cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeback--Just when I thought I have seen it all on eBay

So I posted several months ago about a substantial chargeback I had received. I have also had 7 chargebacks with MP in about 10 months, while I had maybe 5-6 PP disputes in 20 years.

But this one for me takes the cake.

A guy emails me his intent to return after 30 days, rather than risk a chargeback I tell him to open a return.

It takes him 30 more days to actually open a return, he asked me how and he apparently called overseas CSR and they somehow enable him to after like 2 months. He returns a different item and I deduct the 50%, my only real option these days and move on.  

Then 2 weeks ago he opens a chargeback, item not as described?? I speak to MP, how is this possible? He returned the item and the return is closed? Oh, its possible. The amount  he is requesting does not in any way match the transaction, very bazaar.  I submit info and last week I get an email that I won the dispute, no further action needed, sounds good.

Today I receive and email that the chargeback has been reopened!!! The buyer now states that he did not receive a refund and I must respond by the 5th. I call today and CSR is speechless, she is like I have never seen this before, I just vented to her and move on. I can not believe the things that are going on with MP's, it's at the point I just have to laugh.  

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I SO agree, but there's $$ in this problem for 'Bay.  That's why the 'dragging feet'.  Not ABOUT to change.  Making $ is important, so most have adjusted and accepting and just keep going.  The OP has well over 6,000 listings, so he's not laughing too hard.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Yeah, he’s a great seller from what I see with fabulous feedback. He;s definately one of those sellers that ebay should decide they want to honor and keep.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Ok, so when PP was the processor they had either or, You open a claim with ebay, or PP, NOT BOTH. If one did not work, you could not open a claim in PP. however. I remember cases I had where, YES , these folks did go back to good ole PP and opened a CC dispute. Only there, they had an extremely comprehensive rebuttal system, or they just flat out closed the case if it was something like an unrecognizable charge or something far less deadly than a SNAD. Is this what you are talking about?

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

What money are you talking about here. You loose a good seller, and get bad press about how you do not handle chargebacks well and then you loose potential sellers who might want to sell their 10 grand watch on here but then decide Nope not gonna do that, too risky. Loss of final value fees to people who use their credit cards as weapons of destruction should not be here. Not saying that on the flip side there are extremely good reasons why people should file chargebacks when they have been taken here becuase the opposite happens with attracting buyers. The whole CC chargeback stuff is just out of control and the people that we should be blaming are the CC companies . They have had these problems with Online type sales for a long time and they have not changed the way they deal with these.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

You are confusing a dispute from a chargeback. These terms are not interchangeable. You could not start a DISPUTE on Ebay and PP at the same time. A chargeback is not in the category of a dispute. This happens regardless of the chosen Dispute method. So. It seems that that is what happened.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Ok, so when PP was the processor they had either or, You open a claim with ebay, or PP, NOT BOTH. If one did not work, you could not open a claim in PP. however. I remember cases I had where, YES , these folks did go back to good ole PP and opened a CC dispute. Only there, they had an extremely comprehensive rebuttal system, or they just flat out closed the case if it was something like an unrecognizable charge or something far less deadly than a SNAD. Is this what you are talking about?

That they could not do now or then.  A CC dispute can ONLY be opened through the CC.  They HAVE TO go directly to their CCC and file the claim.  It can not be done through PP.  Only PP claims can be opened in PP.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

You are confusing a dispute from a chargeback. These terms are not interchangeable. You could not start a DISPUTE on Ebay and PP at the same time. A chargeback is not in the category of a dispute. This happens regardless of the chosen Dispute method. So. It seems that that is what happened.

No I'm not.  I'm fully aware of what a Chargeback is and the ONLY way a chargeback can be opened is for the buyer to go to their CCC and open the claim.

Ebay has rules as we all can easily agree.  They have lots of them.  For both Buyers and Sellers.  For buyers if they open a request for return in Ebay and that request gets closed out for whatever reason the request was closed out.  It is against the rules of Ebay for buyers to open another request for return via the Ebay site, which is why they are blocked from doing so, but they are also NOT covered under the MBG if they open a Chargeback with their CCC either.  

Certainly Ebay can't control it if a buyer decides they want to open a Chargeback if they don't like the outcome of their Ebay request.  But Ebay has rules and when the buyer is knowingly breaking one of those rules such as they are if they do something like this.  The seller just should not be part of it.  The Chargeback should now become between the buyer and Ebay as the seller is protected because the buyer breached the rules.

Loss of coverage

Even if a transaction is eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee, buyers can lose protection if they open duplicate claims using other resolution methods, or engage in fraudulent or abusive buying behavior.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

OK, so this persons CC was not linked with PP or MP? And does that even matter?

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Really confusing here with how the policy is written. Duplicate claims, what exactly does that mean here. Ebay blue please explain. Calling Tyler and the other folks.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

OK, so this persons CC was not linked with PP or MP? And does that even matter?

Yes it does.  Certainly you can dismiss the rules on Ebay if you are so inclined.  But that isn't something I would do.  You have every right to just accept the Chargeback and approve a refund if that is your choice.  For me, that is not one I would ever make in a situation like this, but that is just me.  I like my money and I'm not willingly going to give it to any other member that is not acting in good faith and is clearly breaching the rules.

Nor am I one to sit back while Ebay breaches one of their own rules.  But we each have to make the decision that is right for ourselves.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Really confusing here with how the policy is written. Duplicate claims, what exactly does that mean here. Ebay blue please explain. Calling Tyler and the other folks.

Buyers can't open a second return request on Ebay.  That the system just doesn't allow.  They can appeal the first one they filed, but they can't open a second one on the same transaction.  Same with an INR if that is a type they have opened and it was closed for any reason.

Those are automatic blocks because it is against the Ebay rules.  They can't automatically prevent a buyer from opening a Chargeback.  That is simply not within their powers.  But this is a duplicate claim in an effort to get around the loss on a return request filed in Ebay.  

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

This has been a real problem for some sellers, especially recently.  Where they are in MP and MP is NOT abiding by the published rules of Ebay.  This bothers me a great deal as I see more and more of these posts.

Your buyer filed the claim, scammed you the first time around, which Ebay wouldn't have gotten involved with anyway.  You did the best you could with the tools available to you and moved on.

Then your buyer BREACHED Ebay rules by trying to double dip.  They didn't like the outcome of the dispute they filed in Ebay so they now filed with their CC to try and get more money.  For that reason and that reason ALONE you should win under SELLER PROTECTION.  The buyer is the one breaking the rules here.  They did NOT appeal the original claim in Ebay, they went to their CC and filed.  That was not a mistake, that was an on purpose as it is getting to be a VERY EASY way in MP to take advantage of a seller.

And sellers aren't defending themselves properly when this happens.  The FIRST line of defense should be the BUYER is BREAKING the rules.

Lets see if we can get you some help and some better clarification of why this is happening more and more since MP is now doing chargebacks.

tyler@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

@esg-enterprises Chargebacks are something we can't control in any way. We can monitor how many times a buyer goes that route and take action from there, but we can't prevent anything.

The best thing you can do like @mam98031 mentioned is make sure you're representing yourself as much as possible. I've said this in a few other posts too but you're only allowed to provide one document. If you can get all your facts on a word document you can upload that one page to get them as much info as possible. 

Please know if we see abusive behavior that we track it and take appropriate action always, thanks! 

jasmen@ebay 

I think part of what I said was overlooked.  It should not be up to the seller to catch anything on a Chargeback that a buyer files that is in BREACH of the Ebay rules.  Ebay should let the seller what is going on after all it is their customer and their transaction, but Ebay should shield the seller, the chargeback should NOT count against the seller, the seller should not be in ANY risk of loosing any money and Ebay should handle this directly with the Buyer and their CCC because the Buyer is breaching the RULES of Ebay.

The seller should NOT be made to present a defense on this at all.  Ebay is fully aware or should be that the buyer is in breach!!!

How is it it the seller's transaction?   The seller has zero relationship with the Merchant Account (held by eBay) that has the payment details, Adyen (eBay's Payment Processor).   Not a single step of the Credit Card payment is in actual control of the seller. 

eBay processes the transaction on the seller's item that sold on their venue and they own every aspect of the credit card process which is why they charge the seller a fee for that service.

I am not being argumentative or disrespectful here....its a basic question....so no need to report it OK.   

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Ok. Thanks so much.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

This has been a real problem for some sellers, especially recently.  Where they are in MP and MP is NOT abiding by the published rules of Ebay.  This bothers me a great deal as I see more and more of these posts.

Your buyer filed the claim, scammed you the first time around, which Ebay wouldn't have gotten involved with anyway.  You did the best you could with the tools available to you and moved on.

Then your buyer BREACHED Ebay rules by trying to double dip.  They didn't like the outcome of the dispute they filed in Ebay so they now filed with their CC to try and get more money.  For that reason and that reason ALONE you should win under SELLER PROTECTION.  The buyer is the one breaking the rules here.  They did NOT appeal the original claim in Ebay, they went to their CC and filed.  That was not a mistake, that was an on purpose as it is getting to be a VERY EASY way in MP to take advantage of a seller.

And sellers aren't defending themselves properly when this happens.  The FIRST line of defense should be the BUYER is BREAKING the rules.

Lets see if we can get you some help and some better clarification of why this is happening more and more since MP is now doing chargebacks.

tyler@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

@esg-enterprises Chargebacks are something we can't control in any way. We can monitor how many times a buyer goes that route and take action from there, but we can't prevent anything.

The best thing you can do like @mam98031 mentioned is make sure you're representing yourself as much as possible. I've said this in a few other posts too but you're only allowed to provide one document. If you can get all your facts on a word document you can upload that one page to get them as much info as possible. 

Please know if we see abusive behavior that we track it and take appropriate action always, thanks! 

jasmen@ebay 

I think part of what I said was overlooked.  It should not be up to the seller to catch anything on a Chargeback that a buyer files that is in BREACH of the Ebay rules.  Ebay should let the seller what is going on after all it is their customer and their transaction, but Ebay should shield the seller, the chargeback should NOT count against the seller, the seller should not be in ANY risk of loosing any money and Ebay should handle this directly with the Buyer and their CCC because the Buyer is breaching the RULES of Ebay.

The seller should NOT be made to present a defense on this at all.  Ebay is fully aware or should be that the buyer is in breach!!!

How is it it the seller's transaction?   The seller has zero relationship with the Merchant Account (held by eBay) that has the payment details, Adyen (eBay's Payment Processor).   Not a single step of the Credit Card payment is in actual control of the seller. 

eBay processes the transaction on the seller's item that sold on their venue and they own every aspect of the credit card process which is why they charge the seller a fee for that service.

I am not being argumentative or disrespectful here....its a basic question....so no need to report it OK.   

What?  Why would it be handled differently through MP than it was through PP?  They are both the money processor.  It may be a basic question and this is the answer.  Chargebacks are handled by the money processor that processed the payment, period.  Just as when PP was are money processor, they got notification of the Chargeback from the CCC and then they notified the seller of the Chargeback for more information and that the Chargeback exists.  Why you think it is different for MP I do not know.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Ok. Thanks so much.

It was the same as when PP handled the Chargebacks.  This same thing would happen from time to time.  I had one when in PP and I won that chargeback.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply