cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a 1987 Buick station wagon with the 5.0 motor

I am getting the 87 Buick Station wagon ready for paint but 1st i have to replace the leaky valve cover gaskets{more junk to pull out of the way just to get to them}.Question.I did a major tune up and i have a very sight miss in the 5.0 motor.It is in the # 1 cylinder.I have good compression in it, i tried switching the spark plug and then the plug wire but when i pull the plug wire off it doesnt seem to run any rougher as it should.I can see the plug wire arching off the motor when i pull it off the spark plug.Thing it could be a valve hanging up from sitting.I was going to try some sea foam or M.M. oil in it.What do you all think?Thanks and have a good weekend! Bruce.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bruce -

Good compression tells me the rings, valves, and seats must be sealing halfway decent.

That would imply most likely not a head gasket issue as well...

Sounds like it has good spark...the plug you pulled out, how did it look?

I'm thinking valve issue on #1 as well...my thought, lifter not pumping up...

If it's been sitting...just putting some more time/miles on it might be all it needs...

I like the MM idea though...

When you do the valve cover gaskets check and make sure none of the rocker arm bolts have back off...especially on #1...

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Do the easy thing first, a little Marvel Mystery Oil and/or Seafoam and see if it takes care of a sticky lifter/valve.

When you swapped locations with the plug and wire, that would only move your miss to a different cylinder. Use a new plug and new wire.

Is the wagon black or another color? I think it looks really nice without the woodgrain. If it's black, you need to block sand the body by hand with a long sanding block... no DA sanding... and sand in all directions. If you sand it right, it will be laser straight.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on sanding by hand....no DA...

On a body like the wagon's, the extra long flexible sanding boards are the way to go IMHO...

They can be pricey but they do the best job and actually speed up the process some.

I'm assuming that's original paint...that's like 31 years old...

That should sand pretty nice...as good as it gets.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Wild ass question, but, do you have the correct spark plugs?

I had an '87 Jimmy with the 2.8L. Don't laugh. 

There were generic plugs for all 2.8's, but, I discovered that my '87 was a "one off" for spark plugs. Put in the correct Delcos and it ran a lot better.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Wild ass question, but, do you have the correct spark plugs?

I had an '87 Jimmy with the 2.8L. Don't laugh. 

There were generic plugs for all 2.8's, but, I discovered that my '87 was a "one off" for spark plugs. Put in the correct Delcos and it ran a lot better.

Mr. E, that is a great question. Have a reindeer steak dinner on me.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

What kind of compression number did you get on that cylinder? Over the years I've heard of many numbers that were said to be good when in truth they were not.

Good should mean 175 PSI or more.

Assuming the compression number is good, maybe a valve spring has weakened or a cam lobe is going flat.

I'd be tempted to put a vacuum gauge on it and see what that shows.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@fisc-bruc wrote:

when i pull the plug wire off it doesnt seem to run any rougher as it should.I can see the plug wire arching off the motor when i pull it off the spark plug.

Might be a bad wire that is good enough arc off ground but not the plug gap. If they are original replace them for sure.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thanks machine shop customs.You might be right.All of my Buick projects that have been sitting a while seem to run better and better once i get them on the road and start putting miles on them.Thanks Again.Bruce.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I used the same plugs that were in it.A.C.plugs.Thanks Bruce.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Rip.Thanks i will try that.Bruce.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Atikovi.I put brand new plug wires on it when i pulled a major tune up on her.Thanks Bruce.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Any one know where i can get the plastic clips that hold the side molding on the wagon?I tried e bay but they dont have the right ones?Thanks Bruce.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Most professional auto paint stores would have them.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Mike i tried the chevy dealer in town and they laughed at me.Tomorrow i have to head up to the next town and get a bottle of my afternoon medicine{glug, glug} because Sevier co. is a dry co. There is a huge Nappa store there, they made all my brake lines and things for all the old cars i have worked on so i am going to try there.Thanks.Bruce.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply