cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assumed vehicle scam in the works.

I haven't sent any money (yet) but the messages and 'excuses' sound like a bunch of known scams that have been reported.  Is there any way to catch the perpetrator to prevent another bleeding heart like me from being scammed?  They think they still have me on the hook.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I just replied to the supposed seller that I assume it was a scam.  I assume I'll never hear back.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@leapheart 

About all you can do is report the add to the site you found it on.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

It was Facebook marketplace and as soon as I showed interest, it vanished and they went to email.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

So there probably is no need to remind you that eBay has no involvement in anything listed for sale on any other site except eBay? 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

scammers use Facebook selling cars, boats, RV'S and motorcycles asking for gift cards and eBay will handle it.  All a scam using a "lady" with a sad story as bait. Even the phone number they give goes to the scammers not eBay.  A super price $1200, then $600 for insurance, then $400 State transfer tax. Or hook, line and sinker.

Nobody in their right mind would ship a vehicle for free hundreds of miles to a total stranger.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Always ask yourself this question. Why would someone sell say a car easily worth 8 or 10 grand for 1400 dollars when they could call any car dealer (even a small corner lot) and that dealer would be there in 3 minutes with cash in hand? The scammer would not even have to waste time with internet listing, shipping, and so on.

Someone on Offerup here has a scam truck for sale. That same photo is being used and the car is listed in 6 locations in town. Also listed in a dozen small outlying towns.  It's also (same photo) listed in Alabama, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Kansas, Illinois, Minnesota and who knows where all else. You can bet a number of people have already bought into that bunk and it has 0 miles on it to boot!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The super low price is all you need to know it's a scam.   But you contacted seller anyway ("maybe it's not a scam and I'll get a great deal.  Gotta move fast before someone else beats me to it").

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

This subject has been debated here for well over 20 years.  Nothing changes.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Right? It's almost li

@tony1963 wrote:

This subject has been debated here for well over 20 years.  Nothing changes.

Right? It's almost like they're  just arrived space aliens, and have never heard of such scams. "We are new to your planet, and need to obtain one of your personal, citizen conveyance machines."👽

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Just curious:  When/if you know it's a scam, why waste your time replying?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

....What does -in the military- mean, and what are -ebay giftcards-?  

😉giphy (50).gif

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Maybe he thinks it might be real?

I would Scan my computer for virus as soon a posible

just my 3.5  cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Let me study this.  So a $40,000 vehicle all day long is for sale for $2,500.  Why bother selling it why not just give it away?

If you fall for this, I laugh and hope it happens to you again.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Note:  the OP has been an eBay member since 1998.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply