cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Tatting or Crochet??

44D8780A-0DF8-491E-9093-86D1360A755F.jpeg

26A472B2-F9BC-4E99-A588-A4EE23181FDD.jpeg

This beauty was discovered in an elderly  relative’s estate inventory. It looks like a form of tatting to me, not your average crochet piece. I’m assuming it dates anywhere from 1920s to 1950s but that is just a guess. Anyone able to give me any information as to the technique used and a ballpark age?

00DFC1C0-1D09-4A84-9C9C-02457EBE1933.jpeg

It truly is a spectacular piece.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vintage Tatting or Crochet??

@sburt, thanks for posting the detailed pictures.

Based on the new pictures, this looks like crochet to me. Specifically, the square network in the middle appears to be made with chain stitch, which is used in crochet. As far as I know, you can't do chain stitch with tatting. I can't think how this square network could be made with tatting.

It's definitely not granny square crochet, obviously. Much more elaborate than that. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes, it is tatted!   It surely was a labor of love by somebody!

How large is it?  Is the lower left corner done in black thread?  

I don't know for sure what technique was used for the center of the squares, the parts that look looped or fluffy.   Maybe some kind of pompoms that have flattened over the years?  

As for its age, I'm not much of an expert there.   But tatting books from the 30s and 40s seemed to focus more on doilies, handkerchief edges, even collars and cuffs.   

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Wonderful! Yes, the outer order is black. It measures about 58x62”, if recall. I’ve attached a couple close-up shots. Thank you so much for responding.

BF497E4E-6F75-4EE1-9FC9-CF4DED88A431.jpeg

FCDCD4C2-B3E4-449F-A018-67B245DDC30B.jpeg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@sburt, thanks for posting the detailed pictures.

Based on the new pictures, this looks like crochet to me. Specifically, the square network in the middle appears to be made with chain stitch, which is used in crochet. As far as I know, you can't do chain stitch with tatting. I can't think how this square network could be made with tatting.

It's definitely not granny square crochet, obviously. Much more elaborate than that. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much taking the time to reply!!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

TO me it definitely looks like tatting. Check some photos online for tatting and crochet and you should see the difference.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I would use both key words in the title, and then disclose in the listing that you are not sure what method it is.  Show upclose photos.  The buyers who are looking for this type of thing will know exactly what it is, or isn't. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This question was posted 3 months ago, and the crocheted afghan was sold almost a month ago.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply