cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto pay when making an offer

I made an offer on an item a couple of days ago. Before it would finish up, it asked me to provide a payment method-which is Paypal. It did not ask what account from paypal I wanted to pay from. I always have the choice when I make my payment. So, the seller accepted my offer and I got no alert that it had charged my account automatically-which pulled from my checking account. No big deal except I wanted to use a credit card. My question is, from now on, when I make an offer on other items, am I locked in to this form of payment or do I get to choose? When did this start? I probably won't be making any more offers because of this.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dlites wrote:

I made an offer on an item a couple of days ago. Before it would finish up, it asked me to provide a payment method-which is Paypal. It did not ask what account from paypal I wanted to pay from. I always have the choice when I make my payment. So, the seller accepted my offer and I got no alert that it had charged my account automatically-which pulled from my checking account. No big deal except I wanted to use a credit card. My question is, from now on, when I make an offer on other items, am I locked in to this form of payment or do I get to choose? When did this start? I probably won't be making any more offers because of this.

@dlites 

In PayPal you "should" be able to set a default payment method. Probably not helpful if your method changes from transaction to transaction. In theory you could update each time prior to making a purchase. A bit of a nuisance but probably what we are stuck with.

-Lotz

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think its up to the seller. The seller can require payment upon offer accepted. Why is that such a big deal for you? When ebay ask what form of payment now you now to pick what card you want before you make the offer. To many buyer making offers and not following thru with payment. That is my thought as to why they do it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@dlites wrote:

@dlites 

In PayPal you "should" be able to set a default payment method. Probably not helpful if your method changes from transaction to transaction. In theory you could update each time prior to making a purchase. A bit of a nuisance but probably what we are stuck with.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

My default payment in paypal is a particular credit card. Instead it used my checking account. I do not think it asked me to choose. I will take note if I ever decide to make offers again. I don't mind doing auto pay. I always pay for my items on offers I make. I guess the non payers make it hard for the honest ones.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@dlites wrote:

My default payment in paypal is a particular credit card. Instead it used my checking account. I do not think it asked me to choose. I will take note if I ever decide to make offers again. I don't mind doing auto pay. I always pay for my items on offers I make. I guess the non payers make it hard for the honest ones.

@dlites 

In practice the system should give YOU the option to choose a payment method. For many it can be a 1 or the other. I have never been a fan of automatic defaults. I think another part of this that is directly connected happens when buyers would like to combine on purchases for better shipping total. The choice to message a buyer and request a revised invoice is NOT always made available. (APP vs PC scenarios.) 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

yes that happen to me to well the seller has to turn that off not the buyer i was told ebay put that in for seller.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

To ebay the 3 day law! If you receive a notification from eBay that the buyer has requested to cancel the order, you'll have 3 days to accept or decline the request. If you don't respond within the 3 calendar days, we'll close the buyer's cancellation  

IT EBAY RULES!!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yeah true good point here s

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Buyer satisfaction is not a priority for feeBay.  Changing paypal default is a crummy option.

And this is another annoying change that puts buyer's money pot at risk.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply