cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Check Engine Light Immobilize Vehicle?

I say YES.  Let the system recognize the condition and allow the vehicle to be operated up to 300 miles before shutting down.

If you aren't willing to do your part for clean air, stay home.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Limp mode.  If the problem is big enough,,,to shut down to protect???   

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

If the problem could cause damage to the motor, then yes.

If it's just a useless sensor, then no.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

None of these are "useless sensors".  They are part of a system to have clean air and economy.

I would be a proponent of having the vehicle's computer shut down the engine if the problem persists more than 300 miles.  Fix it or take an Uber.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Ha ha you mean sticking a piece of black electrical tape over the check engine light doesn't fix the problem? (jk)

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

And any vehicles that do not have "emissions" systems should be banned from registration, remain parked, or just hauled on a trailer to the car shows.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

None of these are "useless sensors".  They are part of a system to have clean air and economy.

I would be a proponent of having the vehicle's computer shut down the engine if the problem persists more than 300 miles.  Fix it or take an Uber.

That would clear the roadways.

I haven't seen a vehicle which didn't have that stupid check engine light on.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Ha ha you mean sticking a piece of black electrical tape over the check engine light doesn't fix the problem? (jk)

It must have fixed my problem, never seen the light again

Have a great day
Message 8 of 42
latest reply

Was a mechanic for 20 years. There is no 300 mile shut off. If it is on, there is a fault in the system. If that fault causes the engine to be unable to deliver fuel or spark, or determine the engines position to do so with the correct volume or timing, the car will not start.  If it is flashing, the running conditions of the engine are such that it can damage the catalytic converter. If it is a input that allows the car to still run, but not see temp, air mass, knock sensor, or mixture inputs, it may go into a pre programmed limp mode, depending on manufacturer. I have seen people drive a couple years with the check engine light on.  

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

😁

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

If you go back and re-read the original post (eyes rolling) you will see that I am proposing a regulation so that Betty, Barney and Elmer cannot continue to drive their vehicle while polluting the air.  Either fix it or take Uber.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

If you go back and re-read the original post (eyes rolling) you will see that I am proposing a regulation so that Betty, Barney and Elmer cannot continue to drive their vehicle while polluting the air.  Either fix it or take Uber.

Something like that might work in California, where it's pretty polluted already.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 42
latest reply

I want it to be the standard for all vehicles with Check Engine lights 1981 and forward.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Before pushing for that, consider my situation . . .

check engine light comes on, I make an appointment with the dealer.  The morning of the appointment, the check engine light isn’t coming on, but I drive to the dealer anyway.  They said there’s nothing they can do if the light isn’t coming on anymore.

I drive around for a few weeks, light comes on again.  I’ve got an appointment for an oil change, so I tell them I’m going to want them to check this, too.  A couple of days before the appointment, the light stops coming on.

This goes on and on, ad nauseum.  September 2021, I have to have it towed to the dealer (an electrical problem and it wouldn’t start), I tell them, by the way, that darn check engine light has been coming on again, check that out too.  They had the car for over a week and never did have the check engine light come on.

This has been going on for two years now.  Light comes on, I make an appointment . .. no light.  It came on again last week.  An I going to make an appointment?  No.

And you’d like for my engine to stop running?  Utter nonsense.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

The engine would only stop if the light is on for 300 miles.  If it goes off, then it starts over again.

The idea here is that we all deserve clean air - even if Elmer and bubba don't want to comply.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply