cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal vehicle deposit, buyer opened case for refund.

Not an Ebay deal. I had a $5,000 motorhome listed on various online sites and this person wanted me to hold it for him until he got his tax refund. He sent a $200 deposit by Paypal, (with a $4000 sale price) so I took it off the market for 10 days now. Yesterday he finally comes to look at it and decides it's too much work for him. Well, maybe he should have looked at it first, before leaving a deposit. Now I'm going to have a much harder time selling with the virus pandemic and state lockdowns.  Now I see he has opened a case with Paypal for Item not received. I know there isn't any buyer protection on vehicles and other titled property so I want to how to answer the case, short of just mailing him a brick with delivery confirmation.  First time it has happened to me. If da Dog or the Skillet Woman were still around, they would know the proper way to respond.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Paypal vehicle deposit, buyer opened case for refund.

If it was listed as pick up only, the buyer has lost all buyer protection for an item not received complaint, as pick up only items do not require tracking.The only way the buyer had protection for an inr, pick up only complaint ,is if the seller refused to let him pick up the item, which you did not do.Just respond that this was a pick up only item. Unfortunately there was just such a case on the buyer board not too long ago, and PP refunded the buyer his $500 deposit..so I hope that doesnt happen to you.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

And now that I think about it, I believe the buyer would have stood a better chance of a refund if he had opened a snad case, instead of an inr..in other words, he saw the motor home, and it needed more work than you stated in the listing.He should have no buyer protection for an inr case,but PP decides on a case to case basis for a snad complaint on a pick up only case..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

That is one possibility but I'm going by Paypal's User Agreement, https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection  under

Sending Money and Buying where it says, 

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program:

Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and boats.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

True enough, but again I go back to that case in the buyers forum(I think), where the buyer was refunded his deposit for a car by Paypal.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I stand corrected on that. This seller tried to cancel the transaction on the car, after the buyer refused to accept it.And the buyer was refunded his deposit.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Non-Refundable-Deposit-Refunded/m-p/30569098

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I offered the guy half the deposit back, otherwise let Paypal handle it. He tells me the pictures didn't represent the (32 year old) motorhome accurately even though I took them recently, and that to let Paypal give him the full amount back. Just finished a phone call with Paypal and pointed out the section of the user agreement where vehicles aren't covered by buyer protection, and Paypal closed the case on the spot. Now I suppose the buyer could still go to his credit card company and try something, but will have to wait and see on that.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Well thats great..good luck!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, we miss Dog and "skillet woman", dont we?....in my case years back paypal caved and refunded a credit card deposit AFTER the real bad buyer/seller from Canonsburg PA came to my house and changed her mind, then had the audacity to claim "fraudulent use" of her card....luckily i had already closed my account so i lost zero...Good luck...let us know.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The Dog & Skillet woman were Very Very Good People to have on this

Board!

Back in the Day when things were Good!

That was Great Time's ........................................!

just my 3.5 cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Yep!
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Message 12 of 12
latest reply