cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle Title Transfer but Buyer not present

Hello Folks,

I just have a question regarding the title.  I sold a motorcyle here on Ebay but the buyer is sending her brother to pick up the motorcyle.  How do I transfer the title if the buyer is not present to sign it?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It all depends on what state it's going to.  In Pa. all you would need is a copy of the sellers drivers liscense along with the title.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks. I will google her state requirements.  I've done everything on my end for a seller.  I just didnt know if it's safe to leave the buyer area blank on the title.  Ill just fill out her name and address as provided then she can sign it later.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@marinermikes wrote:

It all depends on what state it's going to.  In Pa. all you would need is a copy of the sellers drivers liscense along with the title.

I think the OP is worried about the buyer having an "open title" with his name on it.... but other complicated schemes, like the buyer giving their bro power-of-attorney and having him sign it, etc. there really is no practical way to avoid it...so if the buyer turns out to be a flipper, or never titles the bike in his own name...OP could be on the hook.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

It varies by state but here in Oklahoma all one has to do is fill in the section with the buyer's information, the seller signs it in front of the notary, and it's a done deal without the buyer being present.

It would seem to me that all or most all titles would be handled this way.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@gr8pryenees

True Monkey story.

When I went back to school, I had a motorbike.

One day I get a bill for 400 bucks in parking tickets, say what ?

I go to the parking office, and they show me the tickets.

There was a girl's name, scratched out, and my name on them.

I had given a friend an old car and it was in his barn 100 miles away.

The parking lady smiled, and said pay up, the car is titled to you.

And it was in a barn when she bought it.

The guy at the tow yard said Dude that ain't your car, parking knows her game.

The girl would buy an old beater, and run up parking tickets, until it got towed.

She never put the cars in her name, just stuck her plates on them.

Then just get a different beater.

They had ran the registered name through the school rolls.

The other guy had my same name, goofy first name, same middle initial, same last name.

To this day when I pay the power bill, I have to make sure it is me, and not the other guy.

I would insist that a name goes on the title, and you get a copy for your records.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thank you all for the replies. I will fill out my info on the title and print her name, then she just has to sign.  I can notify my DMV that the vehicle was sold and that’s all Texas requires. I will have a bill of sale. Of course all this depends on her picking up the motorcycle. She is having a hard time getting someone or herself out here to pick up. I’m really trying to work with her but losing hope and patience. She’s changed the plan 5 times already. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Also get CASH upon pickup so they cant pay through paypal and claim item not received.  I think the risk is more for the actual PAYER than for you.  Her brother could put his own name on the title she wouldnt have a leg to stand on OR the money paid.  But DEFINITELY GET A NAME ON THE TITLE and consider doing a bill of sale (I  gr8pyrenees sell this car to {Joe Blow] on {todays date] for the sum of {however much] and get him to sign TWO COPIES - give him one, keep one for yourself.  You may need an original.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Like Sockmonkey says, get the papers transferred to the buyer and if there is a notification to the state of the sale, do that too. I had someone not transfer the title and was semt a tow bill. I had my paperwork that showed a sale of the vehicle a year earlier.

The worst false identity that happened to me was another person with same name as me, but different middle name committed a few felonies and the police came to my door to arrest me. I noticed the different middle name, showed ID and was cleared. Thought I was going to jail and court another time because of that dude.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

The other guy had my same name, goofy first name, same middle initial, same last name.

Was he human or primate?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Just me, but I never fill anything out until the buyer shows up and money changes hands.

How can I miss you if you wont go away ?
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@sockmonkey

I used to get phone calls for a guy that has the exact same name as me. Not a very common name. He was a drummer in a band. Never got any bills though.

There was some outstanding bill, sometime, don't remember now: "Are you this XXXX XXXX?". Er? No?

Getting a new e number is always fun as there is at least one deadbeat associated with it from the past.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply