cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

company with bad policys

bought a starter for my ford fairlane new with a one year warranty also bought a extented warranty from assurance for a year i asked will this starter fit with headers they said most likely con vinent they lost the emai text on that conversation now ebay assurance and the seller will not take it back last starter i bought difert brand 278.00 didnt fit either ebay kept replying work it out with the seller 5 times their reply so ebay does not protect the little guy only big companys im publishing this in our local conn post and i have printed documents so they can take me to court amazon is looking better to me every day

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

company with bad policys

@Anonymous wrote:

OP stated the starters wouldn't fit. I assumed that it was a fitment issue.

The way I read it is the replacement starters didn't fit and I was speaking in general about starters and headers not fitting correctly. But heat issues is a big problem . My 35 Ford with the 5.0L engine has headers and there is all sorts of clearance for the starter, I've taken it out without issues. Just don't remember if it is stock or special one.

Might of been easier to replace the headers in this case. wondering why the starter was replaced in the first place.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

@fowler08562499 wrote:

lawsuit is an option these morons need a day and education in court and im going to do it being retired the think they will take advantage of me im proceeding 

A lawsuit? Come on, most ridiculus thing you've stated so far. The seller will just state you should of done your homework and measured to ensure the starter fit.

Why did you replace the first starter? I've been building classic cars and hot rods for over 40 years, when you start replacing stock parts with aftermarket parts, you best make sure things will work.

You remind me of my brother in law, has a 35 yearcollection of Harley parts that didn't work for him. He sees something he likes, buys it, it doesn't fit or he doesn't like it and then it goes on the shelf with the others. He also has a '54 Mercury, he's acquired 3 sets of rear parallel leaf springs for it, because he didn't do his homework and blames the sellers.

Do your homework and save yourself a lot of grief. Lawsuit? I'd put money on you losing.

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

Street rods such as your '35 tend to use "shorty" or block hugger headers. These tend to offer very good starter to header clearance.  And even though the OP didn't state which headers he is using, I bet they are full length, high performance headers as that is what most guys run in a slab side, late model like a Fairlane.

These tend to sweep back and often wish to occupy the very same space as your starter or steering box.

For the listening audience....the Fairlane with the FE series 390 for example can be a real bear. Some brands/designs of headers require that the passenger side be installed on the motor and then the motor installed into the car. Once installed the headers cannot be removed without removing the motor again. Some require that the driver's side header be laid into place next to the frame rail and once the motor is installed the header is positioned into place and bolted up. Some brands offer a two-piece driver's side header that allows the driver's side to be installed with the motor in place. Regardless, once the pipes are all bolted up, removing and replacing the starter can be very difficult. It's never really cheap or easy to be coolgrinning

As for why the original starter was removed...well jr, I bet it just died of old age.

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

....if it were me....

Fender well headers.

All kinds of room for starters and (most) steering...

No overheating of starter.

Awesome, Ed Roth cartoon looks....

Only question is.....

Do you dive right in and go with a straight front axle and a one piece 'glass front end?.....000162fairlane.jpg

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Geez, y'all made me go back and read the OP. How much for how many starters? Court? Over car parts as described? Oh yeah, the courts like to be clogged up with that stuff.

I had a guy, bought the wrong $40 (forty) part from me. AIC valve for a Civic. It holds in place with four screws. Guy wanted his money back plus his mechanics wages. It holds in place with four screws.

Then the guy claims he has contacted THE eBay Legal Dept. Wants my lawyer to call his. Wants to sue me. I am in a different country.

Kids and their ricers, swapping parts, breaking things, have to buy the original parts back.

Why was the starter taken off? Simple, the headers would not go on with the starter in place. 

Buying a different starter is not going to change the fact that the header is where the starter needs to be.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Also would of been nice to known the year, engine and a few other particulars about his Fairlane. Had several (65 & 67) of them with FE engines and other Failanes with Y-blocks and SBFs.

The only cars I had to uninstall headers to remove the starters were my 61 Impala and 72 Nova.

I did take a quick look at the 35, had to drop the exhaust from the header to get the starter out. The starter is stock Ford.

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Since any suit would have to be filed in the jurisdiction where the sale tool place (as in their stomping grounds) it seems to me that you better get packed and be prepared for a road trip..............

Anyone who messes with a non-stock car or motorcycle and attempts to do anything to it knows that there is ALWAYS something that won't fit or needs to be altered. If someone doesn't know this then they're not that mechanically inclined.

I wish I had a dollar for every curse word I've used  while trying to make something fit; although suing to get those dollars never crossed my mind.

Some years ago I spent almost 6 months of spare time trying to wrangle a Ford 5.0 into a Ford product that was never offered with anything other than a 2.3. Cursing, bleeding knuckles, elevated blood pressure, and frustration out the wazoo. One thing after the other after the other after.....

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

I helped a friend of mine put a 302 in a Ford f-150 with headers on it and don't remember having any such issue. I'm thinking that this is more of a header issue than a starter issue.  I'd bet I would have figured that out on the first starter.

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Whom did you take to court, Rip?
Message 24 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

I've never taken anyone to court although I have threatened several people with it (papers in hand...) and their attitude changed quickly.

I HAVE been to court a few times as an expert witness for several dealers who were being sued by a couple of yo-yos. The yo-yos lost each time simply because they had no idea what they were talking about. One of the cases was a bit dicey because I was having to explain automatic transaxle theory to a judge who had no idea how to even change the oil in his own car. Won anyway....

The Ford 5.0 wresting match involved putting that engine into a Merkur (German built Ford) XR4ti.

The very stubby nose and steering shaft (along with no room for a radiator) caused all kinds of grief.

There was barely enough room in there for the 2.3 4-banger; the only factory option available.

Once done it was a hoot to drive. Dual 4s, headers, Lincoln AOD (another story there...) and the throaty dual exhaust got it a lot of looks along with the double rear wing.

And it got 21 MPG at a highway cruise. Go figure. My original guesstimate was about 10 if I was lucky.

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

yea well im not a yo yo 

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fowler08562499

Well...you seem to feel very passionate about it.

If you feel that you need your day in court, I say go for it.

It's one of the basic rights that we all have (and should consider ourselves lucky to have BTW).

We don't know the details, you do.

We don't know how the headers or starters were billed as to fitment, you do.

If someone isn't holding up to their word, you know.

It's easy for us to armchair from the keyboard and scoff "make it fit".

But I suspect some promises were made somewhere by someone that weren't kept that are pushing you to court.

It's small claims.

They've seen it all I bet so your case isn't anything different.

Small Claims Judges tend to be a little more grounded as well.

Getting to the bottom of the little things is just as important as the big cases to most of those Judges.

Take your starters with you...it could be short and sweet.

"Here's your starter back"

"Here's your cash back..."

"Next case!"

If some one flat out stated "These headers and that starter are for '66 Fairlanes"

And then they don't fit....

And you can't use them....

As mentioned...there is travel and costs to consider.

Possible to get those costs back though if you win...

Hmmmm....

I think I would actually like to be a fly on the wall on that one.....

Wish I was at the car so I could see what's up....

Sure you can't move some tubes around to get the clearance you need?

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

I'm not saying that you are a yo-yo; only that I've been to court a few times as a witness against people who WERE yo-yos.

Your only option is to sue them in small claims. This means that you will have to file a claim on their turf; not yours. It will not be cost effective BUT, I've done some things that were not cost effective. It was the sheer principle of it all. Yes I will shoot myself in the left foot to spite the right foot.

Many judges are also prejudiced or downright stupid. They may look at it as a case of Plaintiff A from who knows where has a suit against Defendant B: a good old local boy. They may decide a case strictly on your address.

I went into traffic court here about 10 years ago over a failure to yield ticket. This lasted 45 minutes. It was stunning to me that the traffic court judge was absolutely clueless in knowing the law. The court clerk sitting right behind her had to constantly provide info to the  judge and correct her comments.

At the end of the 45 minutes the judge was sitting there totally confused and just placed a deferment on the entire thing with the stipulation that no more tickets in the next year would void the ticket.

She simply had no idea how to proceed. She still sits on the bench and draws a full paycheck.

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

I am starting to think the problem is not the starter, the problem is the headers.

Thread, somewhere, guy was looking for headers for a 1962 Grand Prix. No such thing. Guy was getting solid, knowledgeable advice like: "Get some for a Parisienne".

Bought the headers from a reliable seller? Buy the correct starter from them, as well. 

Chasing yourself all around the garage, and the internet, for something that appears to not even exist?

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

I agree with you mr.elmwood. Headers on anything can open up a huge can of worms.

Many years ago a good friend of mine called and asked if I would install a set of headers on his second car. I gave him a cheap price over the phone and off I go that weekend.

I spent the entire weekend installing those LONG tube headers on a '68 Camaro with a 396 in it. I got them in (finally) but felt like I was on the edge of a heart attack most of the time from being so wound up and POed.

Message 30 of 42
latest reply