cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Scams for eBay Motors

I’ve been tracking a FB user for almost a year as an eBay Motors impersonator. Reports to FB and Google for the Gmail account they have used this whole time yield no results. Beware, Google and Meta provide safe haven for criminal fraud. They supposedly have AI to focus on other issues, but fraud isn’t of any concern. Also reported to eBay thinking they had more leverage to get something done. No response or changes in almost a year? I have proof. eBay does provide plenty of help for defense, but no other deterrent action towards the perpetrators. A triangle of theft enablers.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Facebook Scams for eBay Motors

If you are referring to the situation where a buyer finds a vehicle for sale on FB and the seller states the sale will go through eBay, please be advised that this has nothing to do with eBay.  What do you think eBay could do or should do with the perpetrators?  You really should be reporting these scams to FB or to the site where you find them. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

whaaaa?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Understand. FB and Google don’t do anything. I’m expecting nothing from eBay because they’re the victims. Just thought maybe they’d have more leverage getting FB and Google to do the right thing. eBay is a paltry <$25B. FB and Google user count is worth too much for advertisers & shareholders (combined $2T market cap).

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@kli-6643 wrote:

I’ve been tracking a FB user for almost a year as an eBay Motors impersonator. Reports to FB and Google for the Gmail account they have used this whole time yield no results. Beware, Google and Meta provide safe haven for criminal fraud. They supposedly have AI to focus on other issues, but fraud isn’t of any concern. Also reported to eBay thinking they had more leverage to get something done. No response or changes in almost a year? I have proof. eBay does provide plenty of help for defense, but no other deterrent action towards the perpetrators. A triangle of theft enablers.

eBay has nothing to do with this type of scam.

report em where you find em. Nothing else you can do.

From what we see on the eBay boards it is a profitable scam:

I don't really see how folks fall for it but they do.

That steal of a deal and, oh you are helping poor little helpless me in doing so; and then using gift cards or other easy cash.

They just fall for it.

Oh well.

Like going to your favorite restaurant and then having to go pay at wallywold.....

Just plain does not make for a valid reason to believe such stuff is real.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Last fall I reported over one thousand vehicle scams to Facebook. No results were apparent, and 100s more scams appeared - except some scammers blocked me so I could not see their subsequent scam listings, only the listing photo.  Then I started sending profane messages directly to the scammers account, hoping to get banned for "violating community standards" - but it never happened (dang, class-action foiled). Tonight I tried to find a single scam but none were there. I agree that facebook did nothing about scams for years, and I'm not sure why it changed recently.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Scammers don't know who is reporting them, but I too have seen the ads with only the photo. I think that is in the Facebook algorithm, not seller/scammer blocking you. The more you report the more of similar you see. If I look for X item, the listings seem heavy with those after that and that is just doing a general search. They know what you have looked at in the past.

I have seen a drop in scam listings over the past month or so.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

How is eBay a victim of this scam when they have nothing to with it at all ever?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

eBay becomes the blame game victim. People falling for the scam want to blame eBay for failing them, the scam victim and not policing "other" web sites. Until the "mark" contacts the seller, the ads are not apparent that it is a scam except maybe by price. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply