cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Check Engine Light Immobilize Vehicle?

I say YES.  Let the system recognize the condition and allow the vehicle to be operated up to 300 miles before shutting down.

If you aren't willing to do your part for clean air, stay home.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

@mudshark61369 ,

you read my mind, this whole thread had me humming “Back In The U.S.S.R.”!

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

I am totally against people running these old cars that pollute the environment.  If they have money for beer and cigarettes, let them fix their emissions systems first.

Also, I want to see a retrofit of catalytic converters, evaporative emissions and PCV on older vehicles.  Mandatory.

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

As long as it has ALL of the original emissions equipment installed, including the catalytic converter and air pump, I'm fine.

If not, crush it up.

You can't make it sound as good as it does with a catalytic converter on it.

Have a great day
Message 33 of 42
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I am totally against people running these old cars that pollute the environment.  If they have money for beer and cigarettes, let them fix their emissions systems first.

Also, I want to see a retrofit of catalytic converters, evaporative emissions and PCV on older vehicles.  Mandatory.

And who is going to pay for all that unnecessary junk.

Have a great day
Message 34 of 42
latest reply

You do realize that for $20 anyone driving around with the annoying check engine light on can buy a basic, low-end, automotive OBD2 scanner/code reader and simply turn the annoying MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) off and clear diagnostic trouble codes?

Don't even try arguing that a law should be passed that makes possession of OBD2 scanners by anyone, other than a certified mechanic, a felony.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

Political statements are not allowed on this board.  For that reason, I will report your post and ask that it be removed.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

Political statements are not allowed on this board.  For that reason, I will report your post and ask that it be removed.

@tony1963,

This whole topic is based on politics.  You should self report it, or at least request that it be locked.  After all Fascism isn't popular, except with a few bloviating radicals, who want the government to control everything. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 37 of 42
latest reply

This is about clean air.  If you can't keep it running right and with the right equipment, park it.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

@tony1963,

"This is about clean air. If you can't keep it running right and with the right equipment, park it".

All of my new and classic cars run very well. The classic ones probably better than when they were new, because of the work I have done on them. However, placing emission controls on the classics is not an option.  The engines were not built for the controls and non-standard items being placed on them lowers their value. 

I would advise you not to come to the Detroit area on the 3rd Saturday in August any year.  You would not like the Woodward Dream Cruise, the worlds largest 1 day classic car event on that day each year. The event actually gets started about 10 days before the actual date, with people cruising in their classic from about 6:30pm till 10pm.   About 20,000 classics and muscle cars, some brought in from foreign countries, cruising an 8 lane divided road over a 21 mile stretch.  On average about a million people attend the event.  That is only one of several hundred classic car events that happen each year, and unless you turn America into "Amerika", they will keep on happening. 

I've been meaning to ask, why do you have a Mercedes instead of an electric car or bicycle?  Doesn't that make you a part of the problem you're so worried about?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Because I can afford to drive what I want.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

Hilarious thread... before getting too excited about forcing additional emission requirements on any vehicle, new or old, check out how successful the SEMA Action Network is at stopping local, state, and federal governments from passing many of these ridiculous fantasies.

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

In a word, "powerless".

I say crush em up or tune them up.  

Message 42 of 42
latest reply