cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero feedback sellers

I'm looking to buy a big ticket item on Ebay Motors and a lot of the listings I'm watching have sellers with zero feedback and a one-sentence description. What's the worst that could happen if I bid on an item and win? The one I'm most interested in doesn't require a deposit, just full payment in 3 days. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Zero feedback sellers

Vehicle bids are non binding. Either party can walk away. BIdding shows an interest in the car. The seller should sell it if you win. But if he changes his mind or you're just a tire kicker the seller is still charged whether the buyer pays or not so it's probably not a fake listing. 

Just use buyer diligence, pre-purchase inspection, clear title, check his ID to make sure it matches the name on the title. 

Enjoy your new ride!

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/index.html

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Don't  pay until you inspect and test drive. Be wary of getting robbed. Take a bodyguard with you to the meet-up.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@member5150 wrote:

I'm looking to buy a big ticket item on Ebay Motors and a lot of the listings I'm watching have sellers with zero feedback and a one-sentence description. What's the worst that could happen if I bid on an item and win? The one I'm most interested in doesn't require a deposit, just full payment in 3 days. 

I'm betting that all those listings also have the same pictures. 

They're scams. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you were buying a car at a local used car lot, wouldn't you go to the lot and inspect the vehicle first, possibly taking your mechanic with you?

That's what eBay strongly recommends vehicle buyers do on eBay.  

If there is only a one sentence description, and you are not planning an inspection, why would you even consider this car?

Unlike eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers of most items on eBay, there is no such guarantee on cars, except in certain circumstances.

So, if you buy this one-sentence-description car and it's delivered to you, hope you know that, whatever issues you might find, they will be yours to handle.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@member5150 

Are these listings which you actually found on eBay, or are these listings which you found on Craig's List, Facebook, or some other social media site?

If you initially found those car listings somewhere else (and NOT on the eBay site), they are FAKES -- they are scams, and have nothing to do with eBay.

Why would you place a bid on a car, without first examining it?  And are these "sellers" requesting that you pay with gift cards?

Many of us are hearing alarm bells -- why aren't you?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

They don't have the same pictures. The only flags are zero feedback and low effort descriptions.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I would go to the car lot to inspect. Problem is that the listing ends today (I just found it) and the seller hasn't responded to my message requesting to see the vehicle. The vehicle wouldn't be "delivered". I would go inspect it before I paid.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I found the listing by searching Ebay motors. I found the listing within 12 hours of the auction end and haven't been able to contact the seller. The only two alarms are zero feedback and low effort description. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

"The only two alarms are zero feedback and low effort description. "

Those are enough alarms for most people.  

Keep in mind -- if you place a bid and you WIN -- you're committed to purchase.

Since the seller isn't responding to your messages -- don't bid.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Vehicle bids are non binding. Either party can walk away. BIdding shows an interest in the car. The seller should sell it if you win. But if he changes his mind or you're just a tire kicker the seller is still charged whether the buyer pays or not so it's probably not a fake listing. 

Just use buyer diligence, pre-purchase inspection, clear title, check his ID to make sure it matches the name on the title. 

Enjoy your new ride!

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/index.html

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

As I understand it, I can back out of the purchase if the seller neglected to say in the ad that the vehicle won't run or similar. If the vehicle actually existed, was the same one in the pictures, started up and ran, and generally wasn't misrepresented I would definitely go through with the purchase.

Most of the replies here have been assuming that I'm bidding on something that will be shipped to me and I would agree with them if that were the case. But since this is a large item that won't be shipped and payment doesn't go through ebay I think I'm comfortable winning the auction and dealing with it if the seller is fraudulent.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for that answer. My only problem with the buyer diligence is that I found the listing too late to do a pre-purchase inspection.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply