cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should General Motors GM Be Dissolved?

I am wondering with our world economy if there is any reason for GM to continue.  Years ago, they were the premier auto builder but today, their products are laughable.  

Keep in mind that this is NOT the same company that built your granddaddy's Oldsmobile or Chevy.  That company went BANKRUPT in 2009 and The New GM came into being.  With the old GM, went the toxic polluted superfund sites that are part of their legacy of failure.

For me, the whole ignition switch debacle where they KNEW it was an issue and sat and did nothing does it for me.  

In my lifetime, I've seen the Cadillac brand go from a premier brand to a laughingstock.  I'm wondering what is next to keep that brand alive?  Maybe a nuclear powered vehicle with a Saturn V rocket from the Apollo program?

I say close it up and make it part of Ford and other automakers.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Some of their EV's look promising. And they employ 150,000 people, not to mention all their suppliers and their workers. The more competition there is the better for the consumer.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Do you know how many trucks the sell? More than that junk box Mercedes you have in your avatar. Im not even going to waste my time going any further.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Dear George,

That photo is from probably 20 years ago.  In my experience as a dealer, I would call the GM brands junk boxes but never Mercedes or Volvo.

How many thousands of vehicles did you sell/service in your career?

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

The entire ignition switch situation is enough for me.  Junk cars and a company that needs to be scattered to the winds.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Why would you think that your daddy's Olds or Chevy was better than the cars today?  My dad's 1975 Impala stopped in the middle of a highway.  Some rod that connected to the tranny broke and the rears wheel locked.  Luckily dad was able to cross 2 lanes of traffic before the car was totalled by a driver.   The tranny on his 1979 died after 2 years.   No , no . Today's Chevy is better than the older ones.  I will say that I still prefer a nice shiny chrome bumper over the plastic crap on today's cars that crack easily after 2 years.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I never said that my daddy's Olds or Chevy was better.  You said that.

I'm here to suggest that the company be dissolved.  Nothing but marketing and junk.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Absolutely, a company with $10B in profits should be dissolved.  

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Dissolved by whom?  And who would make that decision?

For what it's worth, GM was #1 in U.S. sales the 3rd quarter of this year.

GM sold more full-size trucks than Ford in 2020 and 2021 and will do so again in 2022.

Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and Yukon XL account for nearly 70% of the full-size SUV market.

Silverado and Sierra sales through 3rd quarter total more than 550,000 units. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

More outdated products....yawn.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@tony1963,

Why are you dredging up a problem that was brought to light in 2014, and resolved in 2017?   If you feel so strongly about GM, don't buy their products. GM declared bankruptcy in 2009 as a direct result of a certain president's (whose name I refuse to write) economic policies concerning the economy.

You will never get those of us who do like their vehicles to agree with you. 

As for "I say close it up and make it part of Ford and other automakers".

How would that work? Who is going to close GM and what would be the reason it would get shut down?  What about the investors, parts suppliers who would have to close down costing their employees jobs and/or money?  Not to mention the other "Non Automotive" support industries that would also be affected.  All of those "George, Barney, Bobs" as you have called those who you seem to consider beneath you, would not be contributing to the economy, causing further damage to this country.  

Yeah, lets roll GM into Ford or other Mfr.'s.. 

Ford has such a stellar reputation.

• 2021-2022 Ford F-150 Recall. ...
  • Ford Recalls 2021-2022 Bronco over Rear view Camera. ...
  • Ford Recalls 2022-2023 Transit. ...
  • Ford Recalls 2022 Maverick over Brake Light. ...
  • Ford Recalls 2022-2023 Bronco Sport and 2022 F-150 over Parking Lights. ...
  • Ford Recalls 2015-2017 Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

Those are just the recalls in the last couple of years. Do you want GM's products built by Ford,  Found On Road Dead too? There are plenty of foreign Mfrs. who have had recalls in the last few years, some of which are life threatening issues. along with Tesla's burning down garages, or Chrysler / Stellantis' record of recalls and reorganization.

I suggest before posting more of your Rants, that you THIMK things through.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I did think it through.  GM needs to be dissolved.  The company that built your grandaddy's 57 Chevy no longer exists.  It went bankrupt after lots of bad decisions and bad products.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I Dare You To Visit Cadillac.Com ... we all know you wont because you seem happy being misinformed.

the new Mercedes are looking like they are built by Hyundai !

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Mercedes and Hyundai have nothing to do with this post.  

Mercedes didn't turn a blind eye to a defective ignition switch like GM did.  Shame on them.

Let the entire organization be scattered to the winds.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

"Mercedes and Hyundai have nothing to do with this post. "

Mercedes does if you are talking about corporate ethics ... how many people died as a result of the

equipment Mercedes built for Hitler and the Nazis ... and your getting worked up about some teenagers with 2 pounds of key chains hanging from the ignition ... please !

Message 15 of 27
latest reply