cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if all my bidders are fake? Is Ebay motors just a big scam?

Seems like ebay Motors is just a big scam.  I spent $50 for a listing that got a bunch of fake bids from people who aren't even interested in the car.

I "sold" my car (pickup only in Washington state) to some guy in Miami.  Naturally, he's not responding to emails and I imagine he's not going to pay within the 4 day window.  I suspect all the other bidders are fake as well and have no interest in actually buying the car, because none of them live anywhere near me.

What am I supposed to do now, go through the list of buyers and offer them all second chance offers just for none of them to buy it either?

I asked for a refund of my listing fee, but I understand the policy is that the listing fee is nonrefundable.

Moral of the story is just sell on CL instead, I guess?  Anyone have any great advice?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

This may not be great advice, but it's all I have, so take it for what it's worth.

If you will do some reading about motor vehicle sales on eBay, you will see that they don't work like other transactions here.

For one thing, a bid or win is not binding on either party, so either the seller or the buyer can simply walk away from the deal, no harm, no foul.  

The listing fee is non-refundable because there is no further fee if/when the vehicle is sold.

But please do some reading.  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Why auction? Just do Buy It Now and set up the sale that the buyer must pay immediately for the transaction to be completed. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Use a buy it now with a non-refundable amount to close the sale.  Let them click it all day long.

If you are using the old auction system, you are just wasting a lot of time.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

The rules are somewhat different for motor vehicle sales on eBay.

Don't believe you can set up fixed price, immediate payment required in that category.  

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

This is a motor vehicle sale.  Sales in that category are non-binding on both seller and buyer.

Either can walk away from the deal if they want, no harm, no foul.  

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

First thing you should do is set up in your selling preferences that buyers with more than 2 unpaid strikes in the last 6? months can not bid / buy your items. That alone will help a ton, there are a few other settings that you can use to tweak things more in your favor but that unpaid strike one is the biggest, beyond that you may need some patience and understanding, also as has been pointed out it wouldn't hurt to read the information ebay has on motor sales and auctions in general.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Possible. I don't sell on Motors side. On a side note it's 2023. Never understood why Ebay drags their feet on things that are commonplace on every other platform? Even within their platform albeit a different section. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Perhaps you did not read my previous message.

Motor vehicle sales on eBay are not like sales of any other merchandise.  

Either party in a transaction can walk away from the deal, no harm, no foul.  

Don't believe a potential buyer can even receive an unpaid item strike in this category. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the replies!  I cancelled the sale and sold it on CL instead

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

What things is eBay dragging their feet about?

Just curious.

Since it's eBay's site, seems like they should be able to run it any way they want.

And, again, have always assumed that there is a reason for the rules regarding eBay motor vehicle sales to be somewhat different from other categories.  

eBay, as well as other experienced car buyers and sellers have always STRONGLY recommended that the buyer of a motor vehicle go to the location of the vehicle and inspect it, or, if that cannot be done, that the potential buyer pay a local to do it for them.  

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Most cars sold on ebay are sold to buyers OUTSIDE of a 'pick up area'; but many do it, have it shipped, or fly in-drive home etc. 

As stated by others; start all listings as a 'buy it now' with a $500 (is max allowed) non refundable immediate payment required (as a deposit). State they have 48 hours to contact you and xx days to 'pick up the vehicle. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

eBay allows Buy it now, with or without a reserve,

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the info.  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Not sure that can be done in the Motor Vehicle category for fairly obvious reasons.  

These are CARS.  If you were buying a car, wouldn't you want to maybe inspect it first?

Again, motor vehicle sales on eBay do not work the same as sales in other categories. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply