cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebays approach on curbstoners

What is Ebays official stand on sellers flipping cars on open titles ie curbstoning.

Example.

Seller A has a car on Ebay. When asked about title it is in person B's name. Seller A has no intention to transfer title into his own name,but to pass title along with car.

Bill of sale will now not match title,nor will the buyer be able to resolve any potential title issues with seller as the vehicle never was legally transfered into his name.

If title is rejected by DMV seller cannot get a duplicate as it was never in his name. If legal owner is un cooperative or unable to find buyer has a vehicle he is unable to register

Not to mention curbstoning is illegal in most states

Above is not applicable on licenced dealers who ofcourse can re-assign a title.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@hogwild96 wrote:

Or the starter in the valley under the intake manifold?

Sounds like Cadillac. The days of easy to work in cars went away with the 70's, but the newer cars have less maintanance and get much better gas mileage. And I don't recall anybody claiming their car from that era ever had 200,000 or 300,000 miles like cars today often have.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well......with my head hung low......way, way, way, low....I must admit that my dear, no very, very dear Ford Motor Company did the starter in the valley thing too. Deep breathe.....they also came up with the "let's have 'em pull the entire truck cab off to work on the turbo" thing  AND the deadly airbag thing.....I'm on my third warning and notice to take my '14 Mustang 5.0 in for a airbag replace......

And despite the entire Pintos that erupt into flames when hit from behind thing....my 5.0 doesn't even have a gas cap. I think the young engineers were having to much trouble trying to remember which way to turn it to get it off. Likewise with spare tires, jacks, and even lug wrenches. Why bother to include them? The general public doesn't have the slightest idea how to change a tire and grown men don't have the slightest idea which way lug nuts unscrew anyway. Sad, sad times indeed..... cry- 96.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I tend to like simple myself. The simpler the better. Over the years I've owned a number of bikes. By far my most favorite is my 1944 U Harley flathead. One handful of tools will take care of just about any problem that every crops up.

The bikes and cars have come and gone but the U (and the '50 FL I own...) have been with me for over 40 years. You just can't beat that low end tractor pulling power.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Rip, I'd love to ride a street bike again, but haven't ridden for awhile and this area traffic has gotten bad, they don't even see the bikes. They're too busy staring at their cell phones. We're seeing at least one bike death every 2 weeks now and a few years back, we might see one every 3 to 5 years.

I'd like to see the old vintage Riley and Crager equipment on the Model T. Originally they had 20 horses and with the Riley and Crager equipment, it would significally increase the horsepower.

I agree on simplicity, my 35 Ford Coupe has a 5.0L HO engine with AOD trans out of a 1990 or newer Mustang. I spent a week chasing an electrical problem, what several called "runaway voltage." I had 17.1 dcv going to the battery. Changed alternator, blew the fusable link under the EFI plenum. Did some rewiring, added a ground wire, new ignition switch, fusable link, and now my voltage from the alternator to the battery is 14.87 dcv.

The fancy stereo system now works, but I think the volt meter got baked just a little. Will put a temp guage on tomorrow when I clean up the wiring. I had about 75 minutes to install a wire from the alternator to my ignition switch, to "turn on" the alternator, when I converted the system to a single wire alternator, like a Chevy alternator. 

Then cleaned it up, loaded up the little ice chest, lawn chairs and went to a car show for raising money to fight cancer. Took the trophy for my class, 1930's. It was a lot of fun. 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@atikovi

Nah! There were plenty of cars back in the day that could rack-up high miles, IF people bothered to maintain them. Thing was, cars were much cheaper back then in proportion to MIDDLE CLASS income (and there were a lot more middle-classes around back then...)  so the people who bought the cars new tended not to keep them too long. It wasn't at all uncommon for the average person to trade it in every two years...or even every year, for a new 'un.  And in just a few short years, that once new car was being driven by some 18 year-old pretending to be Mario Andretti, or some bar fly, etc. who'd never do any maintenance. 

But heck, I've personally known quite a few people who had their 60's/70's cars into the 90's with well over 200K miles on 'em. I'd bet half the classics you see being sold these days with "only 40K original miles" have 240 or 340K miles on 'em- as did many cars being sold back in the day....you just never knew it, because they only had 5 digit odometers.

Funny how people just all of a sudden started driving more and cars started lasting longer as soon as the 6 digit odometer appeared, eh? 😉

@Anonymous

Yesiree, those engineers aren't stupid. They make very complex things, and they work (till just after the warranty runs out....). It's planned obsolescence- and it's being dictated to the car manufacturers. In Germany and India they've already legislated that all internal combustion engine cars will no longer be sold as of 2030. More and more countries will be doing this, as it is part of the UN's "Sustainability agenda" (I can't find the link at the moment- but you can read all about it right from the horse's mouth...)- Here in 'Merrca, they don't do things so overtly...it's safer just to foll the sheeple- so we have agencies like the EPA and NHTSA which mandate absurd standards that the manufacturers must comply with (Like achieving a fleet average of 54.5 MPG by 2025) and of course, the only way the manufacturers can comply while still delivering vehicles that anyone would want to drive, is by cramming them full of Star Wars-esque glitz to extract every single molecule of energy from that thimble full of gas while delivering 300HP from tiny 4 cyl. engine which must lug around that 4000 lb small car, which weighs so much because *safety features* (also known as distractions).........

We are quickly reaching the point where there will be no such thing as a used car before long. Once the warranty is up, as soon as it needs a repair, just throw it away.  Uncle wouldn't want you driving that nasty old thing that only gets 25MPG...so to save you $20 a month on gas and to save the whales, you get to spend $35K every few years for something which is smaller and crummier than what you had before.

Me? I'll stick with my 10MPG Excursion, thank you very much.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@atikovi  - with regard to old cars running 200,000 to 300,000.  It did happen quite often really. And the owners were always quite proud of the fact as I recall. But you must remember that the motor oil back then was real garbage. Even if you were real good about changing it...it would still sludge up so-o-o-o bad. As a kid, we would pull junk yard parts all the time to keep our heaps on the road. You could pull a valve cover and not even see valves or rockers....just sludge the shape of the inside of the valve cover. I've pulled intakes where the valley was completely filled with sludge. I mean completely full! To the bottom of the intake manifold lol. 

I think the modern drivetrains are mostly well made and that 200,000 to 300,000 miles are an everyday thing. But the rest of the car is usually falling apart. Plastic interior pieces, grilles, door handles, etc. , all seem to fall apart in just a few years in the California sun. - 96.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@legitimate_bidder - "soon there will be no such thing as a used car.....just drive and throw away"....well, once the new F-150 goes 100% aluminum (it's really close right now) maybe California should slap a redemption value on it. In the future homeless guys will just be pushing 150's to the recyclers intead of shopping carts.....

I feel for a lot of folks out there. We can hardly swing the monthly payments on a good, new car. If it breaks down at all...the repairs are so expensive that you wipe out your savings (if you're lucky to have any)  or you max out a credit card or something. Another reason folks don't "keep" cars these days and trade them right back in at the dealers. Haven't you heard the justification " It was starting to get old...I wanted to trade it in before it started breaking down on me".  Translation : "I can hardly afford $600 a month as it is let alone one month having a $6,500.00 transmission fix" - 96

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@AnonymousRe: Sludge:

Ya know, Hoggy, I think a big part of the problem back then was that unless someone was a "car person", most people didn't change their oil. Especially after the car left the original owner's hands. When I was a kid, I only remember one person changing oil regularly, and that was my Uncle Tony- and probably only because his pappy (my grand-dad) had been a NYC taxi owner/operator for 30 years.

I don't remember anyone else changing their oil. You drove the car till something went wrong...then fixed it, or bought another one. Sure, the oil wasn't as good....but still, if ya actually changed it every 3000 miles, it wasn't gonna sludge up on ya.

Re: Aluminum F150s. Boy, you got that right! Might as well stamp "Return for $.05 deposit" on 'em- LOl! "Eco-boost" my chooch! You ECOnomy will need a boost after a few years of that. And freakin' direct injection, so now they have to have TWO fuel systems- so they can have an auxilary port injection system to take care of the carbon build-up caused by the DI. Ridiculous!

I'm beginning to think that Rube Goldberg is still alive, and has gone into automotive engineering! (Or politics!)

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

The manufacturers are going to have to address the routing of crankcase gasses through the intake system which effectively plugs up the intake system.

The early direct injection design is just asking for problems.  Yeah, you can get a small boost in economy and power by doing the direct injection, however, all of that and then some is paid back when you have to pull the engine apart to clean out the goop from the crankcase.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

And it's all just a bunch of junk to save a fraction of 1 MPG so the cars can comply with Uncle's dictates- dictates which we end up paying a very heavy price for in reduced durability and exponential repair costs. And the crazy thing is, all of this junk may work when it's new, but when it's a few years old and starts degrading (but not yet failing)  even what little benefits such things offered, often become detriments. I see so many people driving 4 cylinder cars which get in the low 20's MPGs....which is what my V-8 Town Car used to get when it was 8 years old. When all the high-tech garbage starts to degrade, suddenly you have a weak little engine lugging around a 4K lb. car.  And how can one possibly keep 'em in tip-top shape and at 100% performance, when there are such a myriad of complex and expensive systems on every vehicle now?

Message 25 of 25
latest reply