cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Default Payment

Anyone know how to remove the automatic default payment from their credit card information? I was making an offer on an item and it would not let me put in the offer unless I agreed to this. Stupid me clicked on it thinking I could remove it later but it won't let me. I've deleted my credit card information and when I put it back the default is still attached to my credit card. It's so unnerving to see a payment just to through automatically like that. It's not allowing me to control when/if I will pay. I often chat with sellers and we make agreements to payments/discounts etc. but my payment went right through without my permission but I guess it's my fault because I really did give permission. eBay did not even give an option to say "no" to the default automatic payment. I did not realize what I got myself into. Ugh! I did a Live Chat with eBay but I got ZERO help. You would think because they pretty much trapped me into this method of payment that they could easily reverse it but no such luck. Googling info but none of the suggestions work. HELP PLEASE!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Googling might not work, but here's a link that explains what you did. >> Making a Best Offer | eBay

The 'providing a payment method' was in beta testing for some, but now might be site-wide. Your situation sounds much different, but it was created to keep sellers from having non-paying buyers after offers had been accepted. (Sort of like having the Immediate Payment Required on BIN listings.) Upward and onward and all...

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Due to a rash of non paying bidders the way I understand this, it is a test program.  There was a lengthy thread about this, and I believe the majority of sellers felt it was a good idea. When you make an offer, it is a commitment to buy the item. No discussion..it is yours and you need to pay. You said, if I understand correctly, you wanted time to think about it or if you want to pay for it.  It doesn’t work that way.

I have had a few people that made offers, and didn’t pay. If I am taking something out of my inventory frankly I don’t want to wait “awhile they think about it”

Not to sound harsh, but that is there for a reason. Sorry you found out the hard way. 

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Thank you for your help. I will click and read the link  you sent to me. I'm grateful for any help. Thank you again.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Thank you. I guess I worded that part wrong about me thinking about it. My fault. I ALWAYS pay IMMEDIATELY after a purchase. ALWAYS. I guess I was just thinking about this one seller and how we discuss things first before I make payment because this seller will adjust the shipping first and then I will make payment. So I was shocked at how my payment went through automatically. Sorry, I'm old and still do things the old-fashioned way. Automation is not for me. I am an honest and good buyer. I'm sorry to have worded my request for help by using wrong words. I guess I'm still so upset and more scared than anything. I do understand that some buyers do not pay and that's awful. Thank you again for your help.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

For sure everything can be confusing. Best wishes. No one is old..it is just a number. 

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Thank you for being so gracious. 

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

@newhope3 

I'd like to offer a suggestion... next time message the seller. If the seller makes you an offer through a reply message, I don't think you'll experience this new process. Workarounds R Us and all that. Hang in there!

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Grumble grumble grumble.

I knew buyers would hate this.

Just call me Cassandra.

I am old and grumpy.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Not really grumbling.  Would just like a choice and control over my own credit card.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

I do believe that the poster was referring to themselves 🙂  They do not like the pre-authorize

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

If you want to negotiate, combine, whatever..................... you can contact the sell "before" doing an "offer".

If open to such with you they can "exempt" you from the "pre-authorize" policy. Some sellers have already "unchecked" that requirement. You may not be presented with it during every offer.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Thank you for the suggestion.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Grumble grumble grumble.

I knew buyers would hate this.

Just call me Cassandra.

I am old and grumpy.

@reallynicestamps 

Call me Helen (Keller), because I never saw it coming. I've only got a handful (15%'ish) listed w/OBO, as with some listings, I like to see 'the two in the bush'... might as well change them to BINs with IPR.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

I don't like it.  It appears that the authorization extends beyond the first offer and remains active for any future offers.  Before, if someone hacked my ebay account, they would not be able to make purchases with my funds.  Now, it would be automatic.  

Message 15 of 37
latest reply