cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE 16mm COLLECTORS?

Sales on 16mm have slowed down a bit on eBay, so where are all the 16mm collectors?
Seeking 16mm: That's Entretainment I and II, concert films, music clips, optical prints of Scopitones and other reels.
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Hi-

I'm with a group called Kinonik (www.kinonik.org). We started with a donation of about 250 16mm films from my 79 year olde film professor, and just got another donation of some good film noir from a college library that is deaccessioning their collection.

We are both an archive and we show films (as films) to an audience that ranges - literally - from 8 to 80 years old. We recently played The General to an audience and a 10 year old girl said it was the best film she had ever seen!

Anyway - if you know of anyone who would like to donate 16mm films to a non-profit dedicated to preserving and showing film we are a 501c3 organization.

Any questions, be in touch.

Andrew Graham 

Kinonik

Portland, Maine

Message 61 of 75
latest reply

Still have any of this collection left? Would you be interested in donating some of it to Kinonik (www.kinonik.org) in exchange for a tax deduction? We are a 501c3 non-profit archiving and showing auteur cinema and classic film.
Message 62 of 75
latest reply

Almost any 16mm short subject on eBay can be found on Youtube in HD and when projected on a good digital projector will look superior to most film projectors. The films can be captured for free and stored on your PC or transferred to a disc.

Message 63 of 75
latest reply

Although I do understand what you are saying... even as good as digital projection can be... comparing that to film it is like apples and oranges... like comparing a watercolor painting to an oil painting... both are nice... but both have very aesthetic feels to them... and in my opinion... film will always have that more superior look with the saturated colors and the grain that film has... I love my digital projector... but when it comes to wow moments... my 16mm reigns supreme... just sayin'

Message 64 of 75
latest reply

Hello I’m stephan . I don’t know who to ask anymore no one knows anything about it. I have a 1932  Goldberg  Brothers movie reel with the movie the music box still on . It’s 16mm full 30min movie 

Message 65 of 75
latest reply

Not even CLOSE! I am an avid fan of 16mm, and have two WORKING projectors: a Bell and Howell from the '60s, and an Eiki from the late '70s.
My trouble is finding decent films that do not cost an arm and a leg!
Message 66 of 75
latest reply

We have about 75 reels trying to get rid off
Message 67 of 75
latest reply

What kind of films are they? We're building an archive and are just starting.

Message 68 of 75
latest reply

I'm still here in Ohio, but as I read a way back post, thgis generation is fading away. My wife says that when I die - it ALL goes in the garbage! So - I am trying  to distribute the good prints out to whoever is left. There was another comment about price. My average is only $20.  I'm not trying to make a buck here, just feel that my time spend making the listing is compensated. It akle those 2K single frame images, to give buyers the most accurate representation. I OCR the inserts, or look on the web for anything like a synopsis. It's not a matter of lazy for film sellers (stated previously). It's a matter of how daunting the work can be .

I make about $20/ hour for my work. But then you have to yank out all of E-bay's FEES - YES it costs me 28% to sell here. 28 G.D.% !  Therefore, I average $14/show - OH, back out another $1 to get to and from the P.O.

Another loss is from the stock itself. I am averaging 20% of the collection has turned or shrunk beyond reasonable use. I don't mind faded, but some have gone so far as to barely have a soundtrack left. So I try to sell them at 99cents, and as expected no takers. So my option is to unspool them and chuck in the trash! Maybe I can sell of the reels and cans? Instead of trashiing them too!

So as one collector to another  - take a trip over to my store and see what is available. New stuff listed Fridays.

Look up my store  -  Before it all ends up scrap!!

itsafarmthriftstore. **bleep** E-bay won't even let you like internally. PATHETIC SENSORSHIP!

P.S. Due to the 28% issue - buyers will be notiofied separately of an upcoming solution. - Dave

Message 69 of 75
latest reply

hey i have been collctin from 1978 but just old b westerns will buy them paul thomas at pault5191@gmail.com
Message 70 of 75
latest reply

Hi daviesfan! My name is Darryl Dixon and I would like to know if you knew where I could get a 16mm copy of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Please get back to me and let me know. Thank you so much!
Message 71 of 75
latest reply

Hi moviemaster! My name is Darryl Dixon and I would like to know if you knew where I could get a 16mm copy of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Please get back to me and let me know. Thank you so much!
Message 72 of 75
latest reply

Hi buchmov_aqvss! My name is Darryl Dixon and I would like to know if you knew where I could get a 16mm copy of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Please get back to me and let me know. You can contact me at darrylplayssax@gmail.com. Thank you so much!
Message 73 of 75
latest reply

Hi daviesfan!My name is Darryl Dixon and I would like to know if you knew where I could get a 16mm copy of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Please get back to me and let me know. You can contact me at darrylplayssax@gmail.com. Thank you so much!
Message 74 of 75
latest reply

Hi moviemaster! My name is Darryl Dixon and I would like to know if you knew where I could get a 16mm copy of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Please get back to me and let me know. You can contact me at darrylplayssax@gmail.com. Thank you so much!
Message 75 of 75
latest reply