 19 $ is missing.
I couldn't find a way to tell them that there was an error in getting the money back.
Can you help me my friends.

Thank you in advance 🙏

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ebay refunded me the money less than the purchase price.

Sounds like and I'm guessing that you got caught on the wrong side of the conversion rates between the two currencies. I have had this happen before too but I've also been on the winning side where I receive a few dollars more than I paid, the only difference mine were returns. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hallo,

Thank you for your respons, i'm so glad 😊

Yes, I understand the exchange rate difference between currencies
But when I bought the product, they took from my Visa Card 292.92 euros, and in return, the amount was 275.09 .... I think there is something wrong.
In normal, the value that was taken is the same as  returned to the Visa Card whatever the type of currency.
In my case it will be a little less because I donated $1 donate to charities.

am I right ?
I need help to show me where i sent a complaint.
Is there a link to the complaint page on eBay?

THANK YOU 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@rocdjeb_0 ,

I see that you received feedback last week from on Oct 18 from a seller who sells that kind of machine, but I couldn't see that they had any that were priced at US329 exactly.

When PayPal was processing the payments on eBay, they used to do the currency conversion, and charge the buyer's card or bank account in their local currency. Then, if a refund was made, it was simply a reversal of the original transaction, and the buyer would receive the exact same amount of money back, in their local currency. However, many foreign buyers didn't like to have PayPal do the currency conversion because they felt they could get a better rate from their credit card or bank. I think there was a way to change this in the buyer's PayPal account, so that the payment would be charged in the listing currency, rather than in the buyer's local currency. In that case, if a refund was issued, the buyers would receive the money back in the listing currency, which might be more or less than they had originally paid in their local currency.

Now, with eBay managed payments, purchases are always charged in the listing currency, in this case that was US$. So when a refund is made, it is for the exact same amount that was paid, in US$. Since you also made a donation, that would not have been refunded, because it was not sent to the seller but to the charity involved. If you check your bank or credit card statement for the details of the transaction, it should show you that the payment was made in US$, and the refund was for the same amount in US$ (less the donation). 

The conversion rates are always different, because there are different rates for buying and selling money, so you will almost always lose a little in this situation unless the value of your local currency has gone up more than the difference in the buying/selling rates.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@rocdjeb_0 

If you think that there was an error you can contact ebay via Facebook. But I believe the exchange/conversion rates got you. @lacemaker3 makes the same point and goes into a little more detail in their reply.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Screenshot.png

Thank you my friend for your detailed answer 😊
I bought it for 329 dollars and the seller changed the price  to 519 dollars after canceling my order.
I didn't use Paypal because of the commission it takes for the purchase but, I regret it.
But the currency difference is usually a little something 1 or 3 dollars not 17 dollars.
I will contact them on Facebook and hope to find a solution.
God bless you my freind

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes my freind. Thnk you so much

I will contact them on Facebook and hope to find a solution.
God you bless  my freind 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@rocdjeb_0 , you're welcome and I'm glad I could help.

You made the choice not to use PayPal, so that you could save a little on the conversion rate. This is the risk you took, when you made that choice. You saved a little in the beginning, and now you're losing a little. 

You didn't complain all the other times you made that choice, and saved money by it, did you? I'll bet if you add up how much you saved on your other purchases, it would more than cover the $17 you lost this time. eBay for Business on Facebook is not going to be able to "find a solution" for this. It was your choice, you have to accept the consequences.

I made the same choice recently, and was interested to see the result. I bought some bookshelves for my place in Canada, on a Canadian website. I had it set so that it would charge my US card in US$, but for one reason or another, this purchase was placed in CA$ instead. The website was going to charge me US$345 for the shelves. However, when I paid in CA$, and my credit card did the conversion, I ended up paying only US$337.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You said, "I bought it for 329 dollars and the seller changed the price to 519 dollars after canceling my order."  This seems shady.  This seems like the seller still has the item, just wanted more money or made a mistake in the 1st listing.  Maybe ebay should have looked into it? 

As for you getting refunded a different amount on a cancelled (by the seller) order, sellers pay an international fee for the currency exchange, do buyers as well?  Since it was a cancelled (by the seller) sale, not a return, it seems very unfair for you to be penalized.  Again, ebay customer service should have been consulted, imo.  Personally, I would have contacted my credit card company's customer service if the seller or ebay refused assistance.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Todays exchange shows > 329.00USD  =  290.90EU and can change daily -

as lace said, you received what you paid in USD which converted to 292.91 euros on the day of refund.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 10
latest reply