cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller didn't disclose title details and failed to include all items

Hi,

So I bought a car out-of-state on ebay a few weeks ago. (Not the first time I've done it.) Everything seemed OK with the description. Seller  seemed legit with over 100 feedback at 100%. I win the bid and make contact to make payment. I set up shipping. Everything seems to be going OK to this point.

The car gets here on 12/19. No problem with the transporter and the car looks OK. However, the title I asked him to mail hasn't arrived. The second key described in the auction is missing, too. After a few phone calls, voicemails and texts, I eventually get a picture of the mailing receipt, sent on 12/21. It doesn't arrive until a week after the car does, and still no second key. I continue to call, but the seller never answers. His voicemail is always full. And he takes forever to respond to texts. When he does reply, it's essentially "I'll get it to you soon." Soon never comes.

I take a closer look at the title. The seller never transferred the title to himself after he bought the car from someone else two months earlier. This isn't always a problem, but it can be a real pain in the rear if you can't get in touch with the previous owner and if your state charges more for delayed title transfer (Texas does). This detail was never disclosed. When I finally get a response from the seller about that and the key, he doesn't answer my questions and instead asks me if I want to reverse the sale. At who's shipping expense I ask, and never get an answer to that, either.

I continue trying to get the seller to do what's right (either transfer the title to himself, get in touch with who sold him the car to work with me or reimburse me for the added costs, AND send me the second key). For a brief moment I think I have him onboard, and then he flakes out again. The person the seller bought the car from doesn't respond. At this point, I have a problematic title and no second key. Resolving these problems could cost almost $450. (The car also had some undisclosed suspension problems, but at this point, whatever!)

This is not what I was expecting, so I finally contact ebay. I relate my problems and they essentially blow me off! Inbetween quoting policy and how they want to help, they say unhelpful things like "Well, you have a title...work with the seller," and "The car's over 10 years old, what do want us to do about it?" Frankly, this isn't the response I expected. After 18 years on ebay as a buyer and seller, including cars, I've pretty much seen it all. ebay's held my feet to the fire, and the other party, too. But in this case, it appears if it isn't outright fraud, ebay doesn't touch disputes involving real property. Car sellers can pretty much put anything they want in a listing as long as they have plausible deniability.

SO, Let it be known, you can stretch the truth and fail to deliver, because ebay will just look the other way! So much for the world's most trusted marketplace.

Thanks for reading my first-ever post here. I don't expect it'll be allowed to stay up long.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

D7D5AC62-D29C-4D32-BFFD-E0BEE13C71F7.jpeg

I guess it is easy for you to judge because you were not in contact with him as he lied about the entire car. He is just a used car salesman! You also are not out more than $17,000 for a piece of **bleep** that an Ebay rep lied about saying it would be refunded. 

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Haven't seen how bad the rust is but don't think you did too bad compared to others sold here. This one sold for twice what you paid, https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Plymouth-Road-Runner-/202173848795?hash=item2f12801cdb%3Ag%3APa4AAOSwZ... but only looks a little bit better. And this one sold for almost half what your paid, https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Plymouth-GTX-GTX-/332478323486?hash=item4d69409b1e%3Ag%3AndAAAOSwsBtaK... and looks a lot worse and doesn't even run. If you don't want to do a full resto on it, just spend a few bucks on cosmetics and sell it. Remove all those stupid decals, get some proper wheels and chrome bumpers and toss that steering wheel. You should be able to get most of your money back.

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Do you work for Ebay? You haven’t seen it. I am positive those pics listed on eBay were taken a long time ago. There is nothing to save! 

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

I've watched that show on TV, Graveyard Carz where they have fixed a lot worse.

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

I do not work for eBay. This is a user to user discussion board.

If you are so sure that the photos in the listing were taken a long time ago than you should have had it inspected.

Tony said it best.

"I would have NEVER EVER EVER EVER bought a car of this age from the rust belt without an inspection."

"You did.  Enjoy the $100k restoration ahead."

Sorry to say it but you sound like a whining child who couldn't be bothered to have it inspected and now wants to blame everyone but yourself for buying the car sight unseen. 

Hopefully the title shows up this week and you can enjoy your new to you car.

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

Thank you! What a great suggestion! I appreciate community members who help others problem solve rather than add insult to injury! 

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

I don't get it, surely there are enough stickers on the car to hold it together.

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! People have been known to lie about the condition of cars or not disclose the whole truth, especially when selling over the internet to stangers who may be thousands of miles away....

The ad says that the car is a project. You look at the pictures, and see what looks to be a nice functional car, so you forget the "project" part. In reality, a '69 Roadrunner that was fully functional (not a project) and looked like that, would probably go for at least double what you paid.

I don't doubt that the seller lied. That should be expected, unless you are dealing with someone whom you know and trust.

The real problem is that YOU disregarded what truth the seller did state- "project", because it doesn't look like a project. What do you think a project is? Project doesn't mean getting a nice $30-$40K car for $16K.

You rolled the dice by sending $16K to a stranger for a vehicle which you've never seen in person. You lost. That's the way gambling is. Ebay can do precious little about it, as the condition of a 50 year-old "as is" project car is subjective, and even if it were not, they have no way of knowing the truth; and used car sales are "as is" pretty much everywhere....which is why you're supposed to make sure what you're buying is what you want/what was represented, before plunking down your money, because once ya buy it, it's yours.

If it were me? I'd list it here, with accurate pictures and description. Probably get back close to what you paid for it. Cut your losses.

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Where is Aussie-Pete? This was about Pete, remember him?

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

He be down unda, mate.

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Where is Aussie-Pete? This was about Pete, remember him?

Scary!  Mr. Elmtree is the voice of reason here.  He is correct.  We have hijacked this topic!

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

Agreed! Sorry Aussie Pete.

Message 41 of 41
latest reply