Welcome home Brothers
cvma-pa.net Veterans Helping Veterans
Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

How many Nam Vets are there here with us on this board

coyotiess
Enthusiast
Dennishka Up north by Danang us ground pounders called one of them PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON AND THE OTHER SNOOPY.
Message 271 of 331
latest reply

coyotiess - oh yeah! those nick names sound familiar to me! thanks!
Message 272 of 331
latest reply

wwwam
Enthusiast
I made it all the way to my unit, caught one in the back.
Then I fell into a hole and got a severe head trauma. Don't ask, because I don't remember anything after boarding the plane to go over.
Message 273 of 331
latest reply

anyone else ever get remarks over the years like people associating you with some sort of viet nam vet stigma?

Its like some people already have formed a negative opinion or stereotype of what kind of a person you probably are just because you are a 'viet nam vet', like ex-spouses, co-workers, neighbors, extended family, etc.
Message 274 of 331
latest reply

cwcai
Scout
We can only salute you, my grandpa was also a vietnam vet and without people who fight for freedom, we couldnt live like we live today.
Most people today forget about that, unfortunately....
Message 275 of 331
latest reply

hdking3
Enthusiast
What makes a Vietnam vet? I was USAF from Oct '60 to Mar "81. Stationed at CAmp Drake, Japan Oct '64 to Oct '67. I was a telecomm guy. Was at Drake when US Army activated the 97th General Hospital that treated 'Nam casualties that were air evac'd to Tokyo. Arranged for a lot of phone calls home for the guys & the medical staff. Lot of my AF buddies went TDY to Thailand during my tour in Japan. Loved the service. Yeah, basic was kind of a joke, but lots of guys didn't do so great at it. Proud of my service time. Made me who I am today. Bought my 1st Harley in 2003 at the ripe age of 62. I 'm trying to wear it out before I wear out. So, am I what's considered a Vietnam Era vet? All military members, past & present, should stand tall & be proud that you contributed to the freedoms we're able to enjoy and often take for granted.
Message 276 of 331
latest reply

slvspur
Enthusiast
Yes hdking3, I would say you are a "Vietnam Era" vet due to the fact that you were not in the combat zone of Vietnam. However, you were obviously doing support work for those who were. Nothing should make any of us less proud of our service, inside or outside of Vietnam. Thanks for your service. I will hit 61 this year and hope to be able to own a Roadking soon. Ride hard, brother! Hope you and the hog last forever.
Message 277 of 331
latest reply

RIP uncle Gerald.

Gerald Thomas Dobbs
Private First Class

PERSONAL DATA
Home of Record: Etowah, Tennessee
Date of birth: Monday, 11/27/1944

MILITARY DATA
Service: Marine Corps (Regular)
Grade at loss: E2
ID No: 2083858
MOS: 0311 Rifleman
LenSvc: Between 2 and 3 years
Unit: GOLF CO, 2ND BN, 1ST MARINES, 1ST MARDIV

CASUALTY DATA
Start Tour: Tuesday, 07/25/1967
Cas Date: Sunday, 11/19/1967
Age at Loss: 22
Remains: Body recovered
Type: Hostile, died outright
Reason: Other explosive device - Ground casualty

ON THE WALL Panel 30E Line 024
Message 278 of 331
latest reply

gearjammer48
Enthusiast
I was in USMC during the vietnam era.74-77 Mainly stayed stateside. 2nd assault amphibian tractor batt. Camp Lejeune, N.C. Motorpool. Had alot of family & friends that went to Nam. Some made it home & some weren't that lucky. RIP MY BROTHERS OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA
Message 279 of 331
latest reply

Just stopping by to say 'thank you' to all that served in Viet Nam.

I had a brother there who volunteered at 18 years old. He was in armored, and man he grew up fast.

He's okay today - been married to a loving gal for 30 years, but I don't think he'll ever be the same. (At least, I'll never see that younger brother I knew before the war.)

War is Hell.

God Bless all of our troops.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. " -- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Message 280 of 331
latest reply

Everyone grows up faster and obtains a passion for life after that period, Dwilki33.
My older brother said the same of me...
Message 281 of 331
latest reply

liljohn7575
Enthusiast
I be a little late (as usual)but....
Arrived RVN 1968 w/101st Abn. "Visited" Bien Hoa, 😛 Long Binn,:-( Camp Eagle :_|(Hue AO) Transferred (suckered by an extra R&R)X-( X-( ( to 75th Inf - :-x(Later to become 75th Rangers of today) Pulled a tour hike'n as a LRRP B-)-- survived and humped my butt home. Now I'm just a NORMAL fella (Heh Heh)]:)
Made some friends, lost some brothers and lost my innocents.:|

All in all if I had it all to do over again ---- I'd freaken take a pass... LOL 😄

Liljohn
Message 282 of 331
latest reply

cwcai
Scout
Your brother seems like a really wise guy.
Message 283 of 331
latest reply

Liljohn,

You were in Viet Nam about the same time as my brother and saw the same places he did.

We knew everywhere he was because we had a huge map in the den and push pins to show where he was and where he was going.

My brother was in armored. God bless you, and may God richly bless are who served and continue to serve.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. " -- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Message 284 of 331
latest reply

aMEN. And Pass the Ammunition...
B-)
Message 285 of 331
latest reply