cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1970 Dodge Challenger Listed as original, numbers match... not

1970 Dodge Challenger

eBay item number:

listed as "numbers matching", original 318 motor. I asked the seller for the vin#, as the fifth digit of a 1970 Dodge Challenger tells what the original motor is. JH23C0B355052 is what the seller sent to me. The fifth digit tells what motor the car came with. In this the "C" is a 226 6 cylinder car, not a 318 V8. A 318 V8 would have a "G" as the fifth digit... Source: challengerspecs dot com 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: 1970 Dodge Challenger Listed as original, numbers match... not

Now seller says it is a "G" on the title..... THAT IS WHAT I ASKED WHEN HE SAID IT WAS A "C".. LOL..... What a newbie.....
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Seller sounds like a real A.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sounds like a honst mistake. I didn't think they ever put a slant six in a Challenger.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Mike, we're talking Chrysler here...they put those anemic little 6's in everything, including trucks- AND the Challenger! Check this out:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-oddity-1971-dodge-challenger-...

I agree though...probably just an honest mistake on the seller's part

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

48 year old VIN? Dirt, re-paint, slight mis-stamp, maybe someone was calling it out? A lot of reasons someone could get it wrong.

I had a small part, yesterday. Is that first character an "8" or a mis-stamped "R"? Bottom 1/3 was missing. 

Toyota and Nissan like to use a mixture of letters and numbers. Is that a "0" or an "O"?

Looks to me like the seller is acting as an agent for someone else. Cut the seller some slack, they just made a mistake.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

"Hey Pedro, read me that VIN number, will ya?"

O-Kayie.  Jay. aich. twenty-three. gee..."

Did you say G?"

"Si"

"Oh, C..."

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Pretty much.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

My books shows the slant 6 was available in the Challenger although for the life of me I can't see why someone would choose that option. Go big; 440 or Hemi. No substitute for cubic inches.

My ex-brother in law had a Challenger with the slant 6 in it back in the day. It was kind of a dreary looking car. Plain wheels and the most hideous shade of chocolate brown ever. Smoke the tires; not really.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

LOL!!!!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Never would have thought that theywould put that engine in a Challenger.  I had a couple of cars with that engine.Woldn't want it in a Challenger.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Engine and transmission choices, by manufacturers, have always baffled me. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply