cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the ugliest motorcycle ever made?

With all of the heated debates going on lately, I thought I would start a thread on a nice neutral topic.

What is the ugliest motorcycle ever to come out of a factory?
Message 1 of 324
latest reply
323 REPLIES 323

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/480-139.aspx

Apparently also made by and used by the Jordanians.

Strangers on Steel Horses
Message 271 of 324
latest reply

tonsper1
Enthusiast
That's easy. ANY Hardley-Ableson!!!! Ugly POSs.
Message 272 of 324
latest reply

Show us a pic..
then show us what you like..
Message 273 of 324
latest reply

jackwoodstrading
Enthusiast
Honda Dream! Hands down. Hated those things. They were my introduction to Honda. Haven't bought one yet. Had to take the engine out of the frame to do anything. I remember them as 150 and 305. The 160 was a "better model" the 350s didn't happen till later.
Message 274 of 324
latest reply

tonsper1 (39 ) View Listings | Report Mar-31-07 00:20 PDT 271 of 273
That's easy. ANY Hardley-Ableson!!!! Ugly POSs.

I guess you're also including every metric cruiser that copied H-D styling (almost to a T) as well? Or is it just that you can't "afford" an H-D, so you hve to bash them?
Message 275 of 324
latest reply

wr450fdirtbk
Enthusiast
yamaha 550 vision , somebody had a vision allright
Message 276 of 324
latest reply

Then came the V-max...it was kinda like double vision.....
Message 277 of 324
latest reply

miguelp718
Enthusiast
I think the most ugliest motorcycles ever see is mine,the yamaha 1982 Seca Turbo (650cc),is to ugliest and nobody want to fixed,they said is to old but ,I have one more chance and I go to try.(Carburetor problem,front calipers,rost tank,):-(
Message 278 of 324
latest reply

pops5432
Enthusiast
Gear Head to the max I Think You Should Check on Who Harley Got there Design From. H D Didn't Start The LOOK. I Think The 305 Dream Was The Worst I had One When It Was Still NEW. Cut The Fenders Off.:-D
Message 279 of 324
latest reply

Yep, definitely looks like a Harley...

Message 280 of 324
latest reply

donemoto
Enthusiast
POps, I don't think so. The dream Came much to late to have been copied by Harley. Since these sites thrive on opinion and second hand info; ill add mine.

About 10 years ago I worked in a machine shop with an old guy who had been stationed in Japan in the early '60's. He said the GI's got to visit the Honda factory.

One day he and his buddy went to the plant while the originional founder MR. Honda was there (don't ask me to spee=ll his 1st name) answering some questions.

According to my co worker he (Mr. Honda) who was getting old and frail at the time; said that after WW2 all machinary parts were hard to get in Japan. Japan finally got some old contracts from Benelli and BSA. He and other engineers looked at second hand parts on these bikes.

And that is were he got his idea for the Honda Bently.
He said also that that designers later looked at motorcycles offered in catalogs like Sears and Montgomery Wards.
in a effort to tap into the American market. As for HD copying Honda, Time wise that's just @#$%^&*, Their Italian imports had that niche covered for them.
Message 281 of 324
latest reply

Don, if I remember correctly, somewhere on this forum are posts about Harley tooling being used in Japan to make cycles after WWII. There was one for sale a while back on eBay.

Anyone else remember? I can't find a link about it.

Message 282 of 324
latest reply

Here, I found it, at the museum link. It was during the depression that this happened (long before Honda dreamed of the Dream....)

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=81

Message 283 of 324
latest reply

pops5432
Enthusiast
I Never Said Honda Was The Make . I said Harley Copied A othere Make Of Motorcycle. Do You Know What The Make Was ? The Dream Was The Ugliest Of Any Make. But I Do Like The Picture Of The White One. My Dream Was Red.
Message 284 of 324
latest reply

donemoto
Enthusiast
Now things are getting sticky. Art begats Art...Or who copied who; in this case Harley.

I know there probably be corrections to my answers(rite Dodo)

The 1903 Harley was copied (in my opinion ) from the Spiral (a one off toolroom special by Herman Jehle in 1896.

AT the turn of the century small machine shops were experimenting with designs that were derivative....of the Thor.

Thor made and sold many bikes to major Companies like Schwinn-Indian, Cleveland and Ace , and to others to name some of the more prominate.

I recomend ,...The Illustrated Directory of Classic American Motorcycles, by Ted Rafferty as a place to start in separating Myth from Machine in this quagmire.B-)
Message 285 of 324
latest reply