cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't want eBay to message customer for money.. how to convey that?

A customer purchased an item (not paid) and is waiting for one I have on auction so I can combine shipping etc. Problem is she purchased one on the 10th the other doesn't go off until the 16th of the month. I've agreed to wait for payment so shipping can be combined. I'm worried about eBay asking her for payment and wondering if there's a way I can convey to them that she's withholding the money with my permission?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Don't want eBay to message customer for money.. how to convey that?

Ebay automatically closes transactions within 36 days when the buyer has not paid the item. They will not do anything before then and there will be no negative marks if the item is paid for before the 36 day timeframe

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136#:~:text=Sellers%20don%....

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I've had similar problems. You can't convey much to Ebay about arrangements with buyers. It's even worse when you sell something and you see that Ebay has sent a reminder to buyer to pay on the same day of sale before you even get a chance to send the invoice. Must make you, the seller, look awfully pushy.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I think you need to convey to the buyer that they can just ignore ebays messages for payments

you cant make ebay not send pyament reminders

some buyers are just timid and think that ebay is going to do something if they do not pay

its one of the reasons I  have never had UPI set up automatically

I have way too  many repeat buyers who combine auctions to let ebay screw it up wth automatic UPI

I have never had that option turned on

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@c6starz wrote:

I'm worried about eBay asking her for payment and wondering if there's a way I can convey to them that she's withholding the money with my permission?

As noted above, you pretty much have to explain to her that she will get payment notices from eBay, but that she's free to ignore them since the two of you have an understanding about a later payment.

The only thing I need to add here is that if you do have the automatic Unpaid Item cancellation process set up, you will need to add her ID to the exclusion list for it, so that she doesn't get accidentally cancelled after Day 4. That list can be found here: 

https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase (scroll down the page)

Note that that is not the Buyer Requirements Exclusion List (this page), which lets a buyer bypass your Seller Requirements, a whole different area.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply